Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a few months now, I am unable to download my telemetrics off the Nissan You+Nissan website.

CarWings home is empty, probably due to death of Flash.

The history pop-out box gives me this:

I had already logged into the main Nissan.co.uk website and CarWings through there.

Can other people access their driving history? Or is it just me.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Does it still work via the phone app?

I have only ever tried to look at the driving data history via the phone app and that still seems to be working for me - however I notice the presentation of the data in the app has changed a few weeks/months ago - now you can't see individual driving "sessions" within a day, just the total mileage, energy consumption etc for that whole day. (Which I'm fine with)

It's still semi-unreliable in that certain journeys at random don't get logged - so if I make 4 separate trips in a day, one of them might not get logged causing the total driving distance etc not to match reality. Doesn't seem to happen nearly as often as it used to though - the data is semi-usable now and more often right than wrong instead of the reverse which used to be the case. :ROFLMAO:

I have never had much luck with the You+Nissan web portal, it frequently gives me errors even just trying to log in sometimes, while the iPhone app is much more reliable and rarely gives me any problems.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Here is my driving stats from yesterday and it looks accurate so data is still being collected for me:

Looking back I see logging every day for months except the occasional Saturday / Sunday when the car wasn’t driven.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
More data in the app:

Seems to be working..so the data is in there even if the website won't hand it over. :)

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Hah! I didn't even get as far as you. :LOL:

Just logging into You+Nissan via a web browser gave me this:

Looks like they're having problems...

As I said, the website is really unreliable in my experience but the app works pretty reliably. Doesn't really help you if you're trying to download data to your PC of course.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,507 Posts
Here is my driving stats from yesterday and it looks accurate so data is still being collected for me:
sho
What phone do you have as it looks different to my Android app layout? Mine also shows on the same page, power regenerated, (I average just over 20% regnerated kwh) and cost per 100miles rather than cost/mile which would be more useful.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
What phone do you have as it looks different to my Android app layout? Mine also shows on the same page, power regenerated, (I average just over 20% regnerated kwh) and cost per 100miles rather than cost/mile which would be more useful.
It's an iPhone 11.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Ok so I managed to get data from the You+Nissan portal @wyx087. On the screen with the error I clicked on Leaf, then the red connect button under Nissan connect:

In the next page I can see current battery level, climate control timer, (the one off timer from the app) further down there is an option eco driving which pops a pane out from the right hand side that looks very similar to what I find in the phone app:

Not very user friendly though as you have to scroll a long way to read everything when they could have just displayed it in the main page instead of a pop out...

There's also driving records:

That's just some of the information I've found there. There's actually a lot more info there than I thought and some things not shown in the iPhone app like number of trips per day. (Although judging by some high numbers it's probably measuring the number of times the car is turned on and off again even if it doesn't move!)

This section of the portal seems to have had a rework since I last used it in July to add the car to my account...I don't remember this much information being available before.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Some working some not.
See screenshot from my linux computer.

But I can see and instant charge but not climate control

EDIT: Refreshed the screen and now I see it.

And here is February's

So yes it is sort of working, in a now you see me now you don't sort of way....
Tony

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, thank you all for posting.

So it looks like the Nissan Connect webpage on newer cars still works. The electricity consumption section of driving history is what I'm interested in. There, I can download the whole month's log on an individual journey basis.

I have a spreadsheet that calculates total car spending (and per month, per mile cost) based on those telemetrics (energy used and miles driven). The telemetrics miles driven is 99% correct when added to my purchase mileage and compared against odometer. That's over 30k miles under my ownership. If only I can download them....

To answer @DBMandrake question in 2nd post. The app works absolutely fine (that's all that matters to the masses these days isn't it)...... I can access driving history tab, then under electric rate simulation tab, I can click into "electricity usage records", which is the data I want to download in CSV format. On your Nissan Connect cars, hopefully you can download the same data under the Electricity Consumption.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does it still work via the phone app?

I have only ever tried to look at the driving data history via the phone app and that still seems to be working for me - however I notice the presentation of the data in the app has changed a few weeks/months ago - now you can't see individual driving "sessions" within a day, just the total mileage, energy consumption etc for that whole day. (Which I'm fine with)

It's still semi-unreliable in that certain journeys at random don't get logged - so if I make 4 separate trips in a day, one of them might not get logged causing the total driving distance etc not to match reality. Doesn't seem to happen nearly as often as it used to though - the data is semi-usable now and more often right than wrong instead of the reverse which used to be the case. :ROFLMAO:

I have never had much luck with the You+Nissan web portal, it frequently gives me errors even just trying to log in sometimes, while the iPhone app is much more reliable and rarely gives me any problems.
If you don't click the okay button on start up the journey doesn't get logged I've found.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
If you don't click the okay button on start up the journey doesn't get logged I've found.
Yes I've noticed this, also you can't remote control the car (check battery status, start climate control etc) if you pressed cancel last time the car was on, until next time you turn the car on and press OK. (Another thing that can cause this is turning the car on for a few seconds then off again before pressing OK - the car acts as if you pressed cancel and disables remote access until next time you press OK!)

However apart from testing this deliberately, I religiously make sure I press OK, and last year it still used to frequently miss entire journey's in the stats, I'd say at least 1 in 4 journeys simply wasn't logged at all. This was back when the app listed each individual journey and its length within a given day, so it was obvious when I knew I'd made 4 journeys but only 3 were logged and the total mileage was therefore incorrect... I stopped looking at the stats because they were nearly always incorrect.

The app no longer seems to break down individual journeys in a given day - just a total mileage and efficiency for the day, (not sure when this changed) however on looking back over the last few weeks of data it looks like it is now much more accurate and at a casual glance is not missing journeys anymore. So Nissan have definitely been doing some work on the backend as the data seems more accurate now and the presentation of the data in the app has significantly changed.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes I've noticed this, also you can't remote control the car (check battery status, start climate control etc) if you pressed cancel last time the car was on, until next time you turn the car on and press OK. (Another thing that can cause this is turning the car on for a few seconds then off again before pressing OK - the car acts as if you pressed cancel and disables remote access until next time you press OK!)

However apart from testing this deliberately, I religiously make sure I press OK, and last year it still used to frequently miss entire journey's in the stats, I'd say at least 1 in 4 journeys simply wasn't logged at all. This was back when the app listed each individual journey and its length within a given day, so it was obvious when I knew I'd made 4 journeys but only 3 were logged and the total mileage was therefore incorrect... I stopped looking at the stats because they were nearly always incorrect.

The app no longer seems to break down individual journeys in a given day - just a total mileage and efficiency for the day, (not sure when this changed) however on looking back over the last few weeks of data it looks like it is now much more accurate and at a casual glance is not missing journeys anymore. So Nissan have definitely been doing some work on the backend as the data seems more accurate now and the presentation of the data in the app has significantly changed.
Hahaha yeah the leaf has its querks.

Oh an thanks for the other tips as dont know that.

It still does break down individual journeys each time, tho I seem to remember its hidden and not at the front of the app, if that makes sense lol.

I'll have a gander after work and post back.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Ok, thank you all for posting.

So it looks like the Nissan Connect webpage on newer cars still works. The electricity consumption section of driving history is what I'm interested in. There, I can download the whole month's log on an individual journey basis.

I have a spreadsheet that calculates total car spending (and per month, per mile cost) based on those telemetrics (energy used and miles driven). The telemetrics miles driven is 99% correct when added to my purchase mileage and compared against odometer. That's over 30k miles under my ownership. If only I can download them....
I wouldn't get too excited about those stats - they're not very accurate if you're trying to calculate your total electricity use.

I have a kWh meter installed in my Rolec (which is accurate) and have been taking that reading since the start of January, logging the miles travelled and calculating the true miles/kWh at the wall and the figure differs greatly from that reported by the car.

My figures for January and February are:

Car average miles/kWh (taken from the centre console, reset at the start of each month, but agrees closely with the stats on the Nissan app) 2.9 miles/kWh, measured at the wall 2.0 miles/kWh... for an "efficiency" of 69%.

February - car reported 3.1 miles/kWh, measured at the wall, 2.25 miles/kWh, for an "efficiency" of 72%....

The electric rate simulation feature on the app has the same issue since it's based on the same car data, and is under reporting my electricity use by around 30% or so.

Why? I think it's a couple of things. One is onboard charger efficiency. I don't know what it is on the Leaf specifically but 80% is typical of many EV's. So a large chunk of that discrepancy is simply charging losses in the onboard charger. The stats on the Nissan app do not take into account the losses in the charger so will consistently underestimate at the wall electricity use by around 20%.

The other thing is plugged in preconditioning. This definitely isn't counted in the cumulative miles/kWh on the centre console or dashboard as those only change when the car is properly switched on, and I think the Nissan app ignores energy use from plugged in preconditioning entirely as well.

This can really add up in cold weather if your preconditioning is running for 30 minutes each morning - average power consumption on a freezing morning reported by Leafspy is around 2-3kW lets call it 2.5kW for 30 minutes, that's 1.25kWh average for plugged in preconditioning then you have to divide by 0.8 to allow for the onboard charger inefficiency, so about 1.5kWh used at the wall for a 30 minute precondition in cold weather. That's enough energy to drive 5 miles, so when your total daily journey is 35 miles like mine that's a significant chunk of energy not being counted in the stats. (however preheating is so worth it. :) ) This gets even worse if the timer preconditions the car on a day you don't end up driving anywhere - although I try to avoid that.

So yeah, even if journeys aren't dropped in the stats - like they were for me all the time last year, they don't really give a true indication of at the wall power use. Only a kWh monitor on your wall charger will really do that. (Although then you would still have to factor in public charging, which could be tricky - I don't do any public charging so I know all my charging is coming from my own wall charger which keeps things simple)
To answer @DBMandrake question in 2nd post. The app works absolutely fine (that's all that matters to the masses these days isn't it)...... I can access driving history tab, then under electric rate simulation tab, I can click into "electricity usage records", which is the data I want to download in CSV format. On your Nissan Connect cars, hopefully you can download the same data under the Electricity Consumption.
So an older carwings car uses the same phone app but a different web portal?

BTW unless I missed it, I don't see any option to download the data as CSV in my portal.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wouldn't get too excited about those stats - they're not very accurate if you're trying to calculate your total electricity use.

I have a kWh meter installed in my Rolec (which is accurate) and have been taking that reading since the start of January, logging the miles travelled and calculating the true miles/kWh at the wall and the figure differs greatly from that reported by the car.

My figures for January and February are:

Car average miles/kWh (taken from the centre console, but agrees closely with the stats on the Nissan app) 2.9 miles/kWh, measured at the wall 2.0 miles/kWh... for an "efficiency" of 69%.

February - car reported 3.1 miles/kWh, measured at the wall, 2.25 miles/kWh, for an "efficiency" of 72%....

The electric rate simulation feature on the app has the same issue since it's based on the same car data, and is under reporting my electricity use by around 30% or so.

Why? I think it's a couple of things. One is onboard charger efficiency. I don't know what it is on the Leaf specifically but 80% is typical of many EV's. So a large chunk of that discrepancy is simply charging losses in the onboard charger. The stats on the Nissan app do not take into account the losses in the charger so will consistently underestimate at the wall electricity use by around 20%.

The other thing is plugged in preconditioning. This definitely isn't counted in the cumulative miles/kWh on the centre console or dashboard as those only change when the car is properly switched on, and I think the Nissan app ignores energy use from plugged in preconditioning entirely as well.

This can really add up in cold weather if your preconditioning is running for 30 minutes each morning - average power consumption on a freezing morning reported by Leafspy is around 2-3kW lets call it 2.5kW for 30 minutes, that's 1.25kWh average for plugged in preconditioning then you have to divide by 0.8 to allow for the onboard charger inefficiency, so about 1.5kWh used at the wall for a 30 minute precondition in cold weather. That's enough energy to drive 5 miles so when your total daily journey is 35 miles like mine that's a significant chunk. (however preheating is so worth it. :) )

So yeah, even if journeys aren't dropped in the stats - like they were for me all the time last year, they don't really give a true indication of at the wall power use. Only a kWh monitor on your wall charger will really do that.

So an older carwings car uses the same phone app but a different web portal?

BTW unless I missed it, I don't see any option to download the data as CSV in my portal.
I had an idea that the energy usage would be different to the charger due to the car converting acdc and charger inefficiency etc but thought the electricity used within the car ie electricity used during trips seems accurate.

However people like maa on the world rankings that keeps breaking the records by using 0.02 for a 15 mile journey blows the accuracy theory out the window hahaha

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I had an idea that the energy usage would be different to the charger due to the car converting acdc and charger inefficiency etc but thought the electricity used within the car ie electricity used during trips seems accurate.
The energy consumption figures in the car will be accurate - you just have to be aware of what it is actually measuring.

The Miles/kWh and energy consumption during driving reported by the car (and phone app...) are based on measuring power coming out of the battery (and going back in during regen) and that power can go to three places - the motor via the drive inverter, the climate control (PTC heater and heat pump) or the 12v systems - via the DC/DC converter, which covers all other miscellaneous power use. (Fans, heated seats and window, power steering, ECU's etc) Those are the three different power dials on the zero emissions energy use page...

But none of this takes into account power lost during charging, and with AC charging there is a relatively high loss because for whatever reason EV makers don't seem too fussed about onboard charger efficiency like they are with drive inverter efficiency. Drive inverters are typically >95% efficient while OBC's are typically 80%, which is strange on the face of it when the drive inverter has some design similarities and is a tougher challenge than the OBC. (For a start it's operating at much higher power levels)

I would guess the reason is probably that improving the efficiency of the the drive inverter improves range for a given battery size and gives increased miles/kWh bragging rights (looks better on glossy brochures...) whereas increasing OBC efficiency would have no effect on the range of the car and would only be noticed by nerds who measure power consumption at the wall despite adding cost to the sticker price of the car. So there will be less incentive to optimise OBC efficiency. Maybe one day they will take the effort to optimise the OBC a bit further when everything else has been highly optimised.

So if you're interested in Miles/KWh to figure out how far you can drive on a given kWh of battery, use the in car figure which is measured after the battery. If you're interested in how much the car is costing you to charge for a given distance travelled (at the wall pence/mile calculated from at the wall Miles/kWh) then the car reported figures cannot be used as they don't include preconditioning or charging losses - measuring at the wall is the only way to be sure what it's actually costing you on your power bill every month...

Ignoring the effects of charging efficiency and preconditioning results in a pretty big discrepancy.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You should be able to see individual trips via this button:

From the similar place on the webpage, it lets you download as CSV format.

I guess I need a CarWings person try to access the driving history webpage. Clearly Nissan Connect is working for people.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Ah, well spotted :)

That's definitely not where it used to be, or if it was there before it was also in the main driving statistics page. Not as convenient as before but at least the data is still there.

It definitely counts each car power on/off cycle as a "trip". I can see when I arrive at my work parking and have to switch off the car, get out and unchain the park then switch it back on to drive it in, that counts as a separate zero mile trip on this page. (Perhaps it requires you to at least go into drive or reverse, not sure)

Driving distance figures for each "trip" in the last few days seems accurate without any missed driving sessions. Definitely a big improvement over 6 months ago on the data collection accuracy front. Because I'd so long ago given up on these statistics I have no idea when they started working accurately.

·
Registered
420 Posts
View attachment 141470

View attachment 141471

From the similar place on the webpage, it lets you download as CSV format.

I guess I need a CarWings person try to access the driving history webpage. Clearly Nissan Connect is working for people.
ive been able to log in and see info ok recently. I have a slightly linked question though, do you (or anyone else) know how to change the units in the energy used/efficiency column? Your shows miles/kWh whereas mine shows kWh/mile. I’d much prefer it your way around if it can be changed.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
ive been able to log in and see info ok recently. I have a slightly linked question though, do you (or anyone else) know how to change the units in the energy used/efficiency column? Your shows miles/kWh whereas mine shows kWh/mile. I’d much prefer it your way around if it can be changed.
Android or iOS ? I think someone earlier noted that the Android version of the app uses different units to the iOS versions. (For some inexplicable reason)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts