Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Zappi Cost

12K views 50 replies 22 participants last post by  46689 
#1 ·
Looking to get a Zappi installed on a UK house. Untethered preferably.

The Zappi will be on the outside wall of a detached garage. The garage has an existing supply with a 63A breaker. The distance from the garage consumer unit to where the Zappi will be would be around 7-8m (cable run length).

Bought the house new and the 63A breaker is original. I guess that this means that the cable to the garage could carry 63A as I think the principle is the breaker protects the cable (is that right?). I have another 10mm armoured cable run to the garage just in case though.

Had one quote so far for £1,000 after the grant has been taken off. This is based on connecting that additional cable. The quote does not include Harvis for the CT clamps. Instead it will take a few cores from a spare data cable that is already installed from the house to the garage. According to the quote, the CT clamp for the main supply has to be hardwired because of a recent change in regulations requiring a grid limiter to be fitted (is that right?).

Does £1,000 sound high or not? What have others paid for a Zappi II?

See less See more
#3 ·
I was quoted about a £1000 with no OLEV grant for the Zappi: that price with no grant sounds high. I already have a dumb EO charger so the internal cable for the Zappi is already there.

I also a 100a fuse on the feed in from the network and have a 63a fuse in the garage with a 20m 10mm cable from the main consumer unit but originally they suggested winding down the charger for various reasons: mainly the cable gauge. So it only gives me 6kw not 7kw.

I also have solar and when the sun is shining I just connect my granny charger. 2-2.5kw free!

#8 ·
Do you mean the main isolator in the garage consumer unit is rated at 63A, and that there are then other MCBs for protection of the individual circuits? If yes, then the isolator rating tells you nothing other than it’s maximum rated current capacity, and the incoming cable could be any size to meet the loads of the circuits currently fitted. It could just as easily have been a 100A isolator for example, but it does not mean the supply cable fitted will be able to deliver that. As you have a 10mm cable ready in any case it should not be an issue for you either way though.

#12 ·
The installer will look at the gauge of the house to garage cable but also estimate or measure its length. They have tables to use to work out the safe current carrying capacity with acceptable voltage drop which is a function of the gauge, length and also the "installation method" - eg if its clipped on the surface or buried in insulation.

#15 ·
No I think it's about right. The quotes won't be the same amongst posters here because each house is different which is why the installers often ask for photos and video of proposed install. Some are standard installations. I was quoted about £900 after OLEV grant taken off for a Zappi by Smart Home Charge. Went with Ohme wall charger in end. It doesn't currently have option to preferentially use your solar energy but that is a software update which they say is coming.

#17 ·
Went with Ohme wall charger in end. It doesn't currently have option to preferentially use your solar energy but that is a software update which they say is coming.
Presumably not just software, i.e. it also needs a current clamp around your grid connection so it can tell when you're exporting solar (or does it already have that)?

#18 ·
Zappi 2 quote (untethered).

Just been quoted £2K plus VAT to install, plus to run a dedicated 3 pin socket from the CU as a back up, and put in place missing earth bonding for the house incoming water supply (external run). There is already a Pod point, so it is a swap not full new install.

Any thoughts, I’ve not employed an electrician before, but sounds a lot? With the OLEV grant (we have 2 EV’s) I was thinking under £1K for the charger, and maybe a few hundred more for the other jobs....

thanks

#20 ·
Have you considered if the Zappi would ever pay back as your car will use solar with or without one. Other options like the Ohme, as it is such good value, to optimise TOU tariffs as solar will only be any good for low mileage in the sunny months. All depends on the house/your needs. For example, at my last house the Zappi would have been an expensive toy as the ASHP/DHW diverter would have nicked the bulk of the solar output. Cheers

#21 ·
Thanks both. I do wonder if it’s worth it Scrooge. Maybe I should just get a quote for a dedicated 3 pin socket as a back up for the podpoint...

#24 ·
Jrtev - water comes in in copper, neither pod point or the installers of our solar flagged anything up about it’s absence. Looks like it used to be bonded under the kitchen sink on the other side of the house, the old earth is just hanging cut off behind the sink cupboard, other end still connected in the CU! Kitchen fitters I guess, pipes are plastic in the kitchen, but all copper from stop tap to toilet to utility to bathroom. Must have been like this for about 15 years, we moved in 3 years ago.

No sparky has been and confirmed the bonding is needed, I have just flagged up that I think it needs doing from my observations. Someone needs to come and take some actual readings but I’d be amazed if none is required. Bit concerned about how safe this is as it stands.

Existing cable to be reused for the zappi.

#26 ·
Thanks Jrtev, that was my gut feel, I was expected more like half that price really... struggling to find someone to come and just do the bonding, no one local seems to want to do it! Frankly I could run it from point A to B and just have someone connect it up

#27 ·
If your really set on a Zappi run the 10mm earth cable yourself, buy a earth clamp, run a 4mm twin and earth (2.5mm will be enough but future proof it) and then get a Zappi approved sparky to change the unit. I think they use contractors but through them 100 quid to terminate earth and ip rated socket.
Where do you live?

#32 ·
Thanks Hilltop Dave, this is what the incoming looks like. Apologies for the mankyness in the photo, this is under the sink in the downstairs loo and all needs renovating! As you can see, copper incoming, then meter with an earth across it and another stop tap, but then no earth going back to the CU. Pipes running up just go to the sink taps, the horizontal pipes above the skirting head off to feed rest of house (well the cold does and hot back from the tank)

#34 ·
Should I be trying to avoid Harvi if possible in the install, or does that only cause glitches if Eddi is also in the mix? Both quotes are for Harvi and 2 CT clamps.

#35 ·
Apologies for bumping a 6 month old post, but I'm new here. <waves>

I've been quoted £822 to install a Zappi at the same time as my 4.3kW PV and GivEnergy battery is installed. The installer is not registered with the government scheme so the OLEV grant does not apply.

Is this a decent price I as I have to give the go-ahead either way within a day or so.

#43 ·
With the Zappi retail cost being £700 plus the hub at £85 then £800 without the grant being claimed is good even if the sparky is already there don't the other work. There's still work to do and cable etc. to buy.

There were trade discounts available so you have to assume there will is otherwise I can't see anyone fitting one for nothing unless it was a sweetener on the whole deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.