Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a Zappi 2 being installed on wednesday but looking at installation videos (fun for a sunday evening) I’m now worried I may need additional bits.

I assumed it was a smart charger to qualify for the OLEZ or whatever its called, and all the videos you see show it with the app showing current going from solar to the house or out to the car etc, and they talk about solar PV balancing etc and use of smart tariffs.

But if I’m reading/watching correctly - you can’t do any of this out of the box?? I’m hoping I’m wrong but if not I’ll need to get in touch with the installer asap.

1) Seems like you only get one CT clamp in the box which is needed to measure incoming current from the grid. So if you want to also monitor incoming current from Solar (which I do) - I’ll need a second CT which seems to be an optional extra (no idea how much or whether they’re difficult to get hold of). and of course this is the kind of thing you’d want to get set up at installation time as it needs to connect inside the charger.

2) it seems to have no way to actually use the app they always show, without an additional hub, which also needs to be wired to your network? I have a spare ethernet socket either in the living room or in the spare room closer to the Zappi but is it an absolute requirement?

Is it just a dumb charger wiht a manual timer without these two things? I guess if I’m on something simple like a fixed off-peak tariff I can manage with just the additional solar CT and then using eco/eco+, although I would like to be able to monitor the solar via my phone (as the inverter is in the loft so I rarely see it)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,876 Posts
1) Yes you'll need another CT if you want to monitor solar generation - £15 as per the MyEnergi website.

2) Measuring solar gen is fairly irrelevant unless you get the Hub. Not essential, unless you want to track the stats on your system and monitor Zappi behaviour, etc.

I don't have the Zappi yet, but it still functions as a smart charger without the hub, but you have to do everything on the charger itself, rather than the comfort of your living room.

FYI - it works by detecting export power to the grid. So doesn't need to measure solar gen to work properly.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
If you are making user of the OLEV grant then the hub will be included in the price. The hub is needed to make it a 'smart' charge point and will need to be connected to an ethernet port. They are sold as separate units but for a normal install it should be included in the quoted price.

The extra CT clamp is needed to monitor the solar generation, I haven't looked for a while but they were £15.

I have two Zappis and an Eddi and only need one hub and 3 CT clamps. I guess this is why they are sold separately.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1) Yes you'll need another CT if you want to monitor solar generation - £15 as per the MyEnergi website.

2) Measuring solar gen is fairly irrelevant unless you get the Hub. Not essential, unless you want to track the stats on your system and monitor Zappi behaviour, etc.

I don't have the Zappi yet, but it still functions as a smart charger without the hub, but you have to do everything on the charger itself, rather than the comfort of your living room.

FYI - it works by detecting export power to the grid. So doesn't need to measure solar gen to work properly.
ah so for eco mode it can effectively work by detecting ‘am I exporting more than 1.4kwh to the grid?’ and switching based on that? that could work. I still think I’d like the monitor for my own visibility of what the panels are doing but good to know

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The harvi device allows you to connect additional CTs easily. The CTs wire to the harvi, and the harvi connects wirelessly to the hub (if your Zappi has been installed with the OLEZ grant you will already have a hub).

The harvi gets its power from the CTs so is easy to install.

As above it is not needed, but is a nice to have if you want to see where your electricity is going.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,876 Posts
He might need a Harvi if the Zappi is not very near to the CU or main power feed to the house.

Forgot about that.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
distance shoudl be ok - I think its only around 3-4m from the consumer unit to the charger, although will depend on the run used. Hopefully the installer will have all the necessary

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,876 Posts
Should be fine then, as the CT clamp cable is very long and can be easily extended.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MrCharger got back really quickly and confirmed the Hub is included (Myenergi - please update your box contents on your website) and they carry spare CTs

·
Registered
175 Posts
(Myenergi - please update your box contents on your website)
To be clear, from my experience you do not get the Hub in the box with the Zappi, they are separate products. Your installer will order and install both as part of your OLEV compliant install. Anyone ordering a Zappi direct from Myenergi isn't going to get a Hub included in the box.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
To be clear, from my experience you do not get the Hub in the box with the Zappi, they are separate products. Your installer will order and install both as part of your OLEV compliant install. Anyone ordering a Zappi direct from Myenergi isn't going to get a Hub included in the box.
fair enough - EV installers please be clearer what you’ll supply :)

Reactions: Jim500

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,876 Posts
I have had a quote and am being charged an extra £85 for the hub. Is this not right then?
It depends how the installer breaks down the quote.

You can compare what they charge you with the prices on the MyEnergi website.

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
173 Posts
late to the chat but for anyone reading this late, here is a summary of the key things...

• Zappi 2 + a hub qualifies for OLEV grant... any installer can't get the grant without the hub, so their quote will always include the hub but they may bundle the price or separate the price depending on how they quote the hardware.
  • The zappi comes with one CT clamp for the grid monitoring... this will enable you to recoup excess solar because it can tell if you are exporting. So all the functions will work.
  • HOWEVER... if you want to monitor your solar, you need to add a second CT clamp.
  • In addition if you already have a diverter to take excess solar to say an immersion heater (eg an iBoost or similar) or a battery, then a 3rd CT clamp is useful as you then set priorities between zappi and the diverter... eg does the zappi or diverer take precidence.
  • The default with the 3rd CT clamp is the zappi will get the excess when it exceeds 1.4kWh;
  • Without the 3rd clamp, the existing diverter takes priority and grabs everything till it reaches its max. When you get a further 1.4kWh spare it then gives to the zappi. (there was a discussion elsewhere on this topic, and the speed the zappi takes to start is slower than the speed of most existing boosters, so the zappi will always be the lower priority - this is why you need the 3rd CT clamp if you want the zappi to have priority)
  • If you get a eddi to manage the immersion heater, then it comes with a ct clamp so you dont need to by an extra one. (Ive not tested the eddi setup in the config but assume its just better management between eddi and zappi priorities; and some extra features you might not have with existing diverter)
  • Depending on how far you are from the zappi, you either run a cable, or you use a harvi to connect ct clamps to the zappi (or eddi depending on who is master)... but usual rules apply re wireless signals, range, and obsticles! Note the is a proprietory wireless connection and not wifi that is used to connect myenergi devices.
  • The hub is physically connected to the home network via ethernet (there is no wifi use in the setup) It still needs to have a wireless connection to the zappi (or eddi if that is the master device) so needs to still be in range of these devices. (see previous point)
  • People say its useful to see the lights on the hub, but that is pesonal choice and only useful when fault finding. Personally I've just put it next to the router and forgotten about it (along with 101 other hubs for a smarthome - tado, smartthings, sonos etc!)
Think that covers everything!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts