Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bjorn Nyland on hisYou Tube Channel has just started a series of Tests with a Xpeng P7.

He is the first to try this car in Europe and has been given several days to carry out many of his usual tests.

Having looked at the first videos (48k views in less than 24hrs) the car looks very promising.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Next EV for me after the Kona will probably be a Nissan Ariya - If it lives up to the hyped expectation. :)

John

·
Registered
62 Posts
When we ordered our Kona 18 months ago I expected it to be a stepping stone car, I honestly thought that by now there would be a far bigger selection of cars with a longer range available (not just planned). It still feels to me that a better car is still a way off, either price, range or both are an issue.

I still find it hard to get my head around driving a car weighing 1,800kg plus, we need to see more improvements in battery tech, the weight needs to come down, the range up and improved charging speeds. All of that needs to happen in a space where the price comes down, it’s only with heavy subsidies in France that the Kona EV is anywhere near the price of its ICE equivalent, that needs to change IMO.

·
Life's too short to wait for a Kona .....
86 Posts
As you haven’t specified whether I have to be able to afford it, the Polestar , once they bring out the 2wd sensible spec version. It’s already on my “once I have won the lottery” list.
It’s sitting up the top of the list next to an electric VW Transporter California ‘Ocean spec’...but that might have to wait a bit as they haven’t thought about that yet.....
On a more practical note, I agree with you as nothing really cuts the mustard yet...will watch the VW ID with interest once the full range is in production....not yet though as it’s a bit expensive with too many extras that should be standard (heat pump definitely). Nissan Ariya maybe but my dealings with dealerships in the past with Nissan Navara have tainted my opinion (despite it eventually getting to 300,000 miles!)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I will probably go with a Tesla for my next EV.. Not sure yet.. Could be either model.. Probably not the model X... Either a new Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck or a used Model S.. I'm not stuck with a particular body style. I'll probably keep the Kona for myself for another 2 years and then I'll probably give it to the wife who currently drives a BMW i3. I have no plans on ever selling the Kona.. Lifetime Warranty on the battery (here in the US) is the main reason why I have no intention at this point to ever sell it..

·
Life's too short to wait for a Kona .....
86 Posts
What concerns me about brands like Polestar and Xpeng 7 is what the service and support network is like….
I hope the Polestar will be supported within the Volvo dealerships ( or at least selected ones). I will have a little cashless wager that the Mitsubishi dealership network may well take on board one or other, now that they have withdrawn from the UK. The Colt Car Company that import Mitsubishi were apparently actively looking for an EV Brand to promote.....just a guess but there’s a lot of Mitsubishi dealers looking for a future!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Polestar 2 is top of my list - test drive happening in a couple of weeks' time, and if the wife is ok with the size compared to the Kona, then I'll be putting in an order...

Surprisingly the Polestar 2 is about 9cm narrower than the Kona, including wing mirrors! So I might get away with it 🤞

I guess for me the point is that while the Kona has a brilliant drivetrain, it's in a dynamically very average package which makes poor use of its size for interior space. It's also very jittery and bouncy compared even to the wife's Zoe, never mind the Ampera I had beforehand, and I miss that serenity.

Also the Polestar 2 is absolutely (IMHO) drop-dead gorgeous both inside and out - it's the first car in years I've wanted to own with my heart, as well as my brain.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Robert Llewellyn on Fully Charged mentioned the Tata Nexon manufactured in India. I'd never heard of it, but it has a reasonable spec at an unbelievable price (30 kWh battery. 130 miles. £14,000). They're also bringing out 3 new models. Not exporting out of India at the moment, but when they do, BAM! Suddenly EV's will be the same price as an ICE and everything will change.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Having worked with Indian companies and their approach to safety, I would never in a month of Sundays buy an Indian car.
That said, 20 years ago (also with knowledge of how they went about it), I said I'd never buy a Chinese car, and now I believe the Polestar 2 will be better made and prove to be more reliable than a Tesla (which has the worst return-to-dealer record of any manufacturer in the first year, sadly).
Weird times. Progress I guess!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Having worked with Indian companies and their approach to safety, I would never in a month of Sundays buy an Indian car.
That said, 20 years ago (also with knowledge of how they went about it), I said I'd never buy a Chinese car, and now I believe the Polestar 2 will be better made and prove to be more reliable than a Tesla (which has the worst return-to-dealer record of any manufacturer in the first year, sadly).
Apparently, it has a five star safety rating. I'm keeping my Kona, but it will be good to see more EV's out there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The EV sector is really poor this year

I agree Polestar 2 has been the only decent car. My test drive is more out of curiosity than intention to buy.The next car I buy will be replacing the Outlander PHEV in 2021/22

the shortlist so far is
Model Y (purely for supercharger network)
Nissan Ariya
Mazda 45 (might be too small)
Polestar 3

@Richard Gledhill I see you are big a fan of the outsourcing con as me. So much wasted time and money.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I believe the Polestar 2 will be better made and prove to be more reliable than a Tesla (which has the worst return-to-dealer record of any manufacturer in the first year, sadly).
I have realised who Tesla remind me of. Remember AMSTRAD in the 1980's? Flood the market with cheap consumer electronics, anticipate a 10% return of faulty goods and still make a healthy profit. (Muggins here was one of the poor sods who had to repair the 10%) :)[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
104 Posts
I understand they've gotta push their new releases but I can't find any info on the ID Buzz. I'm gonna end up with a Tesla y.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have realised who Tesla remind me of. Remember AMSTRAD in the 1980's? Flood the market with cheap consumer electronics, anticipate a 10% return of faulty goods and still make a healthy profit. (Muggins here was one of the poor sods who had to repair the 10%) :)
[/QUOTE]

And I was a muggins who bought an Amstrad Integra 4000 amplifier in the early seventies. I remember driving to Ridley Road and going up in the lift to take it back because it had a very, very, very noisy transformer!

@Gadget Geek you're probably in this lot somewhere then!

John

Reactions: Richard Gledhill

·
Registered
76 Posts
For main car unfortunately the only option is Tesla (probably will end up with Model Y), purely based on supercharger network. I agree with build quality issues but till there is a better reliable, quick charging alternative it’s hard to look over. A trip to seaside or visiting my mum in Birmingham shouldn’t be wasted with slow unreliable charging.
I love my Kia Soul ev, its all in need for my weekly commuting (1 charge per week) but for family trips we would take the outlander PHEV for anything beyond 75 miles.

·
Registered
262 Posts
And I was a muggins who bought an Amstrad Integra 4000 amplifier in the early seventies. I remember driving to Ridley Road and going up in the lift to take it back because it had a very, very, very noisy transformer!

@Gadget Geek you're probably in this lot somewhere then!

John

View attachment 133017
[/QUOTE]
Hee hee. Fortunately, I worked for a contractor, Tam Tech in Wolverhampton.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts