21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
8,689 Posts

·
Banned
Ioniq 5
26,262 Posts
Well I guess in Spain you can put it on the rooves of buildings and it works just as well. The issues this solves is that first it's only effective for part of the year in the UK, and then maybe second that Spain doesn't really need solar from Morocco all that much.
I mean why doesn’t Spain provide solar generation for Europe? It would easier to do than what’s proposed for Morocco.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
I mean why doesn’t Spain provide solar generation for Europe? It would easier to do than what’s proposed for Morocco.
Morroco is offering 20 hours or more a day, more than Spain can in the middle of winter. Taking into account wind and battery.

I'm inclined to think this is too big for the UK.

We should spread the risk, get investment from France. Land the cable in France. build more interconnectors between France and the UK ( and rejoin the EU whilst at it).

·
Registered
Kia soul maxx Jan 22
240 Posts
Morroco is offering 20 hours or more a day, more than Spain can in the middle of winter. Taking into account wind and battery.

We should spread the risk, get investment from France. Land the cable in France. build more interconnectors between France and the UK ( and rejoin the EU whilst at it).
If only 🤔

·
Registered
8,689 Posts

This really needs strategic partnering with German money, via French involvement.

The promotors will know that. They will get certain agreements in place, first calls on theoretical Moroccan capacity, then farm-in the Germans.

Promotors will be out by that stage, with some cash.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,761 Posts
Thinking about the energy independence aspect...
I think the current push for energy independence is being somewhat overdone. Sure we need diversity, sure we need to be able to change tack when the world changes, but some seem to be tipping over into a kind of energy isolationism.

I think the lesson should not be in how Russia' bad behaviour impacts others, (there will always dicks in the world). I'd say the lesson is more in how the rest of our international friends and neighbours have cooperated and supported Ukraine and each other. And then also how we've used the trade with Russia to sanction them. If you have countries who behave like dicks, you need more international friends and connections not less, both in order to adapt and have a chance to influence.
Oh I think you are bringing us round to Brexit again...:mad:

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Oh I think you are bringing us round to Brexit again...:mad:
No I just don't see the current crisis as justifying the position some politicians are taking. I think they confuse isolationism with security, it maybe the opposite, being isolationist makes us less secure. We can be interconnected without being dependent.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,761 Posts
I did a google earth search of the location. There is nothing but desert along the coastal strip. The waves meet the beach which extends inland for miles until there are some bumps in the land and a bit of greenery getting more and more sparse until you reach the border with Western Sahara. Below that there is even less greenery, an oil terminal on the coast and some wind turbines inland.

This screen shot is of Tan-Tan Plage in the top lh corner and is about 15 miles by 10. I guess there is 100 miles down to the border? RN 1 and not much else.

Map World Terrestrial plant Slope Geological phenomenon

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Utter tosh, prices will never go down again, we will be made to be dependant on nuclear supply, they aren't even owned by UK companies, there are much better options available and we should be investing more into wind, tidal etc

BBC News - UK’s nuclear power push may add to energy bills, minister says
I was somewhat confused by Kwateng saying it's a £1 a month each to build nuclear.
Erm they wanted to build 8 so that's conservatively £160b plus to build. Let's see divide by 28M homes = £5700 per household.
Or does he really think we won't pay the costs somewhere along the lines. Even if we don't pay the capital, we'll be paying for it in the cost of electricity afterwards.

Maybe he's confusing what they already spent. £100M for Sizewell, £120M new nuclear fund, £210M for RR. Erm wait, that's already about £20 spent per UK household without building anything.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
There's no index on that showing what the different colours mean. Did you accidentally cut that off?!
I was just wanting to illustrate my earlier point that Morocco has a good source of wind power (the orange blob on the coast in the north west is in Morocco). The fact that their onshore wind resource is as good as the UK's (as you can see on that map) is the relevant factor - we have some of the best wind conditions in the world. And definitely better than Spain.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
As you say, it is truly extraordinary on every technical level.

Now we need to tackle political and security issues worldwide for this to work.

Russian sobotage comes to mind.

Russian financing of Morrocan corruption, what could possibly go wrong!
Agree we need generation within our own shores for security of supply.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts