Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an idea yesterday for a zap map improvement: How about if it asked what temperature you keep the cabin, and then used the weather forcast to modify your expected range?

Also, would be good if it remembered that my car battery is down to 60 miles max. :)

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ZAP MAP used to be the go to place for EV planning, but i think there are better resources now
Thanks Rich. I just had a go with that. They haven't heard of Renault Fluences though. It just defaults to Zoe. :)

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
ZAP MAP used to be the go to place for EV planning, but i think there are better resources now
A few people have mentioned ABRP so I thought it was time to have a look.
On the browser I wasn't impressed.
I thought maybe the app on a mobile might be better. Nope - absolutely awful.

Maybe it doesn't like my devices, but if software can't run nicely on a modern Chrome on Windows browser or one year old Android phone running the latest version then have to wonder why it's so vaunted.
I notice it only gets a 3.7 rating on the Play Store, so I guess I'm not alone. (Zap-map 4.4, Plug share 4.6.)

·
Registered
296 Posts
A few people have mentioned ABRP so I thought it was time to have a look.
On the browser I wasn't impressed.
I thought maybe the app on a mobile might be better. Nope - absolutely awful.

Maybe it doesn't like my devices, but if software can't run nicely on a modern Chrome on Windows browser or one year old Android phone running the latest version then have to wonder why it's so vaunted.
I notice it only gets a 3.7 rating on the Play Store, so I guess I'm not alone. (Zap-map 4.4, Plug share 4.6.)
The app is a work in progress. Consider it alpha. It's only been available about a month or so, and has a number of known issues.

What don't you like about the web version? It's far better than Zap-Map for route planning in my experience. The route planner on Zap-Map is basically broken and hasn't had any love for quite a while.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
The app is a work in progress. Consider it alpha. It's only been available about a month or so, and has a number of known issues.
OK, but perhaps they should make that clearer. There's nothing on the store to say that, so a lot of people will just think it's rubbish and never return. If they know it's not complete they might try again in the future.

What don't you like about the web version? It's far better than Zap-Map for route planning in my experience. The route planner on Zap-Map is basically broken and hasn't had any love for quite a while.
It seemed really un-intuitive. The icons had no alt-text to say what they did and I couldn't find anyway to set any preferences beyond the car. I'm also used to Google maps so ZapMap is more familiar and has the same POI as those - ABRP is not helpful there.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
One improvement I would like to see on the Zap-Map app is that when it starts and zooms in to your location, it only zooms in far enough to show say half a dozen charging points (or one or two Rapids if only Rapids are selected). What is the point in zooming in to show the nearest mile or so, when the nearest Rapid is six miles away?

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,338 Posts
ABRP seems to be missing Geniepoints, at least the ones around here but it does seem a bit better at planning (Zap Map for instance refuses to "see" the Lancaster Park & Ride in planner mode, which is odd, but you can at least manually add it at a waypoint on ABRP)

Never had much problem with Zap Map otherwise, I'm not sure why it has such a relatively poor reputation on here. It's still what everyone else seems to use when it comes to the comments on whether a charger is working or not etc and has better metadata than Plugshare at least for AC where the latter just shows you useless 7kW stuff among the 22kW and 43kW (something I guess they're unlikely to change because of the usual "well AC on rapids is 'dead' anyway" opinions that everyone loves to dismiss Zoe drivers with)

If there's one thing that would be nice to bring it in line with Plugshare it'd be the ability to say "charging now" with an expected/automatic check-out time and messaging. I end up having to say "if you need to message me I'm on Plugshare"

Reactions: Tandy0

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can't see any practical use for 'charger ICEd'.
Zapmap shows the current status of chargers so when the ICE has left after an hour or so, the charger will still show ICEd
until someone updates the charger as 'in use' days or weeks later.
I get the impression that broken chargers suffer the same fate, i.e. remain broken until someone tries it and finds it fixed
and updates it. I may be wrong, but that's how it appears to me.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,338 Posts
It's imperfect but I'd rather know a charger is potentially still broken than not know it was broken at all, and it's reassuring when someone has recently confirmed it's working too.

There's actually one I'm keeping a beady eye on which makes visits to relatives WAY easier at this time of year and someone had literally smashed the type 2 plug. If I'd relied on it, I'd have needed recovery, but knew to divert to another one beforehand. Interestingly, it now says "Connector Working" but it doesn't say which connector so they might have repaired it or they might not.

Definite room for improvement but largely it's users not doing things properly. E.g. someone failing to charge on CCS on an EH unit and rather than marking it as an issue with that connector they mark the entire charge point as broken.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
The advantage here is for chargers that are consistently ICEd, e.g. ones with poor/no marking or no enforcement, then you can plan accordingly. But this is only useful if you can see the ICE-ing history.

·
Registered
296 Posts
ABRP seems to be missing Geniepoints, at least the ones around here but it does seem a bit better at planning (Zap Map for instance refuses to "see" the Lancaster Park & Ride in planner mode, which is odd, but you can at least manually add it at a waypoint on ABRP)
ABRP uses OpenChargeMap as one of it's sources of data. OCM uses the DfT charger database for Geniepoint charger data. OCM then marks those chargers as "Status: Unknown" because it can't know if those chargers are actually operational. ABRP filters out any chargers with that status, because on most networks that means there's a communication failure.

End result. Geniepoint is filtered out.

What you can do is check in to the charger on OCM and update the status (assuming you know it's working). It will then appear in ABRP in 24-48 hours, when the next update is done.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Zapmap shows the current status of chargers so when the ICE has left after an hour or so, the charger will still show ICEd
until someone updates the charger as 'in use' days or weeks later.
I get the impression that broken chargers suffer the same fate, i.e. remain broken until someone tries it and finds it fixed
and updates it. I may be wrong, but that's how it appears to me.
I agree. Such tags really should have a timeout on them. A few hours for ICE'd. A few days for broken, and the same for working. If everything times out, be honest and say you don't know what the status of the charger is.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,338 Posts
ABRP uses OpenChargeMap as one of it's sources of data. OCM uses the DfT charger database for Geniepoint charger data. OCM then marks those chargers as "Status: Unknown" because it can't know if those chargers are actually operational. ABRP filters out any chargers with that status, because on most networks that means there's a communication failure.

End result. Geniepoint is filtered out.

What you can do is check in to the charger on OCM and update the status (assuming you know it's working). It will then appear in ABRP in 24-48 hours, when the next update is done.
Interesting, thanks, might as well clean it up when I get a mo. Ours is about a 10 minute walk / 2 minute drive away.

Would be nice if eventually all charge maps used the same thing so that you don't need 3 different ones to see everything :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Interesting, thanks, might as well clean it up when I get a mo. Ours is about a 10 minute walk / 2 minute drive away.

Would be nice if eventually all charge maps used the same thing so that you don't need 3 different ones to see everything :)
What needs to happen is that the Network companies need to open up their APIs so people writing apps can enquire about their chargers directly. It's beneficial to them, as users can be confident about their chargers, but for some reason they guard it as secret.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
What needs to happen is that the Network companies need to open up their APIs so people writing apps can enquire about their chargers directly. It's beneficial to them, as users can be confident about their chargers, but for some reason they guard it as secret.
Could not the charger repairers post when a repair has been done?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just checked on the one local to me that I updated. It's now on ABRP, so the change does take effect after about a week or so. I think the delay was on OCMs side.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts