Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
The emonPi is quite interesting. I'd wondered about getting a RaspberryPi to help start teaching my children to programme. I suspect tho I'd maybe not have the time to fully make use of it at the moment.
It uses a RaspberryPi internally, but you can treat it as a sealed appliance to be honest (I've had to pull the SD card once to reflash for a big upgrade). The only fiddly bit is the setup for the processing of the inputs into data streams. It's all web-gui click button, but because it's so flexible it's more complex than other boxes. The guide does a really good job of walking you through it, and if you've got a programmer mind-set it clicks once you've been walked through. Then you can add your own customisations if you want them.

It's not for everyone though. Others put a more polished front-end on.

I initially bought it a couple of years back to get a picture of how I was using energy, as smart meters were provider-locked at the time. I reckon it's paid for itself in that time, and now with the demand shaper module (which came out last year) it's become key to saving me more money. The guys at OpenEnergyMonitor are really down to earth and happy to help anyone who's trying to make the most out of their energy use. They seem to be driving a little local Welsh industry in energy smarts. Hence I'm always happy to recommend them.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Originally I had thought of waiting till later in the year as solar would provide more free energy, but actually made more sense to get switched asap.
Good observation. Biggest savings to be had when you're using the most power.

Looking forward to getting Powerwall2 charged up overnight along with Tesla M3P when it arrives.
Oh Jeez! You're going to be sucking down that cheap juice. Can the powerwall feed onto the grid? You could sell back during those peak periods.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Oh Jeez! You're going to be sucking down that cheap juice. Can the powerwall feed onto the grid? You could sell back during those peak periods.
Effectively yes. See this ...

Since I am going with Evezy and subscribing for a M3P, this isnt for me, but its one of the new wys of supporting the grid and getting export payments with new solar installs.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Ah, I was meaning on Agile under your own control, rather than theirs. Is that a feature of the Powerwall?
Not that I am aware of, but I guess it could be one day with a software update.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, finally caught up and realised the EO charger that has solar PV functionality is on offer with octopus too. Very tempting for a simple one stop solution must admit.
The EO smart mini home looks very tidy which is good as my wife wasn't too enamoured with the thought of some of the bulkier units being situated on the front of the house. Anyone with experience of these?.

However once I mentioned a tethered unit her concerns about a messy front of house re-emerged!. Do most folk go for thethered? Presumably it's more convenient?. The alternative Anderson option seems pricey otherwise ?

Checked my consumer unit and good news is we have a 100a fuse but bad was that we seem to have an old smets1 unit and would need to get on the list for smets 2.

Anyone have any idea when your old supplier is notified of the transfer by the way. Our 50 days notice period commences about 4th March but ideally would like to get on the list for a meter now if possible.

·
Registered
277 Posts
However once I mentioned a tethered unit her concerns about a messy front of house re-emerged!. Do most folk go for thethered? Presumably it's more convenient?. The alternative Anderson option seems pricey otherwise ?
It's as untidy as you make it I think. No worse than a hose pipe coiled on a wall mount if you do it right.

I didn't go tethered as the unit I wanted didn't come in a tethered version, and sure.... I have the get the cable out of the car to charge. Probably changes the process from 10 seconds to 30 seconds. Same when disconnecting. It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. It's only when it's raining that packing up the cable is a annoying.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
A bit torn really. I must admit I like the simplicity and clean looks of just a socket. Not much hardship getting a cable out of the boot I guess really either. (As long as I don't forget it on my travels), plus it's a bit more secure too.

It's almost tempting to put some form of roof covering in the front of the house to make it all the comfortable a job.

Anyone have a view on potential charge point app subscription charges too?. Nobody wants to be hit with them for a plug with what appears to have some of its smart functionality already duplicated in the car to some degree. But having seen news of charges emerging for at least one charge point are other manufacturers likely to follow suit?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seems like solar option are still limited. Ideally you’d want to set something so it uses solar during the day (if high enough supply), and then tops up with overnight off peak if needed - figuring out dynamically based on how much you got from solar

If it charges a bit during the day but then continues with peak electric then you may not be getting any benefit.

mans if you are at work during weekdays maybe better looking at battery storage?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Seems like solar option are still limited. Ideally you’d want to set something so it uses solar during the day (if high enough supply), and then tops up with overnight off peak if needed - figuring out dynamically based on how much you got from solar

If it charges a bit during the day but then continues with peak electric then you may not be getting any benefit.

mans if you are at work during weekdays maybe better looking at battery storage?
So I feel we are almost there today with this: suits us well, with no battery needed.

Zappi-2 chargepoint set to Eco - will trickle at 1.2kWh, but will go higher if there is solar excess (saw a massive 2 kWh only this week, woohoo ?).
It is also the set to boost to the full 7kWh maximum for the duration of our Octopus 5p/kWh Go Faster tariff (for us, 20:30-00:30hrs).
We then have the Kona set to pre-heat from 9am (most journeys currently begin around 9:15-9:30), so has a little extra power used for that, but worth every penny to get in to a defrosted warm motor!

Currently most of our journeys are around 55-60 miles, and uses perhaps 20kW.....thus costing about £1-£1.50 to fill up: happy days!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts