Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all,

Any installers in the forum ?
I got a PodPoint and recently decided to swap it for Zappi. We have procured the Zappi charger itself. The installation - in theory should be just a simple swap.
However, given that Zappi needs a CT Clamp(s) - I need to make room for additional cable.
So I got few queries.

At the moment, the mains cable is running from the dedicated RCD through a gland into the PodPoint. Is it ok to just bundle the CT cable with the mains cable, or should I have separate "mini gland" just for the CT? I presume latter would be preferable.

Wish me luck.

For those curious, I am an engineer. I got experience with high voltage, electronics and such. I am not an electrician tho.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
There's no need for a separate gland to be used for the CT clamp wiring provided you have used just the original lead or extended it with the correct type of cable.
Out of interest, regardless of your competency, this work requires signing off by a suitably qualified person.

·
Super Moderator
7,503 Posts
Do you have some kind of generation/storage already or just future proofing?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have some kind of generation/storage already or just future proofing?
I got solar PV, which is one of the primary reasons we are upgrading. PodPoint - as great as of a charger it is - has no such features. Even tho, when talking to one of their people a while ago (for the podcast) - they did say, that technically the charger has all the controlling mechanisms - but they did not see any benefits in having that feature builtin to their chargers. Go figure.

Anyway, I got a Zappi - and I got encouraged by some installers to do it myself. But I'm trying to get as much information as possible, something I like to do.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts