Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having bought our kona in March and hoped to have smart meter installed at same time. Then lockdown hit. Two octopus vans arrived today and were there.

Now I hope to be able to make the most of the agile tariff.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Can you confirm that your meters were commissioned and are both working?

That your IHD confirms this and your Octopus account is getting your readings?

My current 10 week nightmare, now means my Pod Point has been disabled by my DNO, a new supply to mine and my neighbours house will be done in 4 weeks time (due to a looped supply).

My new energy supplier has discovered issues with my previous meters and SMETS devices. All required replacing because of incompatibility with the old meter boxes and SMETS. I now have a new electricity meter with the old SMETS2 box, the old gas meter yet to be replaced!! The gas meter is dead. No communication of my electricity readings, my online account confirms this and now my IHD is talking only to the dead gas meter and recognising my old supplier. You couldn't make it up. Ruddy Covid just keeps stopping conversations with individuals or successful house visits. Any problem or obstacle these people pull out the Covid card.

One day I guess it will get sorted, just not any day soon.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Good point: our gas SMETS meter failed to connect, & apparently it could take a day or so, so the so hasn’t worked since deployment about a year back.
We were due to have an engineer out when covid struck, so we haven’t pressed them: the electricity one was the key to the Go Faster tariff to us!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Oooh. Kona arriving on 1 Sep, already an Octopus customer, requested change to the Agile tariff and a smart meter when I ordered the car. Looking forward to everything!

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona EV 64kw Premium SE
58 Posts
Bulb have an EV tariff in Beta. I've applied to join it as a tester. The beta tariff needs a smart meter (I have a 1st gen one, that has only just been tweaked to work with bulb) and. my Pod-Point gets installed next Thursday so it's coming together

·
Registered
Kona64
1,390 Posts
I'm with the EDF GoElectric tariff. !0 hours a night and all weekend at £0.08. Ideal for a 64kWh battery and solar with storage battery. I haven't used peak rate electricty for over a year now. :)
Does yours work with a basic smart meter , or do you need the Gen2 Smart meter ?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Does yours work with a basic smart meter , or do you need the Gen2 Smart meter ?
They fitted the meter when I took out the tariff last year so it's a Gen2 but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't work on a Gen1. You'd have to contact them if you are interested in the tariff. I sat down and did all the maths with previous meter readings and this one suited me best.

·
Registered
263 Posts
These are who I am with, doing my Man Maths their two tier tariff worked out the best for me(and yes I looked at Octopus, Bulb, and about 4 of the other Green, EV providers) EDF's emphasis was SMETS2, if I had SMETS1 we would have problems.

Covid is just stopping everything from coming together. I'll get there but not sure when.

I hope you folk have better luck.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you confirm that your meters were commissioned and are both working?

That your IHD confirms this and your Octopus account is getting your readings?

My current 10 week nightmare, now means my Pod Point has been disabled by my DNO, a new supply to mine and my neighbours house will be done in 4 weeks time (due to a looped supply).

My new energy supplier has discovered issues with my previous meters and SMETS devices. All required replacing because of incompatibility with the old meter boxes and SMETS. I now have a new electricity meter with the old SMETS2 box, the old gas meter yet to be replaced!! The gas meter is dead. No communication of my electricity readings, my online account confirms this and now my IHD is talking only to the dead gas meter and recognising my old supplier. You couldn't make it up. Ruddy Covid just keeps stopping conversations with individuals or successful house visits. Any problem or obstacle these people pull out the Covid card.

One day I guess it will get sorted, just not any day soon.
Unless I'm missing something it is all working from day 1, well day 2 since we went away for 36 hours. Our ohme charger seems to be working at last with agile tariff. Amazing!

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
234 Posts
@andyswarbs where roughly are you in the UK? we are with octopus, supposedly we are on a the interested in getting a smets2 meter installed but in the northwest they are slow to roll them out.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Unless I'm missing something it is all working from day 1, well day 2 since we went away for 36 hours. Our ohme charger seems to be working at last with agile tariff. Amazing!
That's why I asked, as my engineer told me the Electric meter was commissioned. It's not!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I’m curious to hear if your gas meter connected okay and is working: ours didn’t and isn’t (well, it’s working, just not sending data!)......

·
Life's too short to wait for a Kona .....
92 Posts
I’m curious to hear if your gas meter connected okay and is working: ours didn’t and isn’t (well, it’s working, just not sending data!)......
I had the SMETS2meters installed by Octopus before lockdown (upgrading not so smart meters from British Gas) and it picks up readings perfectly on both gas and electricity. I then switched my mother’s account to Octopus, who fitted new SMETS2 meters and it stopped picking up the gas readings after about a week. Due to backlog from lockdown we are still giving manual readings after 3 months of chasing. They acknowledge it isn’t working but I can live with it for my Mum. Octopus Go has been extremely good decision for me as the 5 pence overnight tariff aligns perfectly with charging an Ioniq as you can draw a full from empty charge during this period.

·
Life's too short to wait for a Kona .....
92 Posts
Having bought our kona in March and hoped to have smart meter installed at same time. Then lockdown hit. Two octopus vans arrived today and were there.

Now I hope to be able to make the most of the agile tariff.
Octopus has been a great move for me, particularly on the ‘Go’ tariff. Agile for my situation wasn’t quite right as we still consume quite a lot at peak times on non-car usage (cooking and heating etc). It was marginal mind, and once I have 12 months of data from Octopus I will recalculate and may switch to Agile. Whether it’s Go or Agile, for me it’s been the best thing I have done to truly get the benefit from EV ownership. Biggest worry now is whether to replace our other car with Polestar2 or keep waiting:). Latest Bjorn video suggests to me to wait and see .....

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update. I live in Eynsham near Oxford. I've been told by octopus that it takes 2 weeks to get the conversion completed. So what I'm seeing now is the ohme app working and taking the strain of charging when and how I want. This means I have had to disable hyundai charging controller, which is what I have been using until now.

So the ohme app, charger etc is all working. But it seems it will, should be up to 2 weeks more before I am on the agile tariff.

Speaking of agile, the challenge is to minimise use during peak times ie 4 to 8pm because that's when it is expensive.

As for gas apparently there's a delay in how gas is measured. So we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
Kona 2020 Premium SE 64kW
31 Posts
When I had my Octopus smart meter installed a couple of weeks ago it only took a couple of days before I was able to switch to the Agile tariff. Mind you I'm in the West Midlands and on electric only.

I had a couple of issues with my Ohme charger not talking properly with my Kona but their support team were excellent, talking me through things to try while monitoring my charger remotely. It seems to work fine now and picks up low Agile rates nicely.

I use the Ohme app exclusively now for setting charging schedules rather than the built in Kona schedules.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I had my Octopus smart meter installed a couple of weeks ago it only took a couple of days before I was able to switch to the Agile tariff. Mind you I'm in the West Midlands and on electric only.

I had a couple of issues with my Ohme charger not talking properly with my Kona but their support team were excellent, talking me through things to try while monitoring my charger remotely. It seems to work fine now and picks up low Agile rates nicely.

I use the Ohme app exclusively now for setting charging schedules rather than the built in Kona schedules.
From midnight tonight I become truly agile!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts