Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
I suspect you are right. I've seen the usual suspects on them around here, and as one is no longer on a motorbike I wonder if licence/insurance issues are preventing what must surely be their preferred option. I doubt the people I saw had any insurance.

Also recently I was surprised by two passing me when I was on my bicycle, not a racer but doing a decent pace. They must have been doing nearly 30 so there's plenty of opportunity for losing control and damage particularly given the small wheels and roads around here.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,574 Posts
The article says that the government has arbitrarily chosen a max speed of 15mph.
Most of the existing scooters bought by individuals can do around 30mph.
This means the government must've completed the furtive "cash-stuffed manilla envelope" phase of negotiations with scooter manufacturers & rental companies.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
648 Posts
God before I got my e-bike I thought how slow 15mph was, but after riding it about its the limit to what I feel comfortable with knowing my body doesn't have the additional safety cage a car gives.

However our UK highways act is so antiquated its barely fit for purpose.

I work in Brighton and there are loads of those things, I do think anyone over the age of 20 on them looks , shall we say a bit naff.

But it is Brighton.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
That restriction is typically daft. Surely if they are type approved...
Might be to ensure they remain limited to 15 mph. Also so the govt can change their mind and revoke if the hospitals fill up too much!

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Utterly impossible to enforce. How can the Police know whether an e-scooter is owned or rented? And without number plates there's no enforcement possible apart from forcibly stopping the rider - pretty person without a helmet, that's really going to work well for the Police. :rolleyes:
This is NOT active transport. It will not mix with either pedestrians, cyclists or drivers. :devilish: Another significant loss of life, but nothing in comparison to the 50,000 lives from Covid-19 to date.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Also so the govt can change their mind and revoke if the hospitals fill up too much!
I'm sure that they'll be just as prepared for that as they are to shut down Leicester. :rolleyes: What are the Civil Service doing given that the Government haven't a clue on their own? It seems that the whole point of the Civil Service has been shown to be a mirage. :devilish:

1 - 20 of 230 Posts