Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Looking for new or used leaf cells for our 12kwh upgrade pack.

Have considered Sinopoly LiFePO4 and although technically fine, everyone I have spoke to would rather go with the original leaf cells so we'll go with that.

Would also consider a cheap/wrecked leaf.

Cheers,

Mike

Super Moderator
Gosh, that will be a lot of work to open up the "tuna cans" and split the parallel cells!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Gosh, that will be a lot of work to open up the "tuna cans" and split the parallel cells!
Yes it will!

I originally wanted to do it as LiFePO4 as i know them well and they are readily available but there is a fair bit of scepticism from potential buyers. Everyone would rather use leaf cells so leaf cells it will be....

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I now have two complete battery packs en route but wouldn't mind more!

Super Moderator
I now have two complete battery packs en route but wouldn't mind more!
:eek: Exciting stuff...!

I've had a look round the Indra site but I can't see what you're up to, although I've heard you've done some Leaf charger upgrades already...? Is there somewhere I can follow you?

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
:eek: Exciting stuff...!

I've had a look round the Indra site but I can't see what you're up to, although I've heard you've done some Leaf charger upgrades already...? Is there somewhere I can follow you?
I need to get on top of the website - its a bit shoddy at the moment! We're fairly active on twitter - @indra_rt

Have retrofitted a couple of Brusas now but I don't believe this is a good solution for three reasons:
  1. Availability of the chargers
  2. Price of the chargers
  3. The onboard and brusa chargers will not communicate meaning any EVSE under 32a will be unusable - essentially, both chargers react to the same signal, so if the EVSE says it has 16a both chargers will try to charge at 16a.
We're currently looking at a bespoke charge control board that will allow us to use less expensive chargers and only draw 16a on a 16a EVSE.

Also looking at a 22kw 3 phase option ;-)

Super Moderator
Ah ok, I thought the Brusa's could be controlled using CAN commands? I think the LeafDD has this built in to power the Brusa appropriately?

I guess an alternative is to fit a type 2 socket and use a charger on each phase, or as you say a three phase charger, I guess in that case you disconnect the OEM charger...?

Anyway, good work, carry on :D

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Ah ok, I thought the Brusa's could be controlled using CAN commands? I think the LeafDD has this built in to power the Brusa appropriately?

I guess an alternative is to fit a type 2 socket and use a charger on each phase, or as you say a three phase charger, I guess in that case you disconnect the OEM charger...?

Anyway, good work, carry on :D
The Brusas can be controlled by CAN but it seems silly to go to all the effort of sorting that out for a product which has been apparently discontinued - on my last contact with Brusa they told me they had stopped making them, EVTV reporting the same thing.

We'll be focusing our efforts on the TCCharger hardware which is roughly half the cost of the equivalent Brusa, good quality (we have used several), CE approved and most importantly, doesn't have a roaring fan (the brusa fans are really quite loud)!

For 3 phase we would need a type 2 plug so our thoughts are to add an extra plug somewhere discreet and run independently from the original charger.

Registered
On the WAVE this year I saw several DIY conversions with 3-phase charging that had a separate plug for each phase. I don't know the details so I cannot say whether it was a 3-phase charger or 3 x 1-phase chargers :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts