Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a distance limit for the Zappi to be able to communicate with the hub. I am having a Zappi installed in my detached garage and it is too far away from my router to get a Wifi signal.

So question is it best to locate the hub in the garage so it can communicate wirelessly with the Zappi and then run a long Ethernet cable to connect the hub to my router, or does the hub sit next to the Router and the hub connect with a long Ethernet cable to the Zappi.

My installer is running a dedicated power cable to the garage and offered to install a data cable too.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Better to run the data cable to the garage and have it available if needed. Wireless comms may be a particular problem in your particular installation/environment and you will only know if this is the case when you come to try it!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'd say have the hub next to your router - easier to keep an eye on it that way and spot any red lights, or initiate any firmware downloads.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'd say have the hub next to your router - easier to keep an eye on it that way and spot any red lights, or initiate any firmware downloads.
That’s fine if the wireless comms work reliably at that distance, but if not then it will need to locates in the garage.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I read it that he'd be running cat5 from the garage in any case, so if the hub was next to the router he'd be using zappi -> router <- hub all via ethernet. However I was assuming the hub would be happy communicating with the zappi 100% over ethernet, or does it have to be wireless?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I’ve got a Gen 1 Zappi, so cannot be 100% on all details of a Gen 2 model, but the MyEnergi specs suggest that the new model still uses the same hub with 868MHz wireless protocol for remote connectivity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts