Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to this
Hydrogen cars to cost the same as hybrids by 2025, say Toyota | Autocar

FCEVs will cost the same as current petrol hybrids by 2025. And they will be able to make a full 30k cars a year.

By which time EVs will be cheaper than either, with running costs far lower, as in order of magnitude lower, and millions will be made.

How come they cant look at that and see the game is up?

·
Chartered Engineer
1,841 Posts
The problem is that battery costs are expected to mean BEVs will reach cost parity with ICE vehicles by 2020, so by 2025 should still be dramatically cheaper than a FCEV. Couple that with the 10x greater cost to install a filling point and the phrase "dead in the water" seems appropriate.

The Mirai seems quite nice to drive although like the Prius it doesn't get the pulse racing - the interior ergonomics are awful IMHO but that's got nothing to do with the FC bits. The cost equation just doesn't add up for passenger cars and probably never will in my view. The stack alone is still in the order of $100k by the best industry estimates so selling more of them will just mean a bigger loss.

Now for trucks there may be a good case and ships definitely so I think given some time.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,613 Posts
The stack alone is still in the order of $100k by the best industry estimates so selling more of them will just mean a bigger loss.
It's OK, they'll just charge £650 for the service every 6,000 miles...

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Probably extracting hydrogen from the gas that is passing through. I hope Aberdeen has an excess of electricity as well as selling wind generated electrons to us down south.

EDIT
Just read their news release, are they really heating houses with hydrogen???

How energy intensive is it extracting hydrogen from natural gas or water compared to using gas conventionally or using a heat pump!

Someone there is wearing very rose tinted glasses or receiving weighty bungs from the oil industry.

·
Registered
11,017 Posts
The only reason the HFC industry keeps going is they keep getting grant funding.

It's still very fashionable.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Someone there is wearing very rose tinted glasses or receiving weighty bungs from the oil industry.
Not sure who's funding it all, TBH.
I did hear the 3 x Mirai they have were free.
The hydrogen buses are good, I can see a case for those just now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
That's the official line, but it's weird that they also talk about how they're planning on putting in large enough lithium-ion batteries to power a BEV.
Why is it weird? They don’t want to be 100% reliant on any one technology. Keeping your options open is far from weird.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts