Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Zap-Map launching Zap-Pay

4K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  mikeselectricstuff 
#1 ·
Just received an e-mail from Zap-Map informing me of their impending launch of a new service: Zap-Pay, which I'm told will be a new way to pay for EV charging. Does anybody know anything about this?

#2 · (Edited)

Personally the sooner we at WORST case get to a pay by a universal credit/debit system the better. Even easier could be to register your card against your car so that it automatically debits simply by plugging in to a charge point. All these apps, rfid cards are complex nonsense imo.

I'm not talking about plugshare/zapmap/abrp per se. These aggregators gives a good and much needed overview of our disharmoniouos charging network system. The sooner car chargepoint systems allow you to plug in zapmap, abrp into their databases etc the better. They provide much more detailed background info.

#5 ·

Personally the sooner we at WORST case get to a pay by a universal credit/debit system the better. Even easier could be to register your card against your car so that it automatically debits simply by plugging in to a charge point. All these apps, rfid cards are complex nonsense imo.

I'm not talking about plugshare/zapmap/abrp per se. These aggregators gives a good and much needed overview of our disharmoniouos charging network system. The sooner car chargepoint systems allow you to plug in zapmap, abrp into their databases etc the better. They provide much more detailed background info.
In the short time I've participated in these public charging threads, I have been astounded by the totally unnecessary and diabolical situation regards access & payment at public charging points!!! I'm sure that this is one of the major impediments preventing the uptake of EV's by the general population. When I received the news from Zap-Map that they were launching Zap-Pay, I thought maybe... just maybe a degree of sensibility and reasonableness was finally being introduced to help alleviate this conundrum... Let's hope that Zap-Map's plans are simple, user/friendly and finally taken up by the supply industry at large! I'll not be holding my breath, though...

#3 ·
“ Zap-Pay is a service provided by Zap-Map which allows Users to pay for, and access, the EV charging services (CPO Services) offered by participating charging point operators (CPOs) in the United Kingdom.
While Zap-Pay is available to Zap-Map Users within the Zap-Map platform, there is no requirement for Users to access this service, nor is there any requirement for Zap-Pay Users to undertake any account registration or subscription, or to use any specific RFID or payment card(s).
Users of Zap-Pay accept that, where CPO Services are accessed by Users, Zap-Map’s roles are as follows: (i) on a non-exclusive basis, introducing Zap-Pay Users to CPO via Zap-Map for the purposes of enabling Zap-Pay Users’ access to CPO Services; (ii) a provider of payments services including the processing of payments and issuing of receipts to Users for EV charging services accessed via Zap-Pay; and (iii) a payment support service for Zap-Pay Users via a dedicated customer helpline.”

#4 ·
#11 ·
I’m definitely the same. Depending on how much you are bothered, if there are chargers that don’t offer contactless somewhere that you would use them If they were, email the company to politely tell them why you aren’t going to use their charger. Tell them what would encourage you to use it, and give them an example of a competitor who uses contactless that you use instead.

#16 · (Edited)
I don’t really get why I’d want to use this at an Engenie charger rather than just using my contactless debit card as normal?

Don’t get it at all.

The only benefits I can see are:

1. History and receipts
2. Circumvents others apps for networks without contactless payment

But, the lead partner network, Engenie, already has full contactless payment, IME, so they are an odd choice to start with.

If they could have partnered with at least two networks that currently require the use of their own app then there would have been some (limited) tangible benefit.

I’m personally not bothered about receipts, but can see that might be useful for drivers making business journeys.

#21 ·
Bill N - maybe! In the recent Tonight 'docutainment' programme about the UK being ready for EVs or not the transport secretary did seem a bit exasperated when questioned about the motorway charging infrastructure. I think he is aware its a challenge to keep up with the infrastructure planning in relation to the rate of increase in EV sales. Hopefully he will do something about it.

#25 ·
From Zap-Maps
"Hello Henry,

At the moment we are only working with our launch partner Engenie, and only a small sub set of the devices are Zap-Pay enabled. We will however be rolling out across their entire network over the course of September and then bringing on additional networks after that.

The easiest way to find devices that support Zap-Pay is to use the 'Payment' filter and select the 'Zap-Pay' option.

You can read all about about Zap-Pay and which networks we will be working with on our website: Zap-Pay: the simple way to pay for EV charging - Zap-Map

If you haven't already, sign up to our newsletter to be notified about the latest developments with Zap-Map: Newsletter - Weekly electric car and charging point updates it will contain information on our latest releases plus any bug fixes and new features.

Best regards,

Mark
--
Mark Chitty
Product Manager

#35 ·
To my mind zap-pay is a solution in search of a problem for rapid chargers. Contactless payment should be standard on rapids given the cost of the equipment. People with knowledge of card payment terminals on this forum have outlined why this may not be / is not happening.

For slower AC charging I can see the appeal: Not yet another app to download and service to sign up for.

A better approach would've been a zap-pay RFID card that would work across networks. And also work if one doesn't have cell signal at the charger or if the charger has lost its network connection.

Does someone know why Ecotricity abandoned their RFID cards? Would seem a better solution than free vend if the charger looses its network connection.

#36 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.