Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Over the last few days I have had problems starting a charge on the Pulse Ultra 50kw Rapid using AC43
When I go to start a charge with my polar card it gets to the screen
Please connect vehicle but it never gets to the main charging screen ( Dash shows car charging ) and then 30 seconds later shows a red X
With service Code 0 ( Vehicle Not Detected )
When I ring up and the Rapid is reset remotely then works ok.
This happened at 2 chargers in Grimsby DN34 5AD & DN32 9RT
Did the same thing at the one in Glossop, SK13 8AF
But this time i could not ring bp chargmaster as the mobile network that I used in this area had no signal ( EE)
Plus pressing the red button does not work only a remote reset works.

I usually never have a problem could it be the new software they installed last year ?

Same Photo below ( Zapmap ) was taken by another AC user on the rapid in Glossop a month ago

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Zoe and Polar rapids have never really got along

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
552 Posts
I've tried three or four Polars and no problems on ZE40 R110, although mine only charges at 22 Kwh not 44Kwh like yours.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT Line with CCS
118 Posts
@dparr59 im afraid you are not alone. We have a local Pulse unit being operated by Chargeplace Scotland in Barrhead. This year it have done the exact same thing with my Q90 four times. It used to not charge it at all if the SOC was below 35% but now it starts and stops immediately regardless. Seems to work OK on my ZE50 with CCS most of the time. And I have 22kwh Zoes on it with no problem.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Over the last few days I have had problems starting a charge on the Pulse Ultra 50kw Rapid using AC43
Yup. Same thing happened to me the other day. I used a brand new point and got same problem. Drove on to another regular point I use - same problem again. At this point started panicking a fault with the car. Left it 24 hrs tried original point again - failed. So phoned BP got them to reset the point and worked immediately. I'm suspicious it's a firmware bug with the charge point, because never used to have any problems before. There have clearly been lots of updates to the pumps recently adding PAYG and rebranding. Could be a small glitch that has been added?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yup. Same thing happened to me the other day. I used a brand new point and got same problem. Drove on to another regular point I use - same problem again. At this point started panicking a fault with the car. Left it 24 hrs tried original point again - failed. So phoned BP got them to reset the point and worked immediately. I'm suspicious it's a firmware bug with the charge point, because never used to have any problems before. There have clearly been lots of updates to the pumps recently adding PAYG and rebranding. Could be a small glitch that has been added?
Yes thats what i think too it always works ok after a remote reset , So far i have not been back to the same charger that has had a remote reset
to see if i need to remote set it every time. ( That might be worth trying to see what happens )

I used a polar card did you ?

I emailed bp pulse about it and got this reply below :

Hi
We haven't had any other reports that the Renault Zoe is incompatible with the AC connector on our 50 kw/h chargers. Have you attempted to use a 150 KW unit (if you have any ultrachargers near you) with same results?

Many thanks,

I replied that the150 KW units dont have AC on them and that reply did not fill me with hope , that they did not know even know that AC was not on the 150 KW units :mad:

Is bp pulse the new ecotricity for the AC Renault Zoe i hope not

·
Registered
713 Posts
They probably don’t care about rapid AC as it’s really a legacy standard now anyway, most new charge points will stop supporting it

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yes thats what i think too it always works ok after a remote reset , So far i have not been back to the same charger that has had a remote reset
to see if i need to remote set it every time. ( That might be worth trying to see what happens )

I used a polar card did you ?
Yes. Used a card. I have been back to the point concerned since and it was still fine. It almost smacked to me that the software had lost control with the AC Comms module in the charge point. If only I knew an engineer at BP Pulse who you could have a proper conversation with, I'm sure the problem could be flushed out very quickly.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yes. Used a card. I have been back to the point concerned since and it was still fine. It almost smacked to me that the software had lost control with the AC Comms module in the charge point. If only I knew an engineer at BP Pulse who you could have a proper conversation with, I'm sure the problem could be flushed out very quickly.
Used 50 kw polar charger yesterday that I not been at for a while and the same problem its get to the Please connect vehicle screen and fails,
I rang polar they reset the charger and all is good.

After the Please connect vehicle screen it should show the Safety check screen and if ok its then shows the charging info screen
So if it stays on the Please connect vehicle the charge will fail.

I stopped the charge than unplugged and then restarted a new 2nd charge and it still worked ok.

I hope I that when they do a remote reset the charger gets also gets a small permanent update and the problem is fixed.
And not that after someone uses the DC connection again it needs another remote reset again to use AC again every time.

just sent another email to bp pulse again

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tried the pickering ( North Yorkshire ) Rapid all good on Monday (y)
Tried the Holiday Inn Express York ( North Yorkshire ) on Tuesday and i had to ring up to have it reset, (n)
when i asked the customer service when it was last remotely the reply was 2nd March 2021

And i have just had another update email from bp pulse today ( 28th April 2021 )

Hi David,
That is a strange one, there was another software update a couple of days ago, I would advise to try the AC's again now and see if it has made any difference.
Many thanks,

·
Registered
118 Posts
Interesting, I'll give my local one in Barrhead a go tomorrow. I'll drop it below 30% just to make sure it works.

If it does then a good as it is, it makes you wonder how wonky all these charging software protocols are. CCS always seemed to be the inconsistent one in the early days, but AC 43kw...not so much

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting, I'll give my local one in Barrhead a go tomorrow. I'll drop it below 30% just to make sure it works.

If it does then a good as it is, it makes you wonder how wonky all these charging software protocols are. CCS always seemed to be the inconsistent one in the early days, but AC 43kw...not so much
When i used the Pickering ( YO18 7AL ) i was about 32% - 34% i did call there on the way to whitby but there was a Ipace using it.
When i used the Holiday Express ( YO32 9TE ) i was on over 56 % i just stopped to see what would happen and no one waiting to use it

·
Registered
118 Posts
@dparr59 I tested it early this morning after hammering around to get the SOC down to below 30% and the battery warmed up a bit. Hooke it up the ChargePlace Scotland BP Pulse/Polar unit and it worked perfectly first time. No errors or resets occurred. Take me a few minutes to get CanZE connected but as you can see it was fine. And the cooling fans still didn't come on. Please note the predicted energy capacity (available + energy to full) jumping from 34.5 kWh to 37.4 kWh with only a 11c change in battery temperature.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Saturday 1st May 2021 Used the same charger i had a problem on last week ( Doncaster ) and had the same problem ( I did not bother to ring up for a remote reset ) the SOC was high at 68%
Then today Sunday 2nd May 2021 I tried two different 50kw Ultra Polar Rapids ( Leeds ) one when i was at 44% and ( Rothwell ) one at 58% both worked without a remote reset (y)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I tried the Holiday Inn Hull polar Ultra Rapid had the same problem so called bp chargemaster for a remote reset then charged up ok
I did notice on this charger that it after i tapped my polar plus card it showed my full name ( Welcome David Parr )
I Stopped to try another Polar Ultra Rapid ( Howden ) and it worked 1st time but the Welcome screen after i tapped my polar plus card it just showed ( Welcome )
i wonder if these rapids each running different software on them ?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I tried the Holiday Inn Hull polar Ultra Rapid had the same problem so called bp chargemaster for a remote reset then charged up ok
I did notice on this charger that it after i tapped my polar plus card it showed my full name ( Welcome David Parr )
I Stopped to try another Polar Ultra Rapid ( Howden ) and it worked 1st time but the Welcome screen after i tapped my polar plus card it just showed ( Welcome )
i wonder if these rapids each running different software on them ?
Interesting one, it always shows me my Welcome back my full name message. I did, albeit 18 months ago, have problems with machines that just said said nothing after presenting my Polar RFID card and required me to phone them up to stop the session as I did not want to hit the red button.

Having stopped at Lancaster Park & Ride briefly on Sunday I was depressed to see only 2 of the 6 rapids working. A Leaf arrived and, after 10 mins on the phone, they managed to get the charger working on CHADEMO. Regardless of software/firmware, these chargers should not be requiring this amount of input from a driver. We are paying customers.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I am calling up at DSG morecambe in a few weeks for a MOT & service and was i was going to stop at the Lancaster Park & Ride
So i might try the ecotricity rapid on the motorway before i get to Lancaster or maybe use the 22kw Charger at the lidl in Lancaster just in case.
DSG are always more than happy to charge the car , but making sure its nearly full when i get there saves time for the return 105 mile trip back home.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts