Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Bill N - maybe! In the recent Tonight 'docutainment' programme about the UK being ready for EVs or not the transport secretary did seem a bit exasperated when questioned about the motorway charging infrastructure. I think he is aware its a challenge to keep up with the infrastructure planning in relation to the rate of increase in EV sales. Hopefully he will do something about it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Why is legislation needed tho? What’s the reasoning behind charging networks going down the pre-registration route rather than payg?
If you've ever been involved with payment card processing, you'll know that every transaction attracts a fee every time it goes to the bank, and that fee can vary depending on the type of card (either a percentage or a fixed fee per transaction, or both).
Pre-payment schemes with bank card top-up were a way of avoiding all those bank transaction fees on low value transactions. If as a charge point operator you only need to do the account top-up via a payment card every six charges, you can reduce the bank overheads by at least six times.
Technically, a pre-payment account would count as an existing contract before you can use a charge point, and isn't allowed under the current scheme, but Pod-Point and GeniePoint still work like that; and I think Polar Instant (though I haven't used that for years).
Charge point operators like Source London get around the ad-hoc access costing them more to operate by charging a considerably higher-still tariff to those scanning a QR code on the chargepoint and providing payment details there and then, than its customers with pre-arranged billing details.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Of no interest to me. Contactless only rapids everytime. Havent used anything else for over a year and enough around for us to ignore other methods now. If we all try to stick to contactless rapids the other networks will soon get the message.

Too true, Mark! As a 'newbie' to EV's I'm encouraged by you that Range Anxiety can (hopefully!) be eliminated by PAYG Rapids. As I've intimated: the current 'mess' can be sorted out by the likes of InstaVolt and Engenie...

·
Premium Member
17,694 Posts
From Zap-Maps
"Hello Henry,

At the moment we are only working with our launch partner Engenie, and only a small sub set of the devices are Zap-Pay enabled. We will however be rolling out across their entire network over the course of September and then bringing on additional networks after that.

The easiest way to find devices that support Zap-Pay is to use the 'Payment' filter and select the 'Zap-Pay' option.

You can read all about about Zap-Pay and which networks we will be working with on our website: Zap-Pay: the simple way to pay for EV charging - Zap-Map

If you haven't already, sign up to our newsletter to be notified about the latest developments with Zap-Map: Newsletter - Weekly electric car and charging point updates it will contain information on our latest releases plus any bug fixes and new features.

Best regards,

Mark
--
Mark Chitty
Product Manager

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,155 Posts
I would love it if they were forced to allow non-teslas to charge (for a fee), but who would decide the amount?
Tesla's superchargers don't have contactless or RFID readers. They can only read the Tesla account number from the car itself.
Other manufacturers may not have included that ability in their cars. How would they charge anyone else?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Really, all the charging providers need to do is pass on the full additional cost of allowing contactless payment to the customer. How hard would that be? And, say for a £10 charging session, how much would the additional cost be?

·
That money was just resting in my account!
146 Posts
Tesla's superchargers don't have contactless or RFID readers. They can only read the Tesla account number from the car itself.
Other manufacturers may not have included that ability in their cars. How would they charge anyone else?
By making a rule saying they have to add bank card readers?

·
Registered
43 Posts
To my mind zap-pay is a solution in search of a problem for rapid chargers. Contactless payment should be standard on rapids given the cost of the equipment. People with knowledge of card payment terminals on this forum have outlined why this may not be / is not happening.

For slower AC charging I can see the appeal: Not yet another app to download and service to sign up for.

A better approach would've been a zap-pay RFID card that would work across networks. And also work if one doesn't have cell signal at the charger or if the charger has lost its network connection.

Does someone know why Ecotricity abandoned their RFID cards? Would seem a better solution than free vend if the charger looses its network connection.

·
Registered
568 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have to say, if ice cream vans can deal with contactless payment, there's zero excuse for the charging companies.
There are some potential security issues with card readers in unattended locations - ISTR reading the card providers impose some additional requirements, though not sure if these have a significant cost impact

21 - 37 of 37 Posts