Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw that Zap-Map are releasing their own pay feature for charging, looks quite interesting and assuming all their partners sign up, it might finally make paying for charging while out and about easier!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Saw that Zap-Map are releasing their own pay feature for charging, looks quite interesting and assuming all their partners sign up, it might finally make paying for charging while out and about easier!

John

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
279 Posts
I’m glad you said 'might'. I’ll reserve my judgement, but it’s a start I suppose.
I can’t see why it can’t be mandated that all public charge points should use contactless debit/credit cards from a certain future deadline. Surely that would be the ultimate solution wouldn’t it?

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I agree that they should all have that option, I don’t think we’ll get there without some form of government intervention. It should work just like any petrol station in my opinion. In the meantime, if there is one app “to rule them all” so to speak, it’s a step in the right direction. That said, I won’t be signing up to it until they have sufficient “partners” on boarded to make it worth it otherwise it’s just another app, but it’s an interesting idea as Zap-Map does have most of the U.K. networks on their live monitoring service. They could come closer than anyone else if it works.

·
Registered
91 Posts
While I agree that they should all have that option, I don’t think we’ll get there without some form of government intervention. It should work just like any petrol station in my opinion. In the meantime, if there is one app “to rule them all” so to speak, it’s a step in the right direction. That said, I won’t be signing up to it until they have sufficient “partners” on boarded to make it worth it otherwise it’s just another app, but it’s an interesting idea as Zap-Map does have most of the U.K. networks on their live monitoring service. They could come closer than anyone else if it works.
Also most EV owners do have it already on their phones and are frequent users of it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Zapmap may cover most UK networks but currently, and the foreseeable future, you can't pay via Zapmap for them. Nor will you be able to for all the chargers where there is questionable data coverage.

So yeah, seems like a good idea and some may like it but can we just pay for fuel with our cards like anyone else does without having to sign up to a club please?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Ah, the joys of the efficiency that capitalism brings to the world ;)

·
Registered
546 Posts
So they are trying to do what plugsurfing is already doing. Pointless other than for their benefit. Contactless will be the future. Going forward the only time that I see an app being worthwhile is if you can use your home energy supplier for EV charging stops, like roaming is for mobile phones.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,650 Posts
Its already dead in the water. The new EV buying public will not put up with anything but contactless. They will all have to switch to contactless or go bust.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-2008 GT-LINE
93 Posts
Yes. So why fiddle about with an app when you can use a contactless card anyway... unless there is an advantageous rate, which there isn't.
Exactly Octopus have juice which will charge multiple networks to your home electric account so I'll go for that as should be one RFID for all under the scheme and no app faff, but if contactless is available nothing is simpler

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Christ on a bicycle... it's another standard 🤣

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
EVERY OTHER GOODS AND SERVICES ON THE ENTIRE PLANET TAKES DEBIT CARDS. SO CAN EV CHARGERS. THAT IS ALL!!!!!!
Up to now, they’ve had a bit of a cornered market between them so could do what they wanted. Once competition spreads out, it’ll kill off those that want you to “sign up”. Can’t believe there are still new posts going in around me with yet another “sign up to use“ model.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
let's hope the app isn't like the financial one I tried out that could consolidate all your bank accounts in one place.... by requiring all your logon details for each one you wanted to include.:(

·
Registered
12 Posts
I really don't get why they want people to sign up to use their charging points. Normally it would be so they could take some sort of cut on what you spend, but these are the charging suppliers themselves so they're already getting all the money. Otherwise they might want to track you for marketing purposes, but who in their right mind consents to that? Utterly (charging) pointless.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts