Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Looks very nice.

What is the pop up thing on the roof?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Good looking car. I was disappointed that there weren't more details, but the last few videos from Fully Charged, especially the new presenter with the Tesla in the snow, was awful. It looked pretty but told us very little. A bit like this one.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I posted his video, must have copied the wrong link. No comment on the pop up thing in it!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Oh dear...CHAdeMO...was looking good right up until then. I know there's lots of reasons why that should be ok, but the standard is CCS and I'm afraid this will be a bad decision. Certainly a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Is it?
there are more chademo charging points in the UK than CCS, and yes im going to discount the tesla network as thats no use to anyone.
In my eyes its also a better a standard as the vehicle doesn't lock the connector on, the unit/connector controls that.

Oh dear...CHAdeMO...was looking good right up until then. I know there's lots of reasons why that should be ok, but the standard is CCS and I'm afraid this will be a bad decision. Certainly a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CHAdeMO has its advantages like Kingpleb1 says. Considering the size of the battery in these cars you probably won't need to use it much anyway, but when you do it will be kinda slow.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Is it?
there are more chademo charging points in the UK than CCS, and yes im going to discount the tesla network as thats no use to anyone.
In my eyes its also a better a standard as the vehicle doesn't lock the connector on, the unit/connector controls that.
CHAdeMO has its advantages like Kingpleb1 says. Considering the size of the battery in these cars you probably won't need to use it much anyway, but when you do it will be kinda slow.
Absolutely agree that it has its advantages - no debate over that. Just an interesting position that there is an agreed European standard (admittedly under enabling legislation only) that a major new player to the market is choosing not to adopt.

·
Registered
16,783 Posts
By the time it comes to the UK I think it would have CCS but that could be years as they have a huge domestic market to sell to. Not bad for a 6 year old company and they may even out innovate Tesla eventually :)
Well, if they keep stealing the source code, yes:

The interior shots of the car borrow heavily from Tesla, even down to the UI.

I mean how hard would it have been to put the speech recognition button on the other side of the wheel?

Even the gear selector stalk is the same!

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bjorn says they do over-the-air updates which could be a bad sign. I think every car with major OTA stuff (more than just map updates) has had a lot of bugs and problems at launch and the new features often don't work very well. Also means they can do nasty stuff like turning features off remotely.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I would say there is a chance they could move to CCS but not a lot, Chademo is easier and cheaper to implement and CCS has its own higher costs with it.
Plus its ANOTHER standard they then have to support for every update and testing... Chademo at least limits that risk and means they could sell in the states easily as well.
Dont forget CCS is not a GLOBAL standard but a regional one, one the europeans failed to pick up when developing what we currently are stuck with.

The car locking the connector on is the biggest kick in the balls for me with CCS as it means as more and more cars hit the road, more and more rapid chargers will have people leaving cars locked on when not charging or when crawling along and could be moved to a standard 7kw type2 post. Chademo doesn't allow that.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
And there are two incompatible types of CCS - 1 and 2.
If we move to mainly DC charging then CCS may become redundant.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I think thats going to be a good while off now so many home chargers are AC, never mind public posts....

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Chademo is a complete dealbreaker and will prove its undoing.

As with the Ford Mustang Mach-E it is a shame they can't actually design their own car instead of ripping off Tesla...

For all their faults, Audi Porsche VW and Jaguar are at least offering a different concept of what a top-end EV should be.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Nothing wrong with borrowing from Tesla. Hopefully they can pull off the software.
Software is easy, according to VW at least. ;)

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Chademo is a complete dealbreaker and will prove its undoing
Is this for you, or more generally? Chademo is still the default in the majority of the world if not Europe.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
1 - 20 of 60 Posts