Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Tesla state 120kw under ideal conditions. All the details are on their Supercharger page.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will take that bet ;)

I do not believe a single supercharger will deliver 135kW at this location and when all six stalls are in use we will see a serious power reduction like other UK locations.
This is wild speculation, based on your 1 data point,

The fact is there are no six bay superchargers yet in the UK so you do not know

·
Super Moderator
1,298 Posts
In locations that have more than two SCs, the power into each SC is split between an A and B side. So the biggest cut in power occurs between A and B side. This is why it is important when driving into and charging at SCs to be cognizant of which chargers are A and which are B. So, fill up 1A, 2A, 3A, before using 1B, 2B, 3B. So as to maximize feed into the car.

As with any modern EV, the car itself will step down its draw as it gets closer to full... So, if you're going to split someone's feed, it's best to get to the person that is closest to full at that time.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
FYI - This is the location: http://goo.gl/kuPDJq

Very close to J7 of the M20.

And that red-roofed building in the Background? The Maidstone Hilton. However you may be better off spending your 30 minutes or so at the Chiltern Hundreds pub which is just down the road (though perhaps a little below the standard expected by your average Model S owner).

·
Super Moderator
1,298 Posts
Provided they are waiting with their car, rather than off buying a coffee and a bun!
In which case, it's a guess... If they're out, about, and away from their car, then you will know that your power is split, and that's the risk that they do by being away. I'm not wasting psychic powers to figure out who is almost full.

·
Registered
964 Posts
In which case, it's a guess... If they're out, about, and away from their car, then you will know that your power is split, and that's the risk that they do by being away. I'm not wasting psychic powers to figure out who is almost full.
I am really surprised there is no state of charge indicator visible. Even Nissan managed that! It can cause problems with absent Model S owners on our Ecotricity rapids here and it also hinders other AC charging cars including Model S due to not providing any info.

Does the tesla Supercharger not provide public charge state info either?

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
This is wild speculation, based on your 1 data point,

The fact is there are no six bay superchargers yet in the UK so you do not know
It's based on my discussions with other UK Model S owners and a good understanding of the location in question... you'll be able to test this for yourself in the near future. This location will not deliver 135kW and multi car charging will have a big impact on charge rates (just like it does at all locations).

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Elon Musk has repeatedly promised 135kW but that has not been delivered in the UK. See link @Matt Beard posted for one such statement...
So we've moved from Tesla's marketing to something Elon said. He said a lot of other things in that October 2013 meeting. Should we consider them all to be gospel?

·
Super Moderator
1,298 Posts
I am really surprised there is no state of charge indicator visible. Even Nissan managed that! It can cause problems with absent Model S owners on our Ecotricity rapids here and it also hinders other AC charging cars including Model S due to not providing any info.

Does the tesla Supercharger not provide public charge state info either?
It does for completed... But not for almost there or not even close... It gives colors and blinks. When it starts the operator can look at the display screens and it will tell them how long it will take to get to the level on the slider bar, but that soon disappears.

The port is where the color blinks occur.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts