Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

Anyone using a V2 Zappi with the Octopus Agile tariff? Been told that this is now in beta testing out there. Be interested to know whether it works properly and if so, when prepping the charge timers each night how does it know how much charge your car needs....? Big difference in the timing profile to select for a 4Kwh charge compared to 20 or 80. Or whatever.

Thanks.

·
EV Convert
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well l've had a response to my Agile Q from My Energi...

"At present the amount you require has to be entered [into] the app or directly onto the Zappi, but this might change.

"You would need to tell the Zappi how much charge you require and the Zappi will use the Agile tariff to deduce when the cost will be cheapest. It will then decide when it needs to turn on in order for this amount of charge to be delivered. The current limitation is that it can only determine 4 "boost" slots. In your [example] for charging 7kWh into a vehicle, this wouldn't be a problem as it will charge at the 2 cheapest half hours, however when 10 half hour slots are required, the Zappi is only capable of picking 4 distinct slots. This might result in the Zappi charging between 12-12:30, 1-4, 4:30-5:30 and 6-6:30."

So it doesn't work. It needs manual intervention for every charge, AND you have to figure out manually how much juice you want, AND it only allows for 4 slots.

All that wasted opportunity, and it costs almost a grand. FFS.

Payback is a decade.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
how else would you expect it to work? The charger doesnt know how full the car is, and cannot know how much charge you might want tomorrow.

4 slots as a limitation doesnt bother me, i wouldn't really want it starting and stopping that much anyway.

That said, the OHME has similar featureset for much less money?

·
EV Convert
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how else would you expect it to work? The charger doesnt know how full the car is, and cannot know how much charge you might want tomorrow.

4 slots as a limitation doesnt bother me, i wouldn't really want it starting and stopping that much anyway.

That said, the OHME has similar featureset for much less money?
Well I'm not the designer. But as the car's state of charge is available via an API I'd have started there.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
There is another way to do it thats much easier using their Econo7 switch built into the device...

After working on a Rangey, this shouldnt be too much trouble ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts