Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Installation will be out of sight, relatively, low down, so aesthetics not important.

Plain two horse race / I have solar as other thread, both will be tethered units. I gather solar functionality is similar now.

I also heard hypervolt UK volume > zappi volume and potentially the more reliable unit?

Both will have an extra CT solar clamp. Hypervolt is £100 cheaper.

Which one is best / most likely to last at least 5 years in your view?

·
The best there is at what I do
11,143 Posts
I believe the Zappi has propriatory PEN fault protection built in, not sure how the Hypervolt deals with this.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
The Zappi has far and away the better open PEN fault protection system of the two, the Hypervolt uses a crude voltage sensing system I believe, so will false alarm if the supply voltage is on the high side and may not always detect a true open PEN fault either. I don't have a Zappi, or any connection with them, but did recently install an Eddi and have to say I'm very impressed with both the engineering and the firmware. It seems that Myenergi have put a great deal of effort into making their products as versatile and easy to use as possible.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Don't have either but given the choice I'd take the Zappi over the Hypervolt (keep hearing they struggle a bit with Wifi (presumably because it ultimately runs off a Raspberry Pi.) Generally the Myenergi/Zappi ecosystem just seems more polished to me)
As an aside I have the Indra Smart Pro which does solar matching absolutely fine. I Think EO do one as well with Solar capability. Givenergy also have one coming if you happen to have their inverters which will play nice with solar.

·
Registered
Skoda Enyaq Sportline 80
341 Posts
I had the same two horse race and went with a Zappi and later on an Eddi, and can only echo Jeremy's sentiments, they are very well built and custom made with the best engineering MyEnergi can fit in them. They don't look as flashy as Hypervolt (something I think ME should work on!) but they seem very solid and I dont see as many people having issues with them as Hypervolt (mainly the Wifi issue which they 'fix' with free wifi extenders). Nothing against Hypervolt, I just got the gut feeling Zappi was better. I think Hypervolt ourselling Zappi is down to supply constraints on Zappi's.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Myenergi used to have a very detailed article on their website explaining open PEN faults and their protection solution, but seem to have pulled it. Which is a shame.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Myenergi used to have a very detailed article on their website explaining open PEN faults and their protection solution, but seem to have pulled it. Which is a shame.
They seem to have lost a lot of stuff on their website over the past couple of days. I was part way through reading the wiki on the Eddi when it disappeared, seems they have pulled a lot of content off the site for some reason. There's an efixx video with Dr Chris Horne from Myenergi covering the open PEN protection which is worth a watch, I linked to it in this post: British Gas Hive EV charger - Alfen Eve S-Line

·
Registered
Kona 64kw Premium 2022
620 Posts
I bought my Zappi a month ago from Electrical2go . It’s a superb bit of kit and using the Eco++ to only charge using surplus solar is brilliant. In the 2 weeks since installation I have only charged using Eco++

I bought the new integrated hub model. Its gone up in price by £50 over the past month but still £89 cheaper than directly from myenergi. MyEnergi Zappi Eco-Smart EV Charge Point 7kW Type 2 Tethered Black

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I only have experience of the Zappi so cannot compare against the Hypervolt, but have been very pleased with my Zappi based system (Zappi, Eddi, Harvi and hub). I have had the Zappi for just under 4 years, the rest for just under 3 years.

Everything works well together. Support from MyEnergi is very good - when I had a problem with my Harvi they resolved it very quickly.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Plus one more for the Zappi. And also found their support spot on. Only needed to talk to them once when it was first installed just to clarify a few things. No problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Givenergy have an EV charger due out end of June which deals with solar I am waiting to see how that compares.

On another thread I have listed all the chargers that can be set to 6amps which is ineffect how you can use excess solar.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Givenergy have an EV charger due out end of June which deals with solar I am waiting to see how that compares.

On another thread I have listed all the chargers that can be set to 6amps which is ineffect how you can use excess solar.
If it helps you can also set the Ohme up in a bit of a fudge to output various amps by selecting different vehicles as your car.
i.e MG ZS Trickle Charge - 6A
Nissan Leaf 3.3kW - 13A
and so on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts