Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3LR
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for tips to beat use my limited solar generation. I don’t get paid for exports so I want to use as much as practical, but it’s only a 2.6kw array. I was getting around 1.6kwh today for a few hours, and my background usage is around 200w so barely enough for a minimal charge

on the zappi I think you can set a % for green so it’ll start charging at eg 1kwh solar and top up to 1.4 with the difference from the grid? If so, what’s a good balance point -50-60% green? Can you set that in the app or does it have to be on the unit?

I’ll be (soon) on octopus go so I should have plenty of overnight capacity to top off the car if needed so the daytime doesn’t need to be a specific amount of kWh, more about utilising as much excess solar without using too much expensive electric from the grid

· Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3LR
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Zappi will only start charging the car when there’s 1.4 kW of excess generation.

So it depends what your panels will generate.
but you can adjust the threshold i think? So if you set it to eg 50% then it would start charging at 700w excess and take the other 700w from the grid

· Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3LR
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don’t have a hot water tank. I realise the array is small so maybe it’s not practical? If I have to set the mix too low like 50% then the top up at 15p/kWh is effectively 7.5p. Not bad but overnight will be 5p so unless I can match that (which will almost always be enough to top up) then maybe it’s not worth micro managing things? Just put it on eco+ 75-80%, get some scraps form the table, then a boost timer for the cheap hours?

· Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3LR
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, I think so.

Out of interest, are feed in tariffs no longer available in the U.K.?

I get 7 cents per kWh and pay 9 cents per kWh for overnight use. So the margin isn’t huge.
My panels were fitted for free - I get as much electricity as I need but the installers get the FIT.

if I was getting paid then I’d just consider the export as a ‘remote battery’ and charge with off peak :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.