Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is now on their web site, but the cable is BLACK! WTF? I thought that cables where suposed to be high visibilty! I've emailed them asking WHY?

I certainly won't be getting one from them - I can see the adverts and text messages "Did you trip over that charging cable? You may be entitled to £XXX compensation - call us now" :)

Now considering this one from Farnell. Might be made in China but at least the cable is orange...

http://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/dsi-dsi ... dp/2066624

Similar price from here too

http://www.ecarconnectors.com/categorie ... ors/32-amp

·
Registered
8,106 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think my edit crossed with your post! I'll take your advice and go for the 5M.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Just a point worth mentioning...

Whenever any of us buys any EVSE or charging cable don't forget to make sure it is CE approved and has the CE mark. Without that it is not legal in the EU.

Some of the Chinese sourced cables I know to be non-CE approved but they can sometimes claim that they are.

Ask and if in doubt, ask to see a copy of the CE approval certificate.

·
Premium Member
11,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Below is reply from ZCW - I'm not in the "glad it is black" camp...

Many thanks for your note. There are no national or international standards for EV charging cable colours. One or two London boroughs did require orange "curley" cables in the early days for street parking, but they soon stopped mandating that when they realised it would cost them £500 a time to supply them.

Our cable is currently going through approval by GM for use with the Ampera and Leaf. We also expect them to complete the Renault and Nissan approval programmes.

Most EV drivers we have spoken to like the idea that a black cable is more discrete and does not shout out to copper thieves "take me".

Incidentally, I would be very surprised if the ZCW is not made in China...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey everyone,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but I think I can help on a few points.

We are selling this cable to give buyers some choice - we believe we have made a low cost, high quality product which beats all of the competition on the market. But, of course, it is up to you if you wish to buy a cable from somewhere else.

Our cable is 5 metres, uses gen 2 ITT connectors which are considered by many to be the best in the industry and all profits we make from sales goes 100% back into creating a Charging Station network that you can use.

On a personal note, I would be wary of cables that come from China. I have had problems with the connectors on those cables (it took 5 minutes for it to make a proper connection with the car that lasted more than 10 seconds). But, this is a person choice and you are free to buy whatever product you believe best suits your needs.

Oh, and also:

proddick said:
Incidentally, I would be very surprised if the ZCW is not made in China...
Our cable is made by ITT who are based in the US.

Mark Chatterley

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
I have the ZCW cable and it is very high quality. ITT Cannon are extremely well known and regarded - they make connectors we use on satellite wiring harnesses, which obviously have to work flawlessly.

In practice I do not believe this is a hazard as people should have no need to walk between your car and post.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Hi Mark and thank you for joining the forum :)

Thanks for explaining about the ZCW charge cable. It does sound like a good quality product and value for money and as any profit is ploughed back into developing the Zero:Net charging network I think it is probably the best choice for us right now.

Are the cables in stock right now if people want to buy today?

·
Premium Member
11,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mark - you chose your words very carefully there. Can you confirm that the cable is assembled in USA as that may sway my color (sic) stance.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I am still not clear David, sorry...

Just to clear things up for me... do you mean that the parts are manufactured in the USA or that the cable is made up in the USA (that is has the plugs attached)?

Also, is it CE approved and if so how would we know?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Mark, you couldn't clear up the query I had about where they are assembled and the CE certified please? Ta :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Paul Churchley said:
Mark, you couldn't clear up the query I had about where they are assembled and the CE certified please? Ta :)
No worries. The cables are assembled and CE certified by ITT in the US and then shipped to us.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Mark has recorded a video to show us all what the ZCW Type1/2 cable is like. It also shows one of the typical alternatives for comparison:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Will the ZCW Type 2, 32amp five metre charging cable stow within the recess left in the Ampera when the portable charger, as supplied with the car, is removed, allowing the cable to be hidden from view and leaving the boot empty :?:

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Not having one I can't say for certain but my guess is yes. The bulky parts are the plugs and the Vauxhall cable has a type1 plug already and that stows fine. I think there should be enough room to easily store the type2 plug also... perhaps someone with a type1/2 cable can confirm... or wait a week and I should have mine by then!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thank you Paul for your reply, It would be good to know if the cable sits in the boot recess, thanks.
Looking at the video it appears to be more flexible and smaller than the GM one (GM version will not fit in the recess)
If not, maybe the bag between the two rear seats might have a use afterall ;)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
LOL! Yes, I am trying to work out what I can use that pouch between the rear seats for. It is too small for the supplied EVSE cable so yes, perhaps it might hold the Type1/2 cable.

I have my cable on order so I should know once it arrives next week. As usual I'll take photos :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts