Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I know a lot of BS is spouted about the apparent "problem" in fitting an earth electrode and connecting a charge point up as a TT installation, but the reality is that there aren't that many installations where it's impossible to fit one. For years every house had an earth electrode for the protective earth, it was the normal way houses here were wired. It's still the normal way that houses are wired in many other countries, too.

The only installations where fitting an earth electrode can be a problem is where there either isn't space to put one far enough away from incoming services (rare, but can happen) or where the soil is of such poor conductivity that it's not practical to get Ra low enough (very permeable sand and gravel soils for example). Even then it's usually possible to fit one, by going deep enough and using something like bentonite around the electrode (or the new conductive concrete that's just come out). There are other concerns, like making sure there's not something conductive that's still connected to the PME PE within touching distance of the car parking area, but again these aren't that common. Driving an earth electrode used to be a bit of a workout in some soils, but the advent of SDS drill adapters that fit the nut driver on a rod makes it pretty easy to get even a long rod in in most soils.

Interestingly, conductive concrete may mean that it's simple to just fit a good earth electrode in new builds, and we may even see a switch back to using TT, rather than PME if conductive foundations become a reality in the domestic sector (they already are in some commercial installations, where TT is the normal earthing system used). Conductive concrete may also mean that shallow earth pits can be used, rather than rods driven deeply into the soil.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have a podpoint and very happy with it. The tethered unit is neat enough certainly looks better than the OHme granny style brick imo. You get up to 15m of cable in the install I actually needed 17m and the installer fitted at no extra cost, it doesn't require an earth stake.

I think the cost for a tethered installed now is £599 after grant. It was installed a week after I put the application in.

·
Registered
364 Posts
We’ll a zappi is still a self contained install without earth or pen fault etc needed separately. And you can integrate with an eddi to redirec spare solar elsewhere even if not used to charge. And does load balancing if you need to keep below a certain amps limit on your house. I think it also balances across two chargers. Some of those aren’t unique to the zappi but it’s more than just a solar diversion option

my solar is only 3kw so I rarely use to charge, I just do octopus go overnight which gives me 50% top up for £1.50

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
374 Posts
We’ll a zappi is still a self contained install without earth or pen fault etc needed separately. And you can integrate with an eddi to redirec spare solar elsewhere even if not used to charge. And does load balancing if you need to keep below a certain amps limit on your house. I think it also balances across two chargers. Some of those aren’t unique to the zappi but it’s more than just a solar diversion option

my solar is only 3kw so I rarely use to charge, I just do octopus go overnight which gives me 50% top up for £1.50
I agree... I already had a type 1 rolec which i replaced with a zappi and lots of ct clamps!
Basically because the rolec didnt have pen fault detection, I chose the zappi because it was cheapest overall... just a straight swap with no new bits in circuit or earth rods. Also meant the replacement took less than an hour to complete. Testing much simpler as it was just the one box on exactly the same cables.
Benefit to me was much better control over the solar energy and the car charging.
I think it was the only option to replace that easily.

And like mrklaw, I charge at night on octopus and that is easy to do too.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
The issue of open PEN fault protection is interesting, as, in terms of safety, nothing is as good as a properly installed earth electrode and suitable RCD. All of the built-in, or add-on, open PEN fault protection devices are less safe, although they do comply with the changed regulations. The bottom line is that if you want to be certain that the touch voltage of an exposed conductive part, relative to the local ground potential, is always within the safe limit you really have to have a local earth reference. Using secondary forms of supply sensing to estimate whether the touch voltage might be too high is never as safe as having the charge point PE directly connected to local earth potential.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks all - very interesting comments.

In short, I now have 3 quotes for each of the main players discussed with 2 of them being an issue with installation date.

Podpoint: 2-4 weeks
Zappi - 3-4 weeks
Ohme: Next Friday!

For the Ohme, it comes to £599 fitted (standard install) and this is with a Matt:e device which is I think what Johnny Read eluded to or something similar.
On the basis these are around £150, installation is around the £300 mark, this puts the actual charger at around the 400-450 mark.
I know Octupus are doing a special offer at £200 but I think this is only the device and I would need to arrange fitting etc but more importantly, I am not switched to them yet so we are back to the delay side of things again.

For the difference of £150 that I may or may not ever re-coup via solar and I may be looking at moving house in 2-3 years time, I think this is a good compromise unless anyone shouts or has concerns

@barneyd Unfortunately not. Again going towards the ignorance side of things - we initially spoke to EON who were the providers during the initial few years (and assigned by the house builder) to get the solar panels added to our account but it never happened.
We then switched providers, had our smart gas meter replaced by old-school, and eventually it was forgotten about.

Even right now, I have no idea how to get them "provisioned", who to speak to and what they currently do when they're sun-bathing.

Will revive this- it is a shame if there is a saving, we've not had it for 5-6 years and due to the gadgets, we already have a fairly hefty elec bill

21 - 26 of 26 Posts