·
Registered
Kona 2021 Premium 64kW
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
192 Posts
I’ve ordered the Ultimate. I got a good price, but the loss of the EV support grant on this more expensive model makes the Ultimate very expensive v the Premium. Still, I decided that I wanted all the extra bits & bobs and would be forever frustrated if I didn’t have them; especially as The Supreme Leader says I have to make this car last at least 5 years!

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
Zap Map omitted the MG 5 Long Range. At 250 miles WLTP and £26,495 OTR it would top the table at £105/mile.

The 300 mile Kona is an exceptional value. Is there any other "300 mile" EV that comes close to £32,500 OTR?

I'm going to move this to General EV. this discussion would benefit being moved to where more people will see it.

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
Why no Tesla Model 3 SR+?
Another omission.

£40,990 OTR and 278 mile WLTP range is £147/mile. That puts it just above the LEAF e+ and just under the M3 LR.

All three cars are over £35,000 and do not qualify for the plug-in car grant.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The Leaf e+ price is wrong too.

Loads of the prices are wrong (to be fair, they probably were correct at some point, but now hopelessly out of date), so the chart is wrong.

ev-database.uk have been doing this kind of comparison for ages and their data is more up to date.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Another omission.

£40,990 OTR and 278 mile WLTP range is £147/mile. That puts it just above the LEAF e+ and just under the M3 LR.

All three cars are over £35,000 and do not qualify for the plug-in car grant.
The whole thing is way to simplistic, unrealistic, and Tesla's will never do to well as they are priced "everything included". The are no poverty spec Tesla's to buy costing £10k less. Take the ID3, 3rd. Not many people will want to buy the basic low powered 148ps 58kwh "life" model with zero extras. If you take the 204ps 58kw Max model , and spec it up to match the Tesla Model 3 SR+ , you will be paying £39505, so Tesla money.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Just a couple more that I've been considering for my wife the cheapest available Zoe is over £1000 more than listed there. Peugeot e-208 the same.

The cheapest VW ID3 is nearly £2000 more expensive now than on that list.

All wrong, that article is less than a month old and already unusable.

Actually one of the only ones on that list that appears to have the wrong price in the other direction is the Tesla Model 3 LR. It's nearly £1,500 cheaper in reality than on that list.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The whole thing is way to simplistic, unrealistic, and Tesla's will never do to well as they are priced "everything included". The are no poverty spec Tesla's to buy costing £10k less. Take the ID3, 3rd. Not many people will want to buy the basic low powered 148ps 58kwh "life" model with zero extras. If you take the 204ps 58kw Max model , and spec it up to match the Tesla Model 3 SR+ , you will be paying £39505, so Tesla money.
Actually, Teslas have an advantage because 'the price is the price'. Most other EVs have a list price (used in the Zap Map calculations) and a lower, real-world, price. The ID.3 is not a car you really should pay list for.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Actually, Teslas have an advantage because 'the price is the price'. Most other EVs have a list price (used in the Zap Map calculations) and a lower, real-world, price. The ID.3 is not a car you really should pay list for.
True. And this is also a factor that reflects in the very low depreciation of 2nd hand prices until they get out of warranty. 1-2 year old Tesla Model 3's are not much cheaper anywhere, Tesla , trade or private compared to buying new.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,381 Posts
What a weird metric to measure on. Lets use that "that why we all bought a Kona" argument. So £38k for 300miles vs say the MG at the incorrect price of £25999 for 162. Price per mile value is the as it says in the article. But if you were to say do a trip over 300 miles which car is best value? Depends how you measure, price per mile at purchase price, or cost at end of trip..... Ok the Kona won't need to stop the MG will and it'll cost around £7-10 to charge up. Kona wins! Maybe. I mean that £12k you've still got in the bank pays for a lot of top ups, at lease 1,200 to be exact.... how many folk do 1,200 rapid charges over the time they own their EV?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,381 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,520 Posts
Had a quick look. Full of inaccuracies and half truths with missing info. Better to do the calculations yourself using real prices on a short list of cars that you are interested in.

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
Yes. You need to get quotes for the cars in the configuration you would buy them in and then make a table.

Or you can skip the entire exercise. An MG 5 will always come out at the top of the table. Nevertheless you will buy something else because you don't want the MG.

I might just be talking to myself here. Replace you with I . . .

·
Registered
412 Posts
Agree, it’s nonsense. You have to work out the range you need first (broadly, what’s the longest journey you are doing so regularly thT you don’t want to have to stop for half an hour). Then you can look at cost for cars that can do that range.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts