Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After waiting 14 weeks for a Zappi (along with the Harvi & Eddi) I eventually got them installed a few weeks ago.
(As an aside... IMHO Its poor show that MyEnergi continue to roll out kit in other countries while failing to deliver kit to the waiting UK customers!)

The only reason I waited was because my installer (who used the same setup for his Tesla and PV array) sung its praises as being the best available??

So far it has been failing on every front!
Not a single KW of excess solar has gone into heating the water or charging the van - It has gone back into the grid!
The timer on the Zappi has not activated charging even once! The 'Boost' worked for the first time last night, but It would not cancel or stop. (I wanted to increase the charge).

I am at the point of thinking of rejecting the whole system as not being fit for purpose.

Has anyone else experienced issues like this or the 'Data Not Current' issue??

The kit was not cheap.. but it has been atrocious (The Zappi has now been renamed the 'Crappi'!)

Thanks all

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can't comment on the use of the Zappi because the EV isn't turning up till next week and we are not having an Eddi at the moment.
What I can tell you though is that my electrician ordered the Zappi on 06 January, it arrived with him on the 8th and it was installed on the 10th. When I asked about possible delivery delays he said "nope they normally arrive in a couple of days"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good news on your EV(y)

looks like they have sorted the backlog at least that is some positive. I even contacted MyEnergi and was told there was nothing they could do about an earlier delivery:rolleyes:

I am interested to hear how it all goes for you.

Thanks

·
Registered
586 Posts
Not a single KW of excess solar has gone into heating the water or charging the van - It has gone back into the grid!
Is there a minimum that has to be reached for energy to diverted to the water like there is for the van? Have you exceeded the minimum that is required for the van - it hasn't exactly been sunny in my neck of the woods!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,201 Posts
I have a zappi2, eddi and a hub, I did get a harvi but it was not used as the installer wired the zappi to the eddi with Cat 5 cable. To begin with, I was not getting anything from solar going to the immersion, this was due to a CT clamp being installed on the wrong cable. To avoid the hassle of me needing to arrange for the installer to come back I contacted the helpline and were very good. I submitted a couple of photos, and explained the positioning of the CT clamp. The CT clamp was moved from one cable to another (it has been fitted to the combined solar and grid cable as opposed to only the solar) and they talked me through the processes to update the software for both the hub and zappi2. Although I have a 4kW array I have not generated enough solar for the car but the immersion is kept topped up. I had read that there needs to be a minimum of 1.4kW before it will divert to the car but this also made reference to J1772 and needing this as a minimum. I need to have my car well charged each day but come the summer sunshine I will be trying to put some power in there. Currently, the immersion takes priority but it is easy to swap on the app.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The data not current issue is one I had as the installers did it the wrong way round. You need one CT clamp around your grid supply (to monitor exports & trigger eddi/zappi) and (if you have it) one around your solar. Both these need to go into one device and that ha to be set as the master device.

Setting up the master device fixed my surplus not being used for the eddi.

Fixing the CT clamps fixed the issues of not displaying solar generation and messages about Data not being Current.

The app is absolutely awful, so the issues you describe around boosting etc may well be that you have to try several times and wait 60s between them to see if it actually happened...

·
Registered
47 Posts
After all of this and it now works (crap app aside) my car just turns off after a certain length of time so the use of surplus for car Charging and using the zappi for timing charges with Octopus Go seems totally impossible, so word of warning before buying don’t get one for use with an Audi/VW, or at least not at the moment.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After all of this and it now works (crap app aside) my car just turns off after a certain length of time so the use of surplus for car Charging and using the zappi for timing charges with Octopus Go seems totally impossible, so word of warning before buying don’t get one for use with an Audi/VW, or at least not at the moment.
Thank you for your reply.
So its partially fixed, but like me you cannot get the timer to work?
since mine was installed it has not managed to turn on once by setting the timer! (I was on go but have moved to agile)
I have to manually boost it by going outside as the app does not work/see the EV??

Yeesterday was a sunny day and al the excess solar was exported to the grid.. nothing into the hot water and nothing into the van!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The data not current issue is one I had as the installers did it the wrong way round. You need one CT clamp around your grid supply (to monitor exports & trigger eddi/zappi) and (if you have it) one around your solar. Both these need to go into one device and that ha to be set as the master device.

Setting up the master device fixed my surplus not being used for the eddi.

Fixing the CT clamps fixed the issues of not displaying solar generation and messages about Data not being Current.

The app is absolutely awful, so the issues you describe around boosting etc may well be that you have to try several times and wait 60s between them to see if it actually happened...
Thank you.

I have checked and the setup looks to be correct. I totally get where you are coming from. The Data Not Current issue appears to rectify itself.. then it comes back again?? Last night the Zappi again failed to see the van! I had to go out and physically Boost the system?

My Eddi is set as priority - but despite yesterday being a sunny day and generating solar excess it was sent to the grid NOT the Eddi or the Zappi for the van? The Powerwall was full btw...

When boosted the van charging last night (after peak time thankfully) i noticed that my Powerwall was draining ad charging the van!! And the installer has double checked the CT clamp as he has the same system for his own array and Tesla car and Powerwall..

I am SO fed up and annoyed. I cant sat the Zappi is failing.. as it has NEVER WORKED!!

I expect better from the 'market leader'!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have you reached out to myenergi or posted on the forums there?

Certainly feels like a configuration issue - why isn't your installer coming back to rectify the issues you are encountering?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you reached out to myenergi or posted on the forums there?

Certainly feels like a configuration issue - why isn't your installer coming back to rectify the issues you are encountering?
Hi
Its a brand new system so I should not be having to sort it myself TBH! MyEnergi are aware. My Installer has the same setup (runs a tesla, PV, Powerwall etc.. and owns an EV conversion company..so is VERY experienced) and has done many installations over the years. They have been back four times so far and have spent hours on the phone to MyEnergi. I have heard them getting lots of advice and lots of mutual head scratching all round! It is so bad that I have given them a house key. I evn bought a new router as I was told that that was the issue. £150 later.. its still not fixed (its a 4g router as we are on an old copper wire direct line to the exchange)

I am now aware of others having issues too. Three in my area alone!
Has there been a software upgrade or something that has disrupted things?

·
jim5452
32 Posts
I am totaly surprised that the zappi is not working as it should as MYENERGI can set it over the wifi.
My setup has worked perfectly since OCT 2018, in summer monthsI had 99% solar for my car, now in winter I just let all surplus go to the immersion to heat the water, as it so rarely gets to 1.4kw
I am also on Octopus AGILE and I expect that sooner or later Myenergi will be charging EV,s on the low rates automaticaly over the wifi.
During the FRED trials there charged my car twice, so they are able to do it

·
Registered
441 Posts
You will need to speak with MyEnergi, as their support forums have a number of posts from M3 owners, and after investigation the issue was traved to Tesla not following the charging protocol properly. MyEnergi have a firmware update rhat tried to work around some problems until Tesla fix their issues, and have also talked to Tesla, who acknowledged the issue and suggested they would work on an update to resolve.

It’s not only Tesla who have issues either, a number of other brands/models do not follow the charging protocols which leads to issues with timed/delay charging, slow charging etc. It always amazes me that when an approved set of standards exist to ensure correct inter-operation of different manufacturers equipment that so many will only partially comply, then wonder why owners get really angry (often at the wrong company initially) when things don’t work properly. Most then hide behind the fact they are the “major” brand so it cannot be their fault it does not work, rather than fixing the issue!!

It also sounds like you may have had installation/config problems which may be down to the installer rather than MyEnergi. Hopefully those are resolved and that only leaves the charging protocol issues to be fixed.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My Installer has the same setup (runs a tesla, PV, Powerwall etc.
I feel your pain. But how home you guys have the same setup yet so different charging experience? Obviously you as a customer should need to resolve those problems but I think something must have gone wrong here.

1. I know some cars have problems with waking up and don't like delayed charging (solar, timers) - eg. Audi and AU/NZ version Kona (Kona had a bug with in-car charge management).
2. Historically Zappi had issues with some home batteries but I thought that was resolved via firmware update.
3. Also there are problems with Tesla<>Zappi (check Myenergi forum)

I have much simpler setup and never had any problems with timed charging (neither from car nor Zappi).
Just an idea for you to try:
a) set up Boost Timer to start before you lock the door
b) very shortly after you lock your car (eg. 1-2 minutes)
c) after a couple of hrs

Maybe this may give a clue of when timed charging fails.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts