·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,860 Posts
I think that's the second 'triple the capacity' technology in the last two years, together with 3 'doubles'.

If we put all of these developments together in one new battery design, that'd make about 36 times the capacity, so, soon, we can look forward to having a 300kg battery pack that can deliver about 1,500kWh and over 6,000 miles on one charge.

... I'd like to see someone try to granny-charge that ... ;)

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know. That's why I never comment on these reports. Just post them to show that research is happening everywhere in case some battery anorak is keeping a spreadsheet and short of a few entries.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,007 Posts
The level of research and development going into battery technology is significant. Lots of exciting Ideas and promising leads. Until it exists in a mass produced form, it doesn't exist. By all means gets excited, but beware making plans on vapourware. This is what the hydrogen hype is all about imho. Keep people driving their petrol and diesel cars, sell a few more hybrids, because the "real solution" is just around the corner.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
608 Posts
There must be some limit of how much energy can be packed into a certain space, before it either becomes ridiculously unstable or dangerous. I do wonder where that limit is?

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
There must be some limit of how much energy can be packed into a certain space, before it either becomes ridiculously unstable or dangerous. I do wonder where that limit is?
I'd guess highly processed Uranium is near the limit. That's probably a bit too unstable and dangerous for most general purpose energy, so maybe start there and work back a little.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,860 Posts
E=mc^2.

The question is not how much energy there is in a thing, but how to get it out, usefully!

When it comes to using lithium ions as energy vectors of storage, a lithium ion has an electro-potential of around -3V and the ion it latches on to will be typically +1V or so, so 4V in total. This represents an energy of 4eV per atom, thus 4J per Coulomb.

There are ~96,000 Coulombs in one mole of charge (this is called the 'Faraday Constant', in fact) and thus ~400kJ per mole of lithium, which is around 7g/mole.

1kWh is 3.6MJ so 1kWh requires 9 moles of lithium, around 56g of it.

A 60kWh battery is therefore 'actually' using 3.3kg of lithium, flowing back and forth between its electrodes in the electrolyte. Of course, those latter parts, and all the stuff that holds it and connects it, is the major mass. The question of how much can you pack into a battery is therefore how small can you make 'those'?

(I've rushed that out from memory, if I have made an error in the recollection or calculation please let me know.)

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
608 Posts
I'd guess highly processed Uranium is near the limit. That's probably a bit too unstable and dangerous for most general purpose energy, so maybe start there and work back a little.
I'm holding out for fusion batteries!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts