Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, my first post on SpeakEV so hopefully I’ve posted in the correct place?
I have recently had a zappi fitted to charge our eGolf and hopefully make the most of our solar PV. We also have an iboost linked to our hot water cylinder immersion heater that was fitted at the same time as the panels. The zappi has a hardwired CT clamp and the iboost uses the supplied wireless sender and CT clamp.
My question is this: How do I configure the zappi, harvi or iboost and where do I locate the additional CT clamp to allow any surplus generated below 1.4 kW to go to the iboost and then when solar generation reaches 1.4 kW the zappi sees the power being used by the iboost as available and takes over. Currently the iboost comes on when there is somewhere in the region of 150W of excess power (so well before the zappi has sufficient power) and the zappi appears to see the iboost as normal house usage so will not override it in eco and eco+ even when there is sufficient power for it to turn on and charge.
I have ordered a harvi which has arrived today but the wiring instruction don’t cover what I want to achieve.
Hope that makes sense? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Adsie

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I think the easiest way to achieve this is to use compatible equipment, i.e. Zappi and Eddi. Given you already have the iBoost the only option may be to set it with a delay or large threshold so the Zappi gets in first and the iBoost gets what's left over.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Adsie, While I dont have a Zappi or iBoost, however, use Eddi from myenergi with batteries. The new Eddi firmware has some options to prioritise the loads like Battery and third party diverters.

Quoting the instructions from Eddi manual (It seems to be very similar for Zappi as well)

Third-Party Diverters
Some properties may have a third-party energy diverter already installed and you may want the eddi to take priority (when consuming surplus power) over the other diverter. This is possible by installing an extra CT to monitor the diverter.
The CT should be clipped around the Live cable of the supply feeding the diverter. The arrow on the CT should be pointing away from the diverter. Wire the CT to the nearest myenergi device or use a harvi unit if wireless connection is needed.
Configure the CT Type as Storage Only. See CT Config (page 21) for details of how to configure CTs.

I can see similar configuration for Zappi - please refer to Page 33 in the Zappi Manual Rev 2.0 Feb 2019! So worth a try!

Like Trevor mentioned, it will be a lot more easier, if you had Zappi and Eddi, as they can work out the priorities between each other through configuration settings (In theory at least, as there are a few firmware glitches which many of the users have reported). The above method may work better than adding a delay/threshold on iBoost, as Zappi would need a minimum load of 1.5KW for EVs to start charging and when there is that extend of export iBoost would have started diverting anyway, which in turn will leave less power for Zappi. Zappi seems to override the thirp-party diverters by monitoring the current being sent to iBoost, which should give you more control.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Salil

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your very prompt replies. Having opened the box containing the harvi it doesn't come with a CT clamp so I have one on order. Once it arrives I'll get it set-up and report back...watch this space!
Adsie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Zappi/iboost/harvi update...
The MyEnergi supplied CT clamp arrived in the post this morning but I am struggling to get it to work. I have wired the clamp lead to CT1 on the harvi and clamped it to the cable supplying the iboost with the arrow away from the diverted. The harvi does not appear to be getting any power as I have no flashing lights on the harvi. I know the harvi is working as I have clipped the harvi and CT clamp to the meter tails and it powers-up. I have tried clipping the clamp at different locations including on the AC-out side of the inverter so I know there is power running through the cable but nothing! The only locations I get power to the harvi is in the meter box. That said, the harvi only appear work on single core cables i.e. the single live/neutral cables but not on any 3 core cables in the meter box - I assume when fitting it to the cable supplying the iboost which is a 3 core cable it should work? Am I missing something obvious here?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...it appears I was missing something obvious - the ability to read instructions! For anyone in a similar position the CT clamp needs to be connected to a single core, in my case the live supply to the iboost. It’s a tight fit but the clamp will fit inside the iboost cover. Just fiddling with the CT settings but it appears to be working.
Thank you Salil and Trevor for your help.
Lesson for the day...R.T.F.I. - read the flipping instructions!!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have been sitting on the fence about buying the Zappi because-

1) Whenever the export of PV is below the 10amps required to charge the EV i want it to heat the DHW but if/when the export is more than 10amps i want it to divert to the EV. Importantly it means the export is always being used. If i am understanding correctly on the Zappi once the EV OR immersion as kicked in it will prevent the flip flopping to one or the other or even both on at the same time if the export is big enough in summer.

2) In cloudy conditions the export could be frequently changing from one side of the 10amps threshold to the other. Not so sure this is good thing for the EV charging and the car will not know if its coming or going so to speak.?

3) I have a Immersun which besides having 2 diverters also has a relay function which could be simply programmed to do what i want. It would deal with the in and out of cloud situation by only assessing the stuation every say15mins or as programmed.

Not sure Zappi is the the right tool for the job as described -what do others think?

Ken

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
365 Posts
I have been sitting on the fence about buying the Zappi because-

1) Whenever the export of PV is below the 10amps required to charge the EV i want it to heat the DHW but if/when the export is more than 10amps i want it to divert to the EV. Importantly it means the export is always being used. If i am understanding correctly on the Zappi once the EV OR immersion as kicked in it will prevent the flip flopping to one or the other or even both on at the same time if the export is big enough in summer.

2) In cloudy conditions the export could be frequently changing from one side of the 10amps threshold to the other. Not so sure this is good thing for the EV charging and the car will not know if its coming or going so to speak.?

3) I have a Immersun which besides having 2 diverters also has a relay function which could be simply programmed to do what i want. It would deal with the in and out of cloud situation by only assessing the stuation every say15mins or as programmed.

Not sure Zappi is the the right tool for the job as described -what do others think?

Ken
This is how I understand the Zappi works.

1) The Zappi will not start charging in Eco++ mode until it sees a clear 1.4kW being exported. If something else is already diverting say 1kW to heat water, the Zappi won't kick in until it sees an additional 1.4kW being exported. If you fit a CT clamp to the diverter, then the Zappi can kick in at the lower rate. But this would mean that the hot water diverter would not then get anything until the export drops below 1.4kW or the car is full.

2) The battery in the car is designed for this. Don't forget that driving produces a huge variation in the charge and discharge as you accelerate and brake using regen.

3) No idea.

At present I don't think a complete and easy to manage solution is out there. Our houses and the wiring within them need to get an awful lot smarter.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My doubts are that it behaves as you describe but not how i described.
Below 10amps (2.4kw) potential excess I want the diverter to heat the water. When the potential export reaches greater than 10amps i want the immersion heater to switch off and the charger to switch on and vice versa as the pv varies.
Ken

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
731 Posts
In a similar boat...i have an iboost with solar panels. Im actually wondering if a zappi is worth the hassle? Might just go for a regular charger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve had a zappi for a couple weeks now and for the most part it works well. With the recent sunny weather I have been leaving it in eco+ mode and achieving between 95 - 97% green charging from my solar PV. The reason it’s not 100% is that if you put the kettle on for example, the zappi uses grid power to ‘smooth’ the pause to the charging. I suspect during the winter months I will be using eco (as opposed to eco+) which uses any surplus solar and tops up with grid power. Both eco+ and eco modes have the ability to adjust the ratio of grid or solar power.
I read a blog recently Should I divert surplus solar electricity into my hot water tank? - Joju Solar which basically said you are better off charging your car (or other electric only use) rather than heating your water if you have a gas boiler as gas is cheaper per kw of energy than electricity.
I also have an iboost but have yet to get that to work correctly with my zappi. I have fitted an additional CT clamp and harvi to the iboost but can’t get the zappi to override the iboost and have priority on any surplus energy. I want the zappi to charge the car when I have sufficient solar to charge (approx 1.4KW) but when it drops below this, I want the excess to divert to the iboost. Currently my zappi is not ‘seeing’ the power used by the iboost as available power. I’m hoping I have just got a setting wrong somewhere but haven’t had a chance to fiddle with it enough.
If anyone has the same set-up and has got it working correctly could you post your zappi settings and how you’ve wired your additional CT clamp please.
Overall though, a good bit of kit with the potential (once I’ve got it sorted!) to maximise self consumption.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Adsie, As indicated earlier, I dont have a similar setup. But could suggest a few things to check, based on my understanding on how it is supposed to work.
1. Please check if you have the latest firmware. I believe the latest Zappi firmware is 2.1. Older firmware had issues in setting priorities!
2. Please check on the Harvi device setting, for the CT connected to iBoost Line, the CT type should be set to Storage
3. For the CT setup on Iboost, please check if the arrow is pointing away from the Iboost, towards the distribution box
4. Once Zappi starts diverting power to the EV, you should check if the power to the Iboost is coming down - you can check it on the Zappi, under the Harvi CT menu to find the current readings.

If 1-3 are okay and you dont see power to iBoost dropping after Zappi kicks in, you should call myenergi service. They should be able to help! They seem to be providing support on weekends now!

Regards,
Salil

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Salil,
Thank you for the reply. I’m pretty sure I have it setup as you describe and as per the instructions and my firmware is the latest. I still can’t get the zappi to work as I want it. If, for example, we have a sunny day and I turn off the iboost to give the zappi all the available power it works fine. If I then turn the iboost back on the zappi continues to have most of the available power but I have noticed there is a small amount of power going to the iboost - 100 watts or so. Not sure why this is? If I then put the kettle on for example, when the load from the kettle is satisfied the iboost kicks in before the zappi using all the available power and the zappi’s display shows “ waiting for surplus”. The zappi does not appear to be seeing the power used by the iboost as available. I think I will contact my energy in the week and go through my settings as something clearly is not setup as it should be...argh!
I’ll update once I’ve got it all working.
Nick

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Nick,

Looks like, once iBoost start diverting the excess power, Zappi isnt able to pull the power back! As per the design it should have, as it should consider the power being diverted to "Storage" as excess. Hope you have made sure the direction of CT is correct.

Another step to debug would be to configure CT Type as AC Battery and under Battery setting under "Supply Grid - Battery" in Advance settings, pick the option Avoid Both (It is meant for an AC battery setting, to avoid a charge or draining of the AC Battery).

This can be a quick check to see if it avoids iBoost from drawing power, once Zappi sees it diverting power.

Also check if you have set any Export Margin (should be set to 0) in the Supply Grid settings under Advance settings. This could delay Zappi from kicking in, giving iBoost a head start.

I think Zappi-Eddi would have been a much better combination for you! A key setting available in Eddi is an Export Threshold and Response Delay, which I use to delay diversion, and in my case it helps me give the priority for my AC Batteries, rather than Eddi. And in a Zappi-Eddi paired mode, the priority can also managed more directly!

If the AC Battery setting is also not working, a call to myenegi is your best bet!

Regards,
Salil

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Nick - one more point. On the iBoost input, please make sure the CT is connecting only on the Line and not over Line/Neutral/Earth multi-core cable!

Salil

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Salil, someone has suggested linking the harvi monitoring the iboost to CT2 (it’s currently linked to CT1). I’ll give that a try and if there is no luck with that I think I will admit defeat and call the boffins at myenergi.
Thanks again.
Adsie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts