Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, New here, and even though it is the age old question with ev's I could not find any answers for the Soul.

Having taken a test drive (2021 Soul), I found half way though my 'range anxiety' had vanished, and its range was impressive.
I had driven 112miles from 98% to 69%at the end with the display showing 4.4 watts per mile. It was raining tha whole drive and I had the headlights on , ac on heating on , , heated steering on and occasionally the seats on with 1 passenger.

That was 30 miles motorway (70mph), 10 miles urban and 72 miles going up and down 5 mountains.

Theoretically that would provide a range of the mid 300's. ( 386.2 miles to be exact ) This cannot be correct.
wltp suggests might be possible.

What I don't know is if the battery depletion is linear down to 0%

I should add I found the soul a very very good, comfortable drive with the lka and cruise working better than in others such as the xc60.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
680 Posts
Your man maths is a bit out. Not sure where you have got those calculations from, but the reading that you are referring to shows you doing 4.4 miles per kWh.

Therefore that equates to a range, assuming a linear path, of 4.4 x 64 = 281.6 miles.

That's the kind of average I am getting quite regularly at the moment. Overall average since Easter must be something just over 4m/kwh, which is 256 miles on a full battery. It will drop back to around 3.5m/kwh in the depths of winter

(Edit: just worked out where your calcs come from, based on depleted battery for your 112 miles - just go with the indicated average.)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
312 is my best ever charge to charge 223 (from memory) my worst although I did still have 10% battery, and had done 201 showing about 22m remaining.

Remarkable car and available under 30k now

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your man maths is a bit out. Not sure where you have got those calculations from, but the reading that you are referring to shows you doing 4.4 miles per kWh.

Therefore that equates to a range, assuming a linear path, of 4.4 x 64 = 281.6 miles.

That's the kind of average I am getting quite regularly at the moment. Overall average since Easter must be something just over 4m/kwh, which is 256 miles on a full battery. It will drop back to around 3.5m/kwh in the depths of winter

(Edit: just worked out where your calcs come from, based on depleted battery for your 112 miles - just go with the indicated average.)
Excellent, thanks.
Yes, as it was demo I hadn't set it up, so it had conflicting ranges! ...3!! - there was also how many miles were remaining, which was 230 at the start and 170 something at the end.

My ranges 4.4 m/kwh as you say, 281.6
Battery used over 112 miles 29%, 386.1
Maths deduction of range remaining 230 - 170 = 60, 170 /60 = 2.83, 2.83 x 112= 317.33, 317.44 + 112 = 429 . ...:)

Do EV's like going up and down mountains then? overall I climbed around 7500 and regenerated down the other side about the same...having driven many miles in a bmw phev I found mountains sapped the power but I can reason thatis not the case for the kia/hyundai powertrain.

312 is my best ever charge to charge 223 (from memory) my worst although I did still have 10% battery, and had done 201 showing about 22m remaining.

Remarkable car and available under 30k now
Thanks...it is a remarkable car...a nice place to be when travelling.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Excellent, thanks.
Yes, as it was demo I hadn't set it up, so it had conflicting ranges! ...3!! - there was also how many miles were remaining, which was 230 at the start and 170 something at the end.

My ranges 4.4 m/kwh as you say, 281.6
Battery used over 112 miles 29%, 386.1
Maths deduction of range remaining 230 - 170 = 60, 170 /60 = 2.83, 2.83 x 112= 317.33, 317.44 + 112 = 429 . ...:)

Do EV's like going up and down mountains then? overall I climbed around 7500 and regenerated down the other side about the same...having driven many miles in a bmw phev I found mountains sapped the power but I can reason thatis not the case for the kia/hyundai powertrain.

Thanks...it is a remarkable car...a nice place to be when travelling.
You can also check the e-Niro reports. The cars are the same under the skin so achieve very similar figures. Any differences are outweighed by other factors such as driving style, temperature etc.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
A couple weeks ago I did 205 with an estimated 50 miles left on a day which was at best 12 deg C with horrendous torrential rain and wind, maybe 2/3 of which was motorway at 60-70.
I could easily get 300 miles out of my 2020 Soul in the summer if i kept to below 60. But lifes too short for that on motorways plus theres no point, I'd never do 300 miles non stop anyway so I'll charge the car whilst I'm emptying and then refiling with coffee and a pasty or whatever.
I regard 250 as my ballpark "easy to do" at most times of year.
Compared to previous 100-130 mile range cars I had its very liberating not to have to always be thinking about where the next charger is.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,745 Posts
Yesterday, I did a total of 250miles, but should disclose that the car was plugged in to charge at the destination. In 1.5hrs, it only added 3%!!!:mad: I still would have made it back though, as I came home with 13%. Low average speed all the way, outward was 50mph, on the way back only 43mph.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts