Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I've landed here after something of a whirlwind week where I've found myself very likely to buy an e-Niro. I wasn't really planning on this for a few more years but someone stole my car, so here I am. A test-drive has made me really interested.

I'm used to driving an estate, so this car would be a downward step in storage even if an improvement on just about all else. Nevertheless, it's giving me the fear a bit. As is the finance since I'm used to buying cars second-hand only.

I like to go mountain-biking a lot, have any of you done much of that and is it a reasonable proposition to drop the rear seats and chuck the bike in there? I'd get some kind of boot liner to stop it wrecking the interior. Don't mind taking the wheels off the bike too.

Sometimes the whole family (3 people only) and I would like to go on a camping trip, if we have the bikes on the roof I'm hoping I could cram everything in the car and make it work.

There is a bit of me that thinks this is kind of crazy and I should just get another cheap ICE estate for now. If any of you have stories to help make up my mind, I'd be really grateful. Thanks!

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you like estate cars MG 5 is an electric estate car and will be available in the next few months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I've seen that. Still interested but I'm carless right now so would ideally not wait. Still, I'm sure I could get by. Hmm, more choice dilemmas! Just realised a Tesla Model 3 with tow hitch for a bike rack might be workable as well.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
321 Posts
In Holland, you can buy an official accessory for the e-Niro that allows you to install a tow hitch only suited for bike carriers. I guess the Dutch love to take their bikes with them and they wouldn't have sold a single car if that hadn't been possible. So maybe in the UK you could talk the distributor into getting it as well.

I am in Spain myself and here it's impossible to install a tow hitch on the e-Niro because basically they just don't bother. I am in the same situation as the OP and the lack of a tow hitch is a serious argument to not buy the car, although I like it a lot. If the e-Niro can carry two bikes on the roof, I might just have to go for that option, even though I am not really keen of putting bikes up there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In Holland, you can buy an official accessory for the e-Niro that allows you to install a tow hitch only suited for bike carriers. I guess the Dutch love to take their bikes with them and they wouldn't have sold a single car if that hadn't been possible. So maybe in the UK you could talk the distributor into getting it as well.

Oh, I'd not come across that before - I found this - Tow bar RMC bike carrier system, e-Niro - KIA Accessoires - I guess this is it. Looks interesting. Now to try and work out if my existing Thule bike rack would fit on it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yup, it's the belgian site but certainly looks like it. If you look closely there's two pins on either side of the ball. These are there so you can only fit corresponding bike racks on it. But fear not, since you can easily remove them with a grinder.

HOWEVER: it's possible that the UK model does not have the approval for the installation of the tow bar. So I'd check with the dealer first before pulling the trigger.

On a side note, before I had the hitch on my current car, I'd transport two bikes in the car. It's a hatchback (Skoda Octavia). I would remove both wheels (MTB), lower the saddles, fold down the back seat and put the bikes upside down with the handle bars first. Using some foam and tying them together tightly, that would leave enough room for a suitcase, a bag and the 4 wheels. The Niro being a bit higher, I bet that trick would work as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. I asked the Kia dealer in the UK earlier today about towbars (not knowing about this one) and was told no, so it's at least non-standard but I'll check.

An Octavia is what I just had stolen and yeah, that thing can swallow bikes and luggage nicely. I'm just slightly unsure about the e-Niro having as friendly a boot so if anybody's been doing it that would be great to set my mind at rest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, they don't think the warranty would be valid if I did it myself, sadly. Seems an oversight from the UK office.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've had to rescue my son a few times from mates houses, so throw his mountain bike (with 28" wheels) in the back, no problem at all.

In fact, it's so easy to fold them down too, I really don't mind now when he calls.

The other thing that facinates me about the e-Niro which I have not seen written anywhere is about driving with a full car. This too is my first New car, and any previous ones I drove, you felt it if you had a car full of adults.

So my son recently volunteered me for giving him and three friends a lift. All 4 in their 20's, so not kids. It was a doddle for the e-Niro, and I had to bring them partially up the Dublin Mountains, up a few steep hills

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm just slightly unsure about the e-Niro having as friendly a boot so if anybody's been doing it that would be great to set my mind at rest.
I have just come back from a long weekend trip. We loaded all our luggage and two 29 inch MTBs into the e-Niro. I put the bikes in as follows:
  • prepatr bikes: remove pedals, wheels, lower saddles and let air out of fork. Use some plastic thingies to prevent the brake pistons from being squeezed together accidentally.
  • fold down rear seats
  • fold out a protective piece of plastic or tarpaulin to cover the seats and the boot
  • lay 1st bike on its side, chain up, over the 2/3 part of the rear seats. Put the fork flat. The handle bar fits between the two front seats but does not protrude. Put in the thru-axle in the front fork (so it's easier to later fasten the foam)
  • cover the bike with something thick and soft. I used a chair cushion.
  • put the second bike on top in the same position
  • use a piece of foam and some velcro to protect the fork ends and to prevent them from damaging the rear door.
  • tie the front forks together so they cannot move with a velcro strap
  • use a strap and one of the hooks in the boot to secure both bikes and to tie the bikes together by the rear fork
  • cover the second bike with a blanket
  • put both front wheels on top of the front part of the bikes, use some foam to prevent the disks from being damaged. Use a strap to tie them together and secure them using the mount for the rear seats
  • Put both rear wheels on the rear part of the bikes, you can wiggle one between the two front wheels. Use a strap to secure them to the bike they are resting on.
  • Cover with a sheet or so.
  • You can now (at least I can) raise the 1/3 part of the back seat. You should have room for some 4 or 5 bags. use the space below the boot floor for extra stuff.
  • I use a protector that's wide enough so it can be folded up along the sides, to prevent the car interior from being smudged or sratched.
It's maybe 45 minutes work to get everything packed, but it works pretty well. If you secure the bikes and tie the whole pack together tightly, the bikes won't move or cause rattles. They came through without a scratch. And of course, this way the car's consumption or behaviour is not affected at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts