Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those of you driving long distances regularly in a BEV. How far do you plan to travel between stops? How long do you plan to stay at a stop? And what do you do during a stop?

Personal research. I'm not tied to any company or organisation.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I generally try and drive sufficient distance to then arrive with around 20% left in the battery. As for how long I stop, it's always enough to get sufficient charge to do the next leg and no longer. I certainly don't want to waste additional time. And as for what to do whilst charging, it's any combination of toilet, food and reading.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
504 Posts
If I was planning a long journey my starting point has to be a better route planner. It gives me fairly good feel for destination arrival time, best charging points en-route (depending on personal preferences of remaining battery at each recharge % & target recharge %) also incl time to charge & plug cable in time, land contour and tuned for your EV. I then might drill down to plugshare and zapmap to check on recommended charge points.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,777 Posts
I think this really depends on the BEV as to how painful it is.

I’ve done over 1,000 miles at different ends of the spectrum and it’s a world apart on terms of the experience. (ZOE 40 and Tesla Model X)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I generally try and drive sufficient distance to then arrive with around 20% left in the battery. As for how long I stop, it's always enough to get sufficient charge to do the next leg and no longer. I certainly don't want to waste additional time. And as for what to do whilst charging, it's any combination of toilet, food and reading.
So do you plan ahead @Flying Dodo or just play it by ear as you're approaching 20%? Do you use any kind of app or aid to help you to decide where to stop? (I'm not an app developer :p)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I was planning a long journey my starting point has to be a better route planner. It gives me fairly good feel for destination arrival time, best charging points en-route (depending on personal preferences of remaining battery at each recharge % & target recharge %) also incl time to charge & plug cable in time, land contour and tuned for your EV. I then might drill down to plugshare and zapmap to check on recommended charge points.
Have you used any of the vehicle manufacturer apps @andyswarbs (e.g. Tesla) at all? If so, what did you think?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Unless you have a Tesla with supercharger access, its a journey for a really motivated person trying to make a point.

You will be stopping every 120 miles and playing find the working and available charger.

Electric cars are great, i love mine. The charging network often leads a lot to be desired. It will get there eventually im sure but Tesla have just gone above and beyond with their own network.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think this really depends on the BEV as to how painful it is.

I’ve done over 1,000 miles at different ends of the spectrum and it’s a world apart on terms of the experience. (ZOE 40 and Tesla Model X)
OK, that's interesting @cah197. So if based on that experience you had to choose the ideal distance between stops for you, what would it be?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Get used to the stops on your journey, I look for stops about every 90 miles, but can go further when reaching out back home and charging is guaranteed. Winter range is up to 125 miles, summer 140 miles.Helps when there is a choice of chargers, Dumfries has a few options for me. Charge early rather than late if a top up is needed.
Arran - Birmingham in a 28kWh car is Dumfries - 98m, Carnforth 214m,
Sandbach 289m, Brum 351m. In summer can stretch to Garstang and then home without Sandbach.

One day in the future I may be able to motorway service areas. Just use Zapmap or Plugshare.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The Carnforth Dumfries section is the most I would like to do and is complicated by going up to Shap pass and any adverse winds.
My Ioniq is unusual in having very high charge speeds, it can get up to 60kW when modern 150kW chargers are available, but most importantly it will keep on charging fast repeatedly.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,169 Posts
Even in an ICE vehicle when I’m not range limited I’m ready for a bathroom break, quick stretch of the legs and maybe a drink after around 120 miles/2 hours ish.

In an EV if I’m driving one that can’t do that far on one charge then I’ll plan to go as far as I can until I only have enough left to get to a rapid charger and the next nearest working backup.

If I’m driving one that can go further then I’ll still be needing to stop and pee after the usual amount of time. And when I do I’ll plug in if there’s a charger available even if I’m not low. It tops up the battery a little meaning I can go a little further or need to spend less time charging at a later point.

The above plan has worked well for me for many years now

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,372 Posts
The same here with me. I stop about every 2 hours (generally drive around 60/65 mph) for a bladder stop and something to eat. Usually stop about 3/4 hour. We've stopped going in places like Costa and Starbucks (unless we deserve a treat) as it was ruining the saving we had from not buying petrol. We now take a picnic and eat in the car or at a picnic table if available.

We do have a restaurant just outside Nantwich (Sacred Orchard, 22 kWh, ask for RFID at bar) which has a charger and stop for an evening meal there on our way back from North Wales area. That's a real treat.

I use WattsAp, AbetterRoutePlanner and Plugshare to plan our routes.

Reactions: MarkAlexHarris

·
Leaf lover
4,791 Posts
@MarkAlexHarris I started with a Nissan Leaf in 2011 and whilst I loved the car it did rather cloud my judgement going forward because of those trips out of range. In 2016 I leased a BMW i3 with a range extender and that has been great. We do all our day to day mileage on electric and can go off anywhere without planning. If we can charge en route, we do, if not it is no inconvenience.
So the only BEV we will get in the hopefully near future is a Tesla because they have set the bar so high.

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Each EV and each planned journey can cause different strategies. If a trip will need multiple stops for energy the plan will be different to one needing just a top-up. And lower range cars need a different plan than other long-range cars. This makes the question posed hard to answer in general and all replies will reflect their own car and usual road trip.

To be more general the best advice is to plan stops when the battery is down to at least 25% and better still 20%. And then only stop for enough time to either reach the destination ( and presumably a charger ) or top-up to no more than 80% and plan the next stop using the same logic. This is because the speed of charge is best from a low state and usually slows down a lot after 80%.

As to what people do when stopped on a road trip that will also depend on the facilities available there. And that will, therefore, affect the choice of stopping place. If it coincides with a comfort, meal, or drink stop then the plan must reflect that. If not, the choice is wider but usually also limits basic needs like a toilet requirement. But still enables either work contact or leisure reading as required.

In short, the answer to the question is - " It all depends".

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Get used to the stops on your journey, I look for stops about every 90 miles, but can go further when reaching out back home and charging is guaranteed. Winter range is up to 125 miles, summer 140 miles.Helps when there is a choice of chargers, Dumfries has a few options for me. Charge early rather than late if a top up is needed.
Arran - Birmingham in a 28kWh car is Dumfries - 98m, Carnforth 214m,
Sandbach 289m, Brum 351m. In summer can stretch to Garstang and then home without Sandbach.

One day in the future I may be able to motorway service areas. Just use Zapmap or Plugshare.
Thanks @Ralkbirdy . So that sounds like a mixture of planning ahead and knowing where to stop on a tried and tested journey. What do you do whilst waiting for a charge?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts