Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I had a quick search of this forum and I didn't find a conclusive answer to my question.

I have just had my ZAPPI2 fitted along with a Hub. I already owned an EDDI

Since I got my car on the 27th Dec 2019 I have been using my old faithful EO (dumb) charger as in its just a straight 7KW charger that is not tethered.

I have been using the Cars charging timers and not once have they let me down. The car is told that I leave the house at 06:00 every morning Mon-Thur. And in the colder months it is also told that I want it to Pre-heat itself before leaving at 06:00.

Now that I have the ZAPPI do I rely on the Cars timers or do I rely on the ZAPPI's timers so my car is

1. Charged to 100% before 6am
  2. And also does not start charging before 02:00 when my night rate starts
  3. And I presume I will still need to use the cars internal brain to tell the car to pre-heat before I leave for work???
I am currently off work after having an L5/S1 Diskectomy so I have plenty of time to test out various ways of doing this, so I can have it tied down and slick before I return to work. The last thing I need is getting out to my car and finding it sitting with 30miles remaining and I have a 70 mile return trip to do. (and before anyone suggests it I don't have any CCS or AC chargers nearby or omw to work)

TIA.:)

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have a Zappi 1 and use the car's timers to do exactly that. Just make sure Zappi is on fast mode and to press the delayed charging button next to the charge port on the car when you plug in.

Do you have solar? There are some known issues about Zappi and eco+ on VW cars. I'll try to find the details, it's on Myenergi's forums. Eco mode works with no problems.

Myenergi are trying to engage with VW to get to the bottom of what the problem is. Unfortunately it seems to be affecting the ID3 as well as the eUp and eGolf.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Zappi 1 and use the car's timers to do exactly that. Just make sure Zappi is on fast mode and to press the delayed charging button next to the charge port on the car when you plug in.

Do you have solar? There are some known issues about Zappi and eco+ on VW cars. I'll try to find the details, it's on Myenergi's forums. Eco mode works with no problems.

Myenergi are trying to engage with VW to get to the bottom of what the problem is. Unfortunately it seems to be affecting the ID3 as well as the eUp and eGolf.
Thanks for the reply,

Yes I have 4.5kw PV with a 5kWh battery connected to it. I have just had the Zappi2 and Hub joined to the EDDI which I had already owned. Now I have all the connectivity via the app for monitoring and modifying any of the systems.

My only issue is my Battery doesn't show up on the Myenergy system. although the battery app I can set lots of parameters like do not discharge until 5pm for instance. and tell it to charge to 50% on the cheap night rates of this time of year. I have quite a lot of mod options... but I would like to nail down how I charge the car via the new Zappi. I did plug it in yesterday and it was on ECO++

It shows the generations of 3.4kw the house needed 500 watts so it sent the remaining 3kw to the car. I ended up with an added 14 miles yesterday which was cool...Then I have today where is is raining and I barely have enough power to run the house let alone power a car LOL...Anyhow any help would be appreciated

EDIT: like I mentioned above it would have been nice if the battery had been connected to the system's network. because when I plug in the car it sees the battery as available PV and starts sucking it dry at 2.5kwh per hour. When I would rather it kept the battery for the evening house usage. but like I mentioned I can sort of et around that via the battery app by telling it to not discharge until a certain time...

·
Registered
546 Posts
You should be able to set it up so the car does not pull on the battery (unless you want it to).
You need to have CTs on the battery and PV (eg with a Harvi) and then set everything up in the Eddi / Zappi.

I have it setup so that battery takes priority, followed by Zappi followed by Eddi. The Eddi is set to do a timed boost every day to be sure there is sufficient hot water. Zappi is set to ECO+.

If I was not working from home I would set a timed boost on the Zappi for night time Monday - Friday and set departure times and minimum charge level on the car to ensure sufficient car range each day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts