Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not an eco warrior I drive an Ampera to save money and because I love the car. I am actually a petrol head and I keep a Lotus in the garage for weekends. So the sun came out this weekend and not wanting to waste what was likely to be the last sunny day of the year I fired up the Elan. Only a mile down the road I made the mother of all mistakes (please do not press me further, I shall go to my grave keeping this particular mistake to myself). My Beloved Elan is imobilised at the side of the road. I can resolve the problem myself but not until I can get the car home and I realy didn't want to call out a recovery wagon to transport me just 1 mile. So I pop home and get my other love, my Ampera, and return to the scene of the event. Now the Ampera doesn't even have a tow iron so I had to loop my tow rope around the rear sub frame before hooking it onto my Elan. My daughter sits at the wheel of the Elan with virtually no steering or brakes and I pray she doesn't go into the back of me. We pull away gently and I creep the single mile back to my garage at about 20mph. To be honest the Ampera felt fine and it never seemed to be a stretch for her but from a full charge towing for 1 mile depleted my battery by 9 miles!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Re: Yes I know I'm not supposed to tow with my Ampera but...

Interesting you have an Elan... it is an SE or S2 or is it an original Elan?

My better half Sally had an Elan SE for about 9 years and it was a fantastic car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Wouldn't we all like an original? But no It's a 1992 Se turbo. However as a life long Lotus fan and having owned several I genuinly believe that the 1990s (vauxhall era) M100 Elan is the most useable car the ever made. The hood goes up and down in 15 seconds, the Isuzo engine is bomb proof and I could use it any day of the week for any journey and not end up aching, sore and worn out.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts

Yup, I know what you are saying. That Isuzu 1600 turbo was a great engine. Loved it. Although I am not a soft-top kinda guy I was sad when Sally sold it. I have done a spot of motor racing and I would love to have taken that car on the track. Stuck to the road like glue!

Those were the days.

Now, an updated version of the Elan SE with a electric drivetrain... that would be a cracking car - Oh! What's that? Already done? Ah yes, the Tesla Roadster. I shall dream on...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Well actually it is posible. I am also a member of the MG owners club having owned and restored several of those. One chap took an MG F and bought a crashed EV, i think it was a GWizz and he moved all the EV kit onto the MG and it was superb. I read the story in the club magazine and saw the car at a show and it was really quick. I had wondered if I could do the same with an Elan which would be very light with the fibre glass shell. The batteries could be stored in the steel backbone chassie. I have just googled it to see if I could find a link and google returned about a dozen different projects.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts