Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Zap Map vs Open Charge Map vs Plugshare

11K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Lee Jones 
#1 ·
So who prefers what? None are perfect or completely up to date.

Open Charge Map

Zap Map

Plugshare

It's a bit of pain updating a charge point on all three sites as I've recently done for Exeter's new charge network. But the best site to work with for my money is Plugshare. They've got good mobile apps as well.

#5 ·
Tried 'em all...! ... And have settled (for now) on plugshare. The IOS app is easy the most simple to use (IMO). It just needs to update its connector options for UK users (no BS1363 or CCS). Has anyone contemplated a POI database to work with TomTom? It'd make navigating to an unfamiliar EVSE much quicker, esp right when you really need it, ie on the road. MW

#6 ·
As much as I enjoy the openchargemap integration with OVMS for my wife's Roadster, the Plugshare/Recargo databse seems to be the most complete for US based EV drivers. So, I use that.

#7 ·
Briefly:

Bad Points
Plugshare - lack of detail about chargepoints. Least comprehensive of the three sites for UK coverage?
ZapMap - Website banners intrusive, no mobile apps, some inaccurate info
OpenCharge - Website doesn't play nice with older browsers and is embedded. Some points missing.

Good Points
Plugshare - Good apps and good web map
ZapMap - Colour coding of charge points is useful. Good detail.
OpenCharge - Good detail and plenty of points, especially ZCW in UK. Mobile apps improved.

Please help keep all three maps updated.

#10 ·
Just joined SprakEV!

Have also tried a few. To me it has come down to

PlugShare - Best
- great app on mobile & website.
- free !!
- good customer services, can report broken chargers or innaccurate info
- user friendly, community feel, see who's charging in your local area, txt other EVs and swap info.
- easy to add pics and updates on lical sites you visit
- ability to add your own charger for users to contact you if need emergency charge!
- although UK coverage needs to improve, the fact that it is easy for users to add new sites and data makes me think it has incredible potential. It can improve rapidly in a Wikipedia style based on input partly from users.

ZapMap - necessary but clunky!
Interface on phone is less user friendly and intuitive.
BUT has best UK coverage. It costs £5 for app which is very annoying. But for now I would still buy it as it has few extra chargers. I am however doing my utmost to add Chargers across from ZapMap into PlugShare when I have time as I think PlugShare is best overall for EV users going forward.

So any of you Fellow Plug-sharers , get adding! (There is an amusing leaderboard to show in your part of UK who has added the most chargers)

All best. Avoid the ICE'd on the road

Colin.

#12 ·
Personally I prefer OpenChargeMap.

I don't really like ZapMap.

I'm indifferent with PlugShare.

The problem is (as mentioned) that there are too many things to update. If only they could update one another...

#14 ·
Open data does not always equal up to date data. I give you an example. Look up Coulsdon Surrey. Openchargemap shows 1 location. Lion Green Road and operational. In fact it is not operational but there are 2 other locations in Coulsdon not listed. Zapmap and Plugshare are correct on all 3.
Reason. Because we the users reported them as such on those apps.
Openchargemap entries are ones I made last year and I have not had time to update all the records. I will do this later.
Until then, be careful out there.

#16 ·
On the other side of the coin, I've used plug share and zapmap and found them to be wrong, where open charge map was correct.

I think the point is there isn't a single solution which has it all.

#19 ·
How about those who invested in installing the charge points show some leadership and update the public charge point maps? Why should it be up to the public to stumble upon charge points and update umpteen sites? It really is not a good advert for EVing. Unless of course it's not in their interests for the points to be actually used?

#20 ·
@Lee Jones
Unfortunately there is little financial incentive for charge companies to fix network, they make money installing and selling equipment. There is often major of passing buck from premises owners, councils, car park companies and network companies over access to private land and over whose responsibility it is. The small charge fees don't cover much in way of maintenance costs I fear. These EV networks are still disjointed and in their infancy. Many ICE owners are still short sighted and whilst EVs are so expensive they sometimes are indifferent or even against money spent on EV networks. Obviously given time as EVs get cheaper and batteries and networks get better there will be an inevitable tipping point where EV will start to become mainstream.

As pioneering first adopters it is in our interest to report faulty machines near us and help update Apps like plugshare as this will help promote our cause in long term. If we sit back and be passive machines will go unfixed and map information will remain out of date. People need to see EVs sitting on working chargers and think "that looks interesting" and want to find out more.

#21 ·
By the way. As a bit of fun there is a section on Plugshare App where there is a leaderboard of users who have added new chargers. (The Scouts!) I have given my reasons for choosing Plugshare as the App I am going to concentrate on, although I know some favour others. Using ZapMap and the network app maps along with Google map (for street map pics!) I have now added across 90 stations (now at #6 in leaderboard!).

I would be most grateful if any EV users reading this post please would consider adding/ updating a couple of their closet stations on Plugshare. If possible be great if can also add a picture of your EV Charging there!

If anyone fancies a bit of a challenge, see how many stations they can add to Plugshare from ZapMap etc and be a "scout" as well.

All best guys (as I write this my local charger is sadly turned off and ICEd for good measure, oh well! )

#22 ·
Colin, I'm in no way criticising the fantastic job done by contributors to each of the charge map sites, and my comments regarding the installers were entirely tongue-in-cheek (unintended consequence of the government's policy, no real responsibiliy for successful use of the sites) but, if a charging map is inaccurate in any way, it detracts a hell of a lot from it's usefulness; I believe it should be incumbant on any operator of a publically financed charger to accurately depict it's location and status in a centralised, freely available database (preferably in map form).

I've seen comments about the possibility (or otherwise) of operators' map data being automatically shared (a piece of p**s for any programmer worth his salt) in a centralised, freely available map, but can't remember the reasons why such an endeavour has not yet been achieved. Surely, this should be something we can all strive towards? This would provide us with...

1) a highly accurate database of charging locations in the UK
2) a centralised resource enabling users to comment on the sites and report issues (back to the relevant operator)
3) an improvement in the image of EVing giving it more professional outlook
4) less complaints on SpeakEV re: inaccurate bloody charging maps ;-)

Incidentally, I have advised a client of mine to monitor such sites as SpeakEV in order to gain more esoteric information regarding EVers attitudes towards the EV world in which we must operate. This is essential to the accurate modelling of the uptake of EV's as the interactions between us "pioneers" (amongst ourselves on such a public platform) and with non-EVers in our "real" lives heavily influence the attitudes of potential purchasers. The continual "mess" of the current mapping system(s) is detrimental to the image of EVs and, consequently, to uptake. (the client is an EU research establishment btw).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.