Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Just a quick post to say hi and that I am very excited to be taking delivery of my Nissan Leaf this week.

Hoping you all wont mind the stupid questions...I do promise to at least look at the previous posts for FAQ's rather than bring you all with the same questions you have answered many a time, and not just on here I am sure...

Anyway, thank you in advance for your patience :)

Seano

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi @Paul

Ordered the Leaf Acenta in the Gun Metallic Grey colour. Standard spec although gutted that I couldn't afford the 6.6kW on board charger... Does this mean that I cannot opt for the 32 amp EVSE from British Gas?

Erm...why...

Well, I guess it started when I started following Robert Llewelyn on Twitter. I became interested in the technology and then found out about Tesla - they have made the whole electric car thing quite sexy - and then I looked at the affordability. At first I knew I couldn't afford an electric car due to the initial cost of buying one but after much deliberation and some careful calculations (no guarantee that they are right mind) I decided to take the plunge.

Reason being that the monthly payment for the car is only (roughly) £20 more than my current fuel costs. This coupled with the fact that those fuel costs are on a 12 year old Focus, the purchasing of the "brand new" car also mean that whilst its operation will never be guaranteed, the Lea should provide us with ome motoring peace of mind if you know what I mean. That peace of mind has got to be worth the extra to charge the car.

Have to say though that I thought I knew loads about electric cars...turns out I know very little. Hence the above question to you.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Hello everyone,

Just a quick post to say hi and that I am very excited to be taking delivery of my Nissan Leaf this week.

Hoping you all wont mind the stupid questions...I do promise to at least look at the previous posts for FAQ's rather than bring you all with the same questions you have answered many a time, and not just on here I am sure...

Anyway, thank you in advance for your patience :)

Seano
We were all new once, but with 2 months and 3000 miles under my belt I feel like a veteran already!

Welcome, and ask away!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
You wont regret it! I have had my Leaf for just over a year, when I got my car people said what about holidays? I said what about them? how will you go on holiday? erm in the car??

Just done 450 miles to the isle of wight and back in a week, a total of 4 rapid charges and the rest destination charging for free at the place that we were staying, no range anxiety, the chargers all worked great and were free when we came to use them, it couldnt of worked better.

We packed a load of stuff in the car too, I have 2 x kids, so there was 4 of us and all the normal family stuff, it was a total breeze, loads of solar panels on the island as well so when we were plugged in and charging we really felt we were using some of that as there were loads of solar farms out there.

The car didnt miss a beat and to be honest we forgot totally we were in an electric car, the electric highway now means for us at least holidays to the south coast, wales, South cornwall and Devon are easily possible.

Your going to enjoy the car, I have made a video of this holiday and will upload it so you can all see how we got on, the only thing that was not reliable on this trip was my canon camera I was using to make the videos, it died on my half way through the holiday.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow @flipper 3,000 miles in 2 months! Dedication to the cause :)

@knoxie We too are looking forward to holidaying in the leaf. Not booked one yet, but won't be long I am sure.

Thanks for making us feel so welcome :)

Yes, I have already encountered some work colleagues saying things like when I see you at the side of the road shall I bring you some batteries? I laugh and say, but we do roughly the same mileage...How much does your "fuel" cost? They tend to shut up then.

I have also had the rather sensible person who doesn't quite know about the charging infrastructure available ask about what we will do when going on holiday here in the UK. Again, I am ready with an answer as when purchasing the Leaf, we were given a booklet called YOU + NISSAN. In there it states that if you are going on an extra long journey where an ICE vehicle may be more appropriate to the task at hand, they will lend you a petrol or diesel car free of charge for up to 14 days every year. Again, I like to follow this up with, does your car manufacturer do that for you? :p

I guess the only question I have at the moment is mentioned above. Does anyone have the answer, or can you point me to where this question has already been asked on the forum - as I am positive it has.

Basically, I couldn't afford the 6.6kW on board charger and so only have the 3.3kW one. When British Gas come to install the EVSE at my home I will have the option of sticking with the free 16 amp one or paying £99 for the 30 amp one. Will my car (with the 3.3kW on board charger) charge faster with 30 amp input than it would with the 16 amp? Or would that only be the case if I had the 6.6kW on board charger?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can charge with the faster charger, but your car won't charge any faster, so it would just be for future proofing and/or visiting EVs.

·
Super Moderator
7,453 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can charge with the faster charger, but your car won't charge any faster, so it would just be for future proofing and/or visiting EVs.
Yeah, correct!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts