Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm putting together a beginner's guide to EVs which I want to share for free from our EV and clean home energy website - Power My EV. I'm talking only about BEVs and I'm trying to keep it as accessible as possible!

What do you wish someone had told you before you got your first EV?

For me it was the difference between AC and DC charging, and what that meant to how fast my eGolf would actually charge at a 'rapid' motorway charger!

What are your top tips for long journeys or home charging?
It would be great to have some EV drivers comments in there!
🔌⚡

·
Registered
830 Posts
Consider the Ohme charger through Octopus and bypass the grant.

If going a longer trip I use plugshare in conjunction with the operators app to confirm if the chargers are likely to be working.

Ultimately the car has to fit in with your lifestyle so suggest the biggest battery you can afford or failing that the most efficient EV you can get for your money. Unless of course you are a complete masochist like myself, lol.

Cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

If going a longer trip I use plugshare in conjunction with the operators app to confirm if the chargers are likely to be working.

Ultimately the car has to fit in with your lifestyle so suggest the biggest battery you can afford or failing that the most efficient EV you can get for your money. Unless of course you are a complete masochist like myself, lol.

Cheers
Thanks Scrooge! I haven't used Plugshare myself, only Zap Map, but having a location description (and photo of it) sound like great tools to a nervous new EV driver! I'll check it out...

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yeah, when I had loaner eGolf and a Leaf 30 public charging is not such a worry as they have more than enough juice for plan Bs but with the current Citroen C-Zero it's flying by the seat of your pants with charger anxiety, lol. Cheers

Reactions: Powermyev

·
Registered
66 Posts
  1. Always aim to have your own charging point installed. EVs only make sense if you can plug them in at night without having to rely on the very iffy public network.
  2. Accept that if you need to use public charging, then the biggest enemy of EV drivers are other EV drivers. For example, getting to a charging location to find other EVs plugged in and sitting for hours assuming it's their own personal parking spot.
  3. Accept that longer trips outside your EV range will require some planning and backup plans. Some EVers will argue this is not true but they are lying, or deluding themselves. See point 2 for common reasons you need a backup plan and a backup backup plan.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Why? What advantages does it offer over a decent smart charger?

Currently facing this choice because an installer is questioning whether my property is suitable for a wall charger and is offering this as a possible solution.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I wish somebody had told me: "Just f'ing do it". It took me to my third attempt of looking, wondering, buying something else (the MX5 was fun, I'll admit) before I embraced EV goodness, and that cost me 2 years of missed savings (financial and otherwise)
Love it! That's a great message. I think you aren't on your own there...

·
Registered
830 Posts
Why? What advantages does it offer over a decent smart charger?

Currently facing this choice because an installer is questioning whether my property is suitable for a wall charger and is offering this as a possible solution.
I was fortunate enough a few years ago to get a completely free charger but with grants being cut even a not very smart charger is likely to cost a few hundred.

Whereas the Ohme is £199 through octpus energy and links in with Agile/Go/Go Faster for automation etc. Could not see the point of the type2 version as If that dies the Ohme is useless, the three pin is too slow to get the best value out the octopus tariffs so that left the commando version which seems to be the most popular. Loads of chat about them on this site.

Cheers

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not sure there’s a huge cost saving by the time you’ve paid an electrician to fit a commando socket - it’s the same install with a different box on the wall really isn’t it?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yep, depends on many factors and if you have any electricians in the family/friends :) Cost me just over a tenner for the commando socket install.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another tip more for a general feeling of well being.

Remind yourself of the fact that the vast vast majority of times it only takes 40 seconds or so to charge. Plug it in at night, have a sleep and unplug it in the morning and you are good to go.
Yes, that is definitely something I want to get across. Comparing EV to ICE charging is like comparing apples and oranges. We are used to ICE refuelling, and hear so much about the EV charging network (effectively the same as for the ICE), and we don't realise it's really about convenient home charging!

·
Registered
Zoe GT Line 2020
54 Posts
If you mention your choice on the internet you will be accused of virtue signalling, being responsible for child exploitation and just shifting the problem to power stations. Not to mentioned that you will told you will have a huge bill for a new battery in a few years - and if not sooner then the second the battery warranty runs out, you will end up stranded on the motorway in the snow unable to use your heater as it will run down your battery in an hour or two, you'll be responsible for the Grid being unable to cope and your gran missing Corrie, and you'll have to stop to charge for several hours every 50 miles or so - 10 in the winter!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Try before you buy. A test drive for basics such as comfort room etc to fit your life style.
Cars are different things to each owner.
Even before Covid, with car sales going online many people aren't actually doing this. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you mention your choice on the internet you will be accused of virtue signalling, being responsible for child exploitation and just shifting the problem to power stations. Not to mentioned that you will told you will have a huge bill for a new battery in a few years - and if not sooner then the second the battery warranty runs out, you will end up stranded on the motorway in the snow unable to use your heater as it will run down your battery in an hour or two, you'll be responsible for the Grid being unable to cope and your gran missing Corrie, and you'll have to stop to charge for several hours every 50 miles or so - 10 in the winter!
😂 yup, there are quite a few areas to read up on... while we seem incapable of questioning the reality that we are currently stuck with. Keep going, they'll catch up!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts