Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

A very quick introduction as I've been lurking on here for a week or so now. I am hopefully due to pick up an E-tron 55 (used) next week and enter the world of EV.

My first question is on the home charger side of things.
I almost went for Podpoint however looking around, Ohme was a good contender though the earth stake is not really possible in the location which is essentially in a carport that is block paved.
The other option is to compliment my solar panels and that is Zappi - The only thing is, in the 5 years we've lived here, I have no idea what the solars actually do. I know they tick away on the meter but that about it.

What I did find is a few threads that are slightly older and was wondering if anyone had the Zappi v2 fitted recently and at what cost.

The two quotes I have had via "ev-comply" :
£810
£750
Main difference being the higher quote has a line for standard materials and another for other equipment.
Reason I quote ev-comply is I have no idea whether this is via myenergi or someone else as I've gone a bit quote happy the last few days when it dawned on me that I may have an EV without means of charging at home (aside from the 3pin)

In both cases, it includes the reduction of the EVHS grant.

Are these about right? The other threads seem to be a bit lower but unsure whether as time has moved on, prices have gone up.

I also have no idea on how the solar part works when connecting to the Zappi.

In terms of install, consumer unit has a few blanking plates and the wall it sits on is directly behind where the carport wall is...from there, it could be mounted directly behind or ideally, across to the other side which would probably be around 10m of up and over cabling. Outdoor meter has a 100a fuse.

Appreciate any insight on this and thanks in advance

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
863 Posts
I think I paid about £920 for my Zappi including all the bits and pieces and installation, so your quotes sound alright to me. I haven’t done the calculations as to how soon I’ll see a return on the solar I’m using to charge the car (not entirely sure it stacks up) but it’s a cool thing to do. I don’t know why it makes me feel so good to watch the electricity trickling into the car from the roof, but it does.

·
Registered
286 Posts
About what I paid. Make sure it includes the hub, and if you have solar get them to fit an extra CT clamp to measure the solar generation

·
jim5452
367 Posts
For the SOLAR PV and the ZAPPI a CT clamp on the main lead into the property measures any export of power leaving and as soon as it reaches 1.4KWh it is diverted to the EV when set on ECO+ as cloud pass the energy fluctuates and the ZAPPi waits on standby rather than taking from the grid. There are of course other settings Fast which uses max power and ECO which used a mix of grid and solar during cloudy weather.
The hub which works with the APP also has a account which can control the charging schedule to take advantage of low tariff rate and will either charge during the day using solar and if not fully charged will charge before a preset time
As for the installation cost I cannot help you as I have had mine since JULY 2018 and received a grant

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
863 Posts
I’ve got a fairly small solar setup, so I have it set to start when 60% of the 1.4kWh is generated and the rest comes from the grid. That means that for me it’s never more expensive than my off peak rate, but free when the sun is out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all this helps a lot
How does the the whole clamp system work...ie where does the clamp come from ? I think this is the ignorance on my part not knowing how PV works. It was a new build in 2015 and the panels were part of the house but unfortunately no one actually knew how the things actually work hence the reason I don't think they do anything aside from the ticker meter thing ticking away.

the inverter is a Solis-Mini-1000 but can't find anything about it (its not the 4g model).

Looks like a Podpoint is coming in at 599 installed so we're talking £150 difference. If solar does not work, its a £150 that will pay itself off.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
863 Posts
Why not get an installer to come out and take a look and tell you if the solar is going to work or not? Nothing lost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a possibility - So far the quotes I've had are from installers a minimum of 40 miles away so unless they're in the area, I don't think I could get them to check.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Find out the kWp rating of the array, 4 would be usable but some new builds only had about 2kWp, this determines how viable charging the car is.
If there is no documentation which I would find strange then count the panels, if you calculate at 300watts a panel this will give an estimate.
Assume you will only get 70 or 80% of the max on a full sunny day for a few hhours.Will there be enough to charge With?

Often its easier and cheaper to use a supplier like octopus with a 4 hour band at 5p to charge the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Assuming the image attached (my roof) is classed as 3 panels
3x300 = 900w
70%= 630w
Few hours worth...1890w

Car has a 95kWh capacity (83.6 usable) so on a hot sunny day, am I right in saying 10-15 miles at best? This would cover my work trips but then again... the car would not be on charge at home during the hot/sunny period.

Food for thought - I think I'll base it on who can fit what the earliest

Attachments

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Assuming the image attached (my roof) is classed as 3 panels
3x300 = 900w
70%= 630w
Few hours worth...1890w

Car has a 95kWh capacity (83.6 usable) so on a hot sunny day, am I right in saying 10-15 miles at best? This would cover my work trips but then again... the car would not be on charge at home during the hot/sunny period.

Food for thought - I think I'll base it on who can fit what the earliest
I'm afraid your system is too small to charge the car purely on solar.
It needs to be providing at least 1400W excess as that is the minimum the car will accept.
Your system obviously can't manage that so (I think) Zappi has a blended mode which uses some grid to top up the solar.
Honestly you're wasting your time with that size of array as it probably barely covers your base load usage most of the time.
You will never get a return on the extra a Zappi costs, especially as you won't even be at home during the day!
Just get a normal charger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brilliant thanks for this - I'll look at Podpoint and Ohme again in that case although the latter may be out due to the earth rod

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,134 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts