Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe, ZE40 Q90
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my ZE 40 Zoe (Quick Charge) for a few weeks now and I've been charging at a couple of different locations without issue.
Today I noticed a Tesla wall charger at work with a type 2 connection - so I thought "happy days!"
I plugged in and noticed the dash was flashing red whilst communicating with wall box (as opposed to the normal blue), I didn't think much of it as it started to charge (I was down to around 50% charge & remaining time was about 1hr 50mins).
I went back to the car a little later to check on progress and the charge had stopped, dash was blank and the wall point had red light on?
I've now plugged into an adjacent 7kw PodPoint which shows just over 3 hrs remaining.

So questions are -
Is red flashing dash normal?
Could I need an app/authority to use the Tesla wall mount?

Cheers

·
Registered
17,418 Posts
Yes, as per the signage (usually) one Tesla charger will work with all-comers and the rest will only work with Teslas.

You’re welcome. ;)

·
Zoe Devotee
9,197 Posts
Tesla do 2 flavours of the wall box (well its really just a switch inside), they put a red sign above the Tesla only ones, the switch is flipped inside to stop plebs using them. And the white signed ones available to everyone.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe, ZE40 Q90
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, as per the signage (usually) one Tesla charger will work with all-comers and the rest will only work with Teslas.

You’re welcome. ;)
Tried both Tesla chargers at work (private office and not general public) - same result
I have seen other EV's plugged into them in the past - BMW's & Golf's??

·
Registered
17,418 Posts
Tried both Tesla chargers at work (private office and not general public) - same result
The Zoe can also be picky about things like earthing. So if this is a private Tesla Wall Charger installation maybe get an engineer to check it.

I have a Tesla wall charger at home and it’s worked fine with both my ZE40 and now ZE50. :)

·
Registered
17,418 Posts
Tesla do 2 flavours of the wall box (well its really just a switch inside), they put a red sign above the Tesla only ones, the switch is flipped inside to stop plebs using them.
This was the theory, subsequently proven false.

I tried both settings on the ‘special switch’ and it made no difference. I think it’s just a redundant switch.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe, ZE40 Q90
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That could be the issue - my engineers at work fitted it! 🤣🤣

1 - 7 of 7 Posts