Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a few quotes for a home chargepoint, and I had a full site visit today as well. The guy doing the site visit said the install would actually be super straightforward - barely any cabling needed at all, which is nice. The one iffy thing is the house is apparently on a 60/80-amp fuse, and he's not allowed to see whether it is actually 60 or 80. To avoid a potentially long delay (at my insisting) he recommended a chargepoint that can do load balancing, like ProjectEV or Zappi. I've heard good things about Zappi, but was under the impression they are pretty expensive. However, he just sent the quote over and I was pleasantly surprised. He can either do a ProjectEV chargepoint (untethered) for £570.62 installed (though I'd need a type 2 cable on top of that if I don't want to constantly get my car's cable out...) or he can do a full Zappi (with hub, Harvi, and tethered 6.5m cable) for £845.66.

Anyone have experience with both of these and able to give a recommendation? I'm pretty tempted to go for the Zappi, since I have heard such good things about it (and I do have solar). Especially since once you factor in a cable, the ProjectEV charger would only be ~£100 less...

Best part is he thinks he can get either one installed this Friday, which is pretty great.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
I have a ProjectEV set up as a dumb socket and it works fine - I plug in, car clicks quite happily, charging starts when scheduled, no complaints. Whenever I've tried to set up anything even remotely clever on the charger, it all goes to shit, doesn't work and the car throws a wobbly. I haven't tried using solar or load balancing with it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit crap. Perfectly fine plug and charge socket, wouldn't bother with it for anything else. 5 year warranty is nice though.

No idea what a Zappi is like.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The Zappi smart functions work fine with my GTE, with solar and an Eddi for hot water. The Myenergi app is a bit clunky but works fine for me.

There are currently issues with Zappi smart functions and the ID3 - I assume the same will apply to the ID4 for now at least.

On the basis of @cdlb experience with ProjectEV and his GTE I think it likely that neither will currently give you smart functionality, but Myenergi are arguably more likely to get it working.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I’m surprised they can’t take a look - I rang my DNO who didn’t have a record of my main fuse and they told me the installer could open the fuse to record what it was and then get back to them if needed to update it. Saves them a trip coming out if it doesn’t need doing.

Main thing was having a Zappi meant the installer could finish their install and set the grid limit even without upgrading the fuse so they don’t need to come back. Then if/when you get it upgraded, you can change the grid limit to 80A.

Mine ended up being 80A so is probably fine although I’ve asked the DNO about an upgrade anyway

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
157 Posts
My brother-in-law is an ev installer and he swears by Zappi now... the price is a little higher because of the extra protection in the box which you would otherwise have to buy and install in/by consumer unit. So at first glance it looks expensive but from a total install cost its about the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts