Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm due to take delivery of my ZS around mid March - in searching the forum I've discovered there was an issue with the BMS released in Oct/Nov. Should I be worried my car will be running this version of the BMS?

Can I reject the car if it is running this buggy version? I realise there is an update now but I'm reading of some huge drops in range which may take months to bring back up through balancing (it sounds a major headache)

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,928 Posts
Should I be worried my car will be running this version of the BMS?
Can't say for definite, but would be highly surprised if you pick up a car with the buggy BMS. All current updates should be applied to you car as part of the pre-sale inspection. They have been on deliveries of the past. As the latest, and repaired/improved, BMS was dated th 15/1/21 your car should come with it. If you're really worried about it, it's best to give your dealer a call now and tell them that if it's not all tickety-boo before you pick it up you're not taking it. However, I don't think you should be too worried.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't say for definite, but would be highly surprised if you pick up a car with the buggy BMS.
Nielew,

Thanks - that's my main concern... I think there may be a fair chance it will currently have the buggy BMS and that they will update it with the fix and cause the range issues.

So it will be a choice between having an out of date BMS with all their issues or getting it updated and having range issues (I'd be devastated if I was getting 70miles per charge like some have stated)

I will call or email tomorrow but I'm struggling myself to my head round it and explain on here so I'm not sure how much sense I will make to them ha.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,928 Posts
I think there may be a fair chance it will currently have the buggy BMS and that they will update it with the fix and cause the range issues.
No, that's not the point I was trying to make. I was trying to alleviate your fears by telling you that your car will, in all likelihood, have the 15/1/21 BMS update which fixes all the previous problems with the BMS and should work without any problems.

As I said, if you have any doubts contact your dealer and make sure.

As the latest, and repaired/improved, BMS was dated th 15/1/21

Reactions: Bombuzal

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same concerns as Bombuzal. I'm considering buying a used ZS EV and I know it is a nice car but the BMS issues are not good. I cannot spend months balancing the battery and having less range.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exactly - I get theres an updated BMS but what is the current one thats on pre-delivered vehicles which are already in the UK? The update is a fix but at the same time is the cause of the range issues.

Maybe its possible to downgrade the BMS to an earlier version and then put the newest BMS on... but if they are updating from the buggy BMS then this is going to cause the range issues.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
627 Posts
My understanding of this is that the old BMS software caused the battery to be out of balance and when the update was applied then you had to spend ages rebalancing the battery.

However if your purchasing a brand new car that has the latest software on it from day one it should arrive with a nicely balanced battery straight away and the new software should keep it that way.

So you should have no issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Drewby80. But if it is not brand new, there is a risk that the car might have (or had) the faulty BMS version. I've seen some ads for ZS EV Exclusive, less than 2k miles and very good price. Maybe I'm just paranoid but it's suspicious.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Most of the issues hove bend blown out of proportion by a few owners who drive a lot and rapid charge a lot. Most owners have been in lockdown and not been driving much. If the car has the duff BMS then it should not take long to get back to normal, if it hadn’t been driven much, or if it’s new there will be no battery issues, but if the dealer is worth his salt he should have plugged the car in and made sure that all the updates have been done to the car whether new or second hand.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My understanding of this is that the old BMS software caused the battery to be out of balance and when the update was applied then you had to spend ages rebalancing the battery.

However if your purchasing a brand new car that has the latest software on it from day one it should arrive with a nicely balanced battery straight away and the new software should keep it that way.

So you should have no issues.
This is it... the car is already in the UK - it can't have the new BMS unless someone has took it upon themselves to updated it in the last few weeks and if so which version are they updating from - the update is to fix the previous version issues but in itself is causing issues.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most of the issues hove bend blown out of proportion by a few owners who drive a lot and rapid charge a lot. Most owners have been in lockdown and not been driving much. If the car has the duff BMS then it should not take long to get back to normal, if it hadn’t been driven much, or if it’s new there will be no battery issues, but if the dealer is worth his salt he should have plugged the car in and made sure that all the updates have been done to the car whether new or second hand.
Its new but I'm assuming it was in the UK or enroute prior to the latest BMS - it has to be updated from a previous version and I'm worried this is where I will have issues... I will contact the dealer tomorrow though and see what their thoughts are on the matter.
Thanks

Mike - I actually lay the blame partly at your feet, I was all set on another Leaf or possibly the Corsa-e until I came across your YouTube videos 🤣 seriously though I've watched them all - cheers

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
627 Posts
Thanks Drewby80. But if it is not brand new, there is a risk that the car might have (or had) the faulty BMS version. I've seen some ads for ZS EV Exclusive, less than 2k miles and very good price. Maybe I'm just paranoid but it's suspicious.
I seriously doubt that the battery could have become that unbalanced in only 2000 miles.

Regardless of how bad the BMS software was, if your buying it from a dealer you’re covered.

There could be any number of reasons why it’s back on the market, especially at the moment.

I guess you have to look at the worst case scenario, suppose you do have to rebalance it is the car going to be capable of doing all of your daily driving while this is happening?

I have a 40 leaf that had a massive imbalance when I got it 6 months ago, it’s now sorted but I didn’t have any usability or range issues while it rebalanced.

What is your daily range requirement?

You need to email the dealer and let them know that you require the vehicle to be able to cover this range and get them to confirm in writing that it is capable of doing that.

if you get it and it isn’t you can just reject the car sand demand your money back.

If you don’t have any issues you have a good car at a good price, if you do you have a cast iron case to reject it and get a refund.

I don’t really see how you can lose?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Drewby80, you are right. My daily commute is 50 miles in total but I live in a flat and I don't have access to a charger overnight. There are a couple of Pulse chargers very close but they are broken and they don't fix them (my neighbour has an EV and has reported the fault).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My daily commute could easily be achieved with a 70 mile range as well but with spring, summer and hopefully a easing of restrictions its an annoyance/stress I could do without if I wanted to go further, especially with limited charge speeds added

·
Registered
628 Posts
I think the only way you are going to get a definitive answer to put your mind at rest is to speak to your dealer and ask them. If they don’t sound very interested in answering the point, you could say your order is conditional on the car not only having the correct BMS, but that it is also correctly balanced and good to go.

Gut feeling is that if you are buying a new car it should come on the latest BMS from new and be at full capacity. It would be ridiculous to sell someone a new car with an unbalanced battery and ask them to rebalance it over the coming months.

Having said that, having read some of the stuff on the ZS EV Facebook group and some of the nonsense some dealers come back with, like saying using a car wash invalidates your warranty, or the roof rails issue ongoing with the MG5, anything is possible and it would be better to ask than be disappointed.

I nearly bought a ZS EV when they were launched but cancelled my deposit due to it not being able to tow after all (dealers had said on the forum that it could tow before hand).

I feel like I had a lucky escape. Since then the Leicester dealership has closed down, so there is no MG dealer in the county anymore. That would have been a pain. All the issues going on it feels like the dealer network and product is still a bit in the developing stage. I think for now I’m holding off for the next gen / facelift ZS EV due later this year with a bigger battery and hopefully some other improvements like a tow rating, charge timing and preheat built into the car. All of that said, I’m sure the silent majority have no issue with their ZS and provided your local dealer is a good one, nothing can touch it for value (other than the MG5)

·
Registered
275 Posts
There’s a load of low mileage lightly used and/or pre-registered cars around because a boatload of them were pre-registered in late 2020, presumably in line with the VAG CO2 pool agreement. Not because of issues with software.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,928 Posts
Exactly - I get theres an updated BMS but what is the current one thats on pre-delivered vehicles which are already in the UK? The update is a fix but at the same time is the cause of the range issues.

Maybe its possible to downgrade the BMS to an earlier version and then put the newest BMS on... but if they are updating from the buggy BMS then this is going to cause the range issues.
I still have to say that I feel your fears are unfounded.

Reactions: Bombuzal

·
Registered
5 Posts
There’s a load of low mileage lightly used and/or pre-registered cars around because a boatload of them were pre-registered in late 2020, presumably in line with the VAG CO2 pool agreement. Not because of issues with software.
I didn't know about the VAG CO2 agreement. That makes a lot of sense then. Thanks Kiltox.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,061 Posts
blown out of proportion by a few owners
few owners who drive a lot and rapid charge a lot
So representative of what we would all be saying had the majority of us not been in stay at home lockdown? :ROFLMAO:

In 2019 I drove a lot and I rapid charged most of the time. In 2020 I drove a lot less but still rapid charged when I could (because it was free and I was occasionally out on the road as a key worker), in 2021 I've sat working at a desk at home slowly turning into a gelatinous blob driving no where (never rapid charging mainly because I'm going no where and the fact the usual rapids I used have over the top fees on them now) and reading the worrying stories of those who still follow my old use case or driving and charging.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Exactly. I traded mine in after ~6 months of light use because my home charging died, so I needed something with a fuel tank. Not everything is a conspiracy.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts