Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Don't laugh just yet - they're a vast electronics company with vast resources. And from China - home of cheap labour and huge EV subsidies.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,932 Posts
I found this very amusing - China's smartphone maker Xiaomi plan to make electric vehicle.

Is it possible? :unsure:

China’s Xiaomi Group to invest $10 bn in smart electric vehicle – SMAEV Smart Electric Vehicle
People laughed at companies like Honda and Nissan (as Datsun) when they entered the UK motorcycle and car markets in the 1970's - by the '80's they dominated them. Chinese companies have a different idea of the concept of intellectual property so you can be sure that they can obtain industry leading software and hardware capabilities in a relatively small number of years. And Xiaomi already demonstrate the ability to produce well designed and constructed consumer electronics such as phones and e-scooters, so if they are determined you can be sure that they will succeed in the mid-price market.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Chinese companies are very good at moving very quickly and developing products much faster than long established companies in other countries so I am absolutely certain that their car industry will quickly start exporting around the world. They have been buying up companies like Volvo as much to get hold of car manufacturing knowledge as anything else and history has shown that Chinese companies are very good at taking something and manufacturing it far cheaper than elsewhere.

Their major problem will be quality as every Chinese manufacturer I have had dealings with has put a greater priority on selling at a cheap price than on sticking to an agreed product quality. It is almost a matter of pride that they can sell for a good price and quality is not something seen as being as important as price. Many companies I have worked with have had to put outside quality people in to their Chinese factories to stop corners being cut but I am sure that this will change before long especially as many of the big tech companies like Apple make much of their stuff there.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I have a Xiaomi vacuum cleaner and it's bloody brilliant.

They make loads of good stuff. Car should be really interesting.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
609 Posts
If they are as cheap (relatively speaking) as their phones, which are excellent, then that should mean their cars will be practically disposable items!

Reactions: kkming15

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,932 Posts
If they are as cheap (relatively speaking) as their phones, which are excellent, then that should mean their cars will be practically disposable items!
Hopefully they'll last longer than their phones which are strangled by their UI overlying Android after a couple of years.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
609 Posts
Hopefully they'll last longer than their phones which are strangled by their UI overlying Android after a couple of years.
They last well in my experience, though I do tend to break the screens a lot. I've got a Redmi 4a which must be 4 or 5 years old now, still going strong and taking a hammering from one of the kids. I've had a 6a, 7a, 9a and the 9, all pretty good. Batteries are big on them so they are still well useable even after a few years when the battery SOH is down to 70-75%
I don't like the UI though, so I just put nova launcher on them all, its stock android then really.
The Redmi 9 is awesome for the money, 4 cameras, NFC, fingerprint reader, fast charge etc, there's always deals on them for around £79, picked one up recently for £49.

Reactions: kkming15 and dk6780
1 - 12 of 12 Posts