Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone know if a Zappi can be configured to work with an existing immersion heater diverter (Solic 200)?

We have a 4kW solar array and a Solic 200 to divert spare electricity to the immersion heater. I think the Solic works by just monitoring the flow of electricity and detects when we're about to export to the grid. Assuming the Zappi works in the same way, can it be set up so the Zappi gets first dibs on any surplus electricity? This way, if we want hot water, don't plug a car in to charge; if we have or don't need hot water, then plug the car in and set the Zappi to Eco+ or Eco.

I'm thinking I'd like it to work as below:

I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
The Zappi and EDDI can be prioritised via the MyEnergi App but I am not sure how this would work with a Solic. I have a PW2 which normally charges first; however, this morning I noticed that the PW2 was at 75% SOC and my EDDI was taking all the surplus. There are times when I want the EDDI to take priority but normally this requires me to set the EDDI to boost.

After note. To use surplus for EV charging, the Zappi requires a minimum of 1.3kWs. My EDDI will take any watt it can get.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm guessing you need some element of hardware control to divert excess power to charge the car, heat water or charge batteries and that's what the MyEnergi kit gives you. I really like the look of the Zappi but if I can't choose to charge from solar (Eco+) then I may as well go for a cheaper smart charger as that will charge with excess solar too if I charge on a sunny day - it's just that I wouldn't be able to quantify it.

I think the Solic is the same as the EDDI, it will take every watt.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Hard to be 100% sure, but I think you may be able to do it with a second CT into the Zappi on the solar feed, and possibly a third CT on the Solic

You can set Zappi to prioritise over a battery, so should be able to do the same over the Solic.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Zappi will let you choose a ratio of sun to trigger it. Requires a minimum of 1.4kw to charge your car. If your solar isn’t enough to generate that (on top of your house consumption) you can adjust it in the settings eg 50% means it’ll wait until there is 700w excess solar and then draw the other 700w from the grid.

I think you can also set the priorities but that might require an eddi which is basically a diverter for your immersion or relay controllable equipment. You can set it so the charger takes priority and only hands off to the Eddi if the charger isn’t in use, or you can easily change them around in the app if you want to force the Eddi to heat your water

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
Although I have a zappi (priority) and an eddi I have noticed that when there is less than the 1.4kW being generated it will shunt all the surplus power to the grid and as such the eddi will kick in and take that power so I would assume your Solic would do the same. I have seen as little as 100w going to the immersion.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I've had a Solic 200 for 5 years, excellent bit of kit. But it's a really simple algorithm, if it sees more than about 40W going to the grid, it will offer that much to the Immersion tank, which itself may take up to 3kW usually. So there's no easy way to lower this priority, unless it's feasible to intercept the CT wiring and run that through a separate relay, which may be a way to deselect it. Haven';t thought about the electronics of doing that though.

As the solar panels power-up, the initial export from the house will go from -ve in the dark, to small positive, and at that point the Solic will jump in well before the Zappi sees the 1.4 kW it wants. So the Zappi isn't going to see >1.4kW of free power until the water's been heated up.

Tbh that's how I like it - the EV's mine, my wife prefers her petrol C1 (I know! Don't ask...), so I'd rather not have her complaining about no hot water! Everyone in the house benefits from that, baths/showers etc. So I'm very happy for the Solic to mop up the leftovers, and if I really do need the car urgently, then I'll set it charging regardless. I can always hit the boost button on the Solic for a quick 15 minute Immersion topup if I realise it's evening & the water's rather cool!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,876 Posts
Page 31 of the Eddi manual describes how you can have it take priority over third party diverters.

You'll need another CT clamp.

Or you could do it with the relay board.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had a Solic 200 for 5 years, excellent bit of kit. But it's a really simple algorithm, if it sees more than about 40W going to the grid, it will offer that much to the Immersion tank, which itself may take up to 3kW usually. So there's no easy way to lower this priority, unless it's feasible to intercept the CT wiring and run that through a separate relay, which may be a way to deselect it. Haven';t thought about the electronics of doing that though.

As the solar panels power-up, the initial export from the house will go from -ve in the dark, to small positive, and at that point the Solic will jump in well before the Zappi sees the 1.4 kW it wants. So the Zappi isn't going to see >1.4kW of free power until the water's been heated up.

Tbh that's how I like it - the EV's mine, my wife prefers her petrol C1 (I know! Don't ask...), so I'd rather not have her complaining about no hot water! Everyone in the house benefits from that, baths/showers etc. So I'm very happy for the Solic to mop up the leftovers, and if I really do need the car urgently, then I'll set it charging regardless. I can always hit the boost button on the Solic for a quick 15 minute Immersion topup if I realise it's evening & the water's rather cool!
Good to hear you've got the same set up I'm thinking of.

So the Zappi isn't going to see >1.4kW of free power until the water's been heated up.
So the Solic will take all excess power until the water is heated so the Zappi will never 'see' any spare even if that's over 1.4kW as the Solic will be using it? There's no chance that the Solic and the Zappi will both 'see' say 2kW of excess power?

Thinking about it, I guess if you have the Solic and the Zappi, both looking for excess power (potential export to grid) if the Zappi's looking for 1.4kW before it will charge and the Solic is looking for 40W, then the Solic will kick in first, use that excess power so the Zappi sees no excess power. This will continue (no matter what the excess) until the Solic stops diverting when the water gets hot. At this point, the Zappi will detect excess power and can then use that (depending on ECO+ or ECO setting).

Hopefully I've got that correct.

The set up you have makes sense - and I see what you mean that everyone at home benefits from hot water! 😀

Thanks for all the input and discussion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Sorry, I should add you can have the Zappi monitor third party diverted consumption as per the Eddi. Page 41 of the Zappi manual.
Ah right, thanks. That’s the final piece of the puzzle then. I thought maybe the App would interpret the Solic as just household load. If it can detect, monitor and display then that’s great.

Time to order my install I think! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
don't forget you can also set the threshold of the zappi lower so it doesn't wait for 1.4kw - but it'll always draw at least that. Thats the '%green' icon in the middle. If you set it to 50% it'll wait for 700w excess and take the rest from the grid. Can help with smaller arrays if you don't mind using a bit of daytime grid

But if you're on eg octopus where your nighttime is 1/3rd the price, you don't really want to go below 66% green (so eg 1kw solar, 400w grid) otherwise it'd be cheaper for you to just wait until offpeak

Reactions: mattdav
1 - 13 of 13 Posts