Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

how well does ZE50 heating work? target 20C internal, no preheat.

• good 5-10C outside

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • middling 5-10C outside

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • poor 5-10C outside

• good 0-5C outside

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • middling 0-5C outside

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • poor 0-5C outside

• good -5 to 0C outside

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • middling -5 to 0C outside

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • poor -5 to 0C outside

• good screen clearing

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • middling screen clearing

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • poor screen clearing

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ZE50 owners
thinking of switching from a golf GTE to a GT line R135. On the golf GTE, the heating is frankly rubbish in electric mode. Its great in hybrid mode - as you'd expect with an ICE running. I am well aware of preheat, that is not my primary question. I am also well aware of the availability of heated seats and steering wheels. Neither is the question about effect on range. And please no "just wear a coat" comments. so:

How quickly can it warm the car to 20C when you get into it having not preheated ? (the answer for the GTE by the way, in Electric-only mode, is "never").
Our scenario: Left in the work car park all day, variable departure time so can't use cars timer , no mobile access so can't use app to ping the car for a preheat just before leaving.

Does it make a difference if you are driving it or sit in it waiting?
any difference in behaviour between december-ish (5C, damp and miserable) and february-ish (-1C, hard frost but clear) british weather?
how quickly does it clear the screen to the point of safe to drive (assume totally fogged over on a rainy miserable day)?
can it comfortably maintain 20C on a 30 minute 20 mile run?

I've read various stuff about the car having both heat pump and resistive heaters but struggling to find a definitive explanation of what it does when.
my wife has been the main user of the GTE for the last 4 years and in order to save fossil sea creatures she's made every effort to only use EV mode - which has meant wearing 4 layers plus a coat and hat in the car - and she is fed up with that now. We want a car that's comfortable in shirt and jumper maximum, regardless of the weather.

or please vote on the poll.

ta
Ian

·
Registered
Renault Zoé ZE50 R135 Intens
105 Posts
I've only used the HVAC heat once or twice and worked just fine.

The heated seats have two settings, "Fire of a Thousand Suns" and "Fire of Two Suns". I think I'm going to find myself toggling it on/off every 10-20 minutes on longer drives. The steering wheel only has one setting, which I find fairly comfortable if not a bit warm. Winter is coming, we shall see (relatively cold climate at home in Geneva, to "cold as f***" when I'm up in the mountains in January).

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens Q210 22kw 2013
660 Posts
I can only say that in my ZE20 (have not got a 50 ) that there are 1800w of electrical PTC heaters for the cabin (along with the heat pump system) they are underneath near the centre console , and in fact you can see the heavy red cable going to them when long console around handbrake is removed - they are there to supplement the heat pump system and will only come on when needed (I think in winter if you put all the way to maximum hot (or near to it) that's when they kick in (you can hear relay behind glove compartment box and underneath near the centre console , there are some relays there too.

Eco button when turned on will affect the heating greatly (not sure but maybe cut down the PTC heaters as well to a lower wattage)

on my Zoe in the winter I adjusted the 'Country Config' from a 'mild' country to a colder country and I think that made the heater more effective personally.

Rectangle Yellow Font Slope Parallel

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Don't get too excited, it doesn't work on a ZE50! regards heating, my recollection is that the older zoes were not very good. The new one just seems like a normal car in every respect, in that nothing seems to jump out as you as not working - including the heating. @donald for some reason thinks the AC doesn't work when heating, and his windscreen misted up - we've only experienced this scenario once, but it seemed to work for us - a bit of misting true, but point the fan at the windscreen and it soon cleared. Our biggest problem is trying to make the best of the infotainment system !!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Don't get too excited, it doesn't work on a ZE50!
Yeah , apparently looks like the ZE50 is gateway protected or firewalled from people adjusting parameters with DDT4ALL by all accounts, apparently you can read the settings but not set them - some workaround apparently , shame I havent got a ZE50 to try it out myself LOL

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,032 Posts
.... @donald for some reason thinks the AC doesn't work when heating
... errr.. that'll be because Renault insist that is how it is designed (after initially denying it but being proven wrong).

You cannot have the heat and AC operating at the same time.

Whether some models can switch rapidly between AC/heat and give an impression they are both on is a different matter, but you cannot have continuous heat and AC on any models of Zoe. Confirmed. Solid. No doubt.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 Intens R135
26 Posts
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

Here is a screenshot from my commute last night. 7C outside temperature and raining pretty hard.
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
158 Posts
... errr.. that'll be because Renault insist that is how it is designed (after initially denying it but being proven wrong).

You cannot have the heat and AC operating at the same time.

Whether some models can switch rapidly between AC/heat and give an impression they are both on is a different matter, but you cannot have continuous heat and AC on any models of Zoe. Confirmed. Solid. No doubt.
Or rather is DOES work for those who do not blind buy the bottom of the range car with no options and the wonder why something they do not have does not work ...

To the OP - don't remember it being cold enough for me to test the car at below 0 degrees, but last winter my car would get toasty.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,073 Posts
oh right - in the wifes clio mk4 when the light is on then the AC is on, and in my ZE20 when the light is on the AC is off ... wish they would make their mind up!
Have you checked what it does when you’re not looking at it? ;)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Have you checked what it does when you’re not looking at it? ;)
i noticed on the zoe (my 20) that if you leave the AC on even in the winter a bit of icy cold air will come out of vents from time to time andyour like "bloody hell I need heat!" but then i suppose its regulating the temperature inside the cabin between heat a cool air to maintain the temperature you have set when it does that

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Might be some confusion by what is meant by "AC".

A heat pump is just a reversible heating or cooling device, depending on the relative position of the expansion valve to the condenser and evaporator, and the condenser and evaporator can be interchanged, so they swap roles, depending on whether heating or cooling is selected.

What a single heat pump cannot do is air conditioning, in the sense of dehumidifying cabin air, at the same time as heating the cabin air. The reason should be fairly obvious, in that there is only one component that can either be heating the cabin air (if it's acting as a condenser) or cooling the cabin air (if it's acting as an evaporator).

ICE vehicles can use engine waste heat to heat one cabin radiator, whilst using an air conditioning system evaporator ahead of that to dehumidify the air using the separate aircon evaporator. Useful for demisting quickly, as the dry air has lost most of its water vapour, so there little to condense out on the cold glass.

In the Zoe (and every other heat pump EV that doesn't also have a secondary heating system) the cabin air can be either heated or cooled by the same heat pump, but it can't do both at the same time. This is exactly the same as our home air-to-air aircon system. If it's in heating mode it cannot dehumidify the air at all, if it's in cooling mode it can, but it cannot be in both modes at the same time.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Might be some confusion by what is meant by "AC".

A heat pump is just a reversible heating or cooling device, depending on the relative position of the expansion valve to the condenser and evaporator, and the condenser and evaporator can be interchanged, so they swap roles, depending on whether heating or cooling is selected.

What a single heat pump cannot do is air conditioning, in the sense of dehumidifying cabin air, at the same time as heating the cabin air. The reason should be fairly obvious, in that there is only one component that can either be heating the cabin air (if it's acting as a condenser) or cooling the cabin air (if it's acting as an evaporator).

ICE vehicles can use engine waste heat to heat one cabin radiator, whilst using an air conditioning system evaporator ahead of that to dehumidify the air using the separate aircon evaporator. Useful for demisting quickly, as the dry air has lost most of its water vapour, so there little to condense out on the cold glass.

In the Zoe (and every other heat pump EV that doesn't also have a secondary heating system) the cabin air can be either heated or cooled by the same heat pump, but it can't do both at the same time. This is exactly the same as our home air-to-air aircon system. If it's in heating mode it cannot dehumidify the air at all, if it's in cooling mode it can, but it cannot be in both modes at the same time.
so in winter and its cold weather there is absolutely no use in keeping the AC on in the Zoe? - you might as well turn it off (LED ON in ZE20 / 40)? or just leave it on (LED OFF) and it will turn off the AC automatically (as indicated on the r-link screen)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,032 Posts
Or rather is DOES work for those who do not blind buy the bottom of the range car with no options and the wonder why something they do not have does not work ...
No, whatever model, AC/heat will not operate continuously together.

'Blind buy' eh? Not sure what that means. I ordered a car according to the brochure information and it didn't work like it was advertised.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts