Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at Used city cars, crossovers, 4x4, sports cars - Nissan Used Cars UK it is not clear to me if any of their second hand Leaf cars have the optional 6.6kW charger, rather than the default 3.3kW one.

Is there a clue in the listed specifications, or are the 6.6kW versions rare or often not declared?

Charging the LEAF and How to tell if a Nissan leaf is a 3.3kw or 6.6kw explains how to check this in person - turn the car on and press the page button until the charge time display appears, check if estimated times to 100% charge list two times (for 3.3kW and 6.6kW) - or slide your phone beside the power unit to take a photo of the specification plate.

·
Registered
952 Posts
They are poor at indicating the size of the onboard charger on the website; you could call them up but often even dealers don't know. My dealer was insistent the car I bought was 3.3 when in fact it was a 6.6. It seems they don't consider the larger charger has a premium since the previous owner would have covered the cost already.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - that's what I was guessing from background reading. I guess if there were a few similar cars to view in person, checking this could be useful as a tie-breaker.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
There's an option under 'Equipment' to select either 3.3 or 6.6, but only 8 out of the 358 advertisers have bothered to use it. Even then there are a few different variations on how they have described it. Pretty poor really.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well spotted - I'd not checked that expanded filter on the left carefully enough - thanks.

As you note, the dealers have been a bit sloppy with the following variants listed right now:
  • 3.3kw On-board Charger (1)
and:
  • 6.6 Kw (1)
  • 6.6kw (1)
  • 6.6kw On-board Charger (2)
  • 6kw Charger (5)
Turns out one of these is semi-local to us, but its a year older than I was thinking. Perhaps I'll be lucky and find an undocumented 6.6kw charger as a bonus feature...

·
Registered
706 Posts
I recently purchased a Leaf with a 6.6kW charger and had the same issue with lack of information. I tackled this by creating a shortlist based on my other criteria and then spending an hour or so ringing every one asking about the charger. If they didn't know, I asked them to turn on the dash to see the tell tale sign of the faster charger. It's a real pain but if you have a relatively small shortlist then it's probably the easiest way. I suppose the other way you could do it is asking them to confirm the weight of the car from the label on the driver's side door. They wouldn't need to turn on the dash so a tiny little less faff for them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I suppose the other way you could do it is asking them to confirm the weight of the car from the label on the driver's side door. They wouldn't need to turn on the dash so a tiny little less faff for them.
I think that differentiates between 30 and 24 kWh battery capacity rather than charger size, doesn't it?

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
So why are they referred to as 3.3 and 6.6 then?
Because people don't pay attention to detail and are happy to just go along with what others say or write, even when it is wrong.

Rude to accuse me of being pedantic, just because I am right.

Check it out, nowhere will you see a Leaf onboard charger officially referred to as being 3.3

I suspect the often incorrectly quoted 3.3kWh rating initially came about due to there truly being a 6.6kWh, and people incorrectly assuming that the slower onboard charger is half the speed of that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
No it doesn't.

The information on page 16 has been commented on as being wrong, on this very forum years ago.

Check out the Technical Data page of the brochure you linked to and you'll clearly see that the onboard charger for both the 24kWh and 30kWh Leaf is shown as 3.6kW/6.6kW (option)

Let's please put an end to this incorrect claim of a 3.3kW rated charger once and for all. No such rating exists.

As I stated before, it really is about paying attention to detail, not running with the pack, and making double sure if you are trying to be clever and get one over on someone that you get accurate information.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sounds like the opinions of a pedant if I ever heard one! Don't worry there's plenty of us about ;)

I for one am proud of my pedantry :LOL:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No it doesn't.

The information on page 16 has been commented on as being wrong, on this very forum years ago.

Check out the Technical Data page of the brochure you linked to and you'll clearly see that the onboard charger for both the 24kWh and 30kWh Leaf is shown as 3.6kW/6.6kW (option)

Let's please put an end to this incorrect claim of a 3.3kW rated charger once and for all. No such rating exists.
Its pointless to berate newcomers to the forum about using the "wrong" charger rating when Nissan themselves are inconsistent on this.

Searching that PDF there are multiple instances of the text 3.3 and of 3.6, eg *On-board charger kW 3.3 kW/6.6 kW (option)*. It looks like when talking about the charger they say 3.3 kW, but for the battery they say 3.6 kW, which may be deliberate, or may simply be Nissan has been inconsistent in their marketing materials.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts