Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Do you drive e withe your ZE voice on or off?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Just a thought, if you were unfortunate to knock someone over and had the 'voice' off, would there be a case for it forming part of the claim against you???

·
Registered
631 Posts
Just a thought, if you were unfortunate to knock someone over and had the 'voice' off, would there be a case for it forming part of the claim against you???
Given the litigious society we live in, I'd not be at all surprised.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I don't believe that it is currently law that EV's need to have a pedestrian warning noise. There was talk of the EU commission drafting a law though. Other silent road users such as bicycles don't have to have a warning noise. All cars are equipped with a horn to alert other road users. The highway code says you can't use it between 11pm and 7am in built up areas though and that it is only to be used as a warning signal when needed. E.g. a taxi shouldn't use it to signal that they are waiting outside! Are you permitted to have the ZE voice on at night? I think it would be tough if you were sued for not having something on that you don't have to. That doesn't mean that someone wouldn't try though. The Prius is almost silent in electric mode so it must have come up before.

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
The only time an EV makes no noice is when it is stationary, most modern exec cars are designed to be as quiet as possible and at car park speeds are the same as an EV in that the only noice you can hear is the tyres on the road.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Doh! I thought you meant the voice for the satnav. Interesting to learn that the Zoe has a choice of 'voices'. How do I find them?

·
Registered
344 Posts
While finding a space in Asda carpark a lady walked straight out in front of me and with terror on her face i'm sure it was a brown trouser incident so not sure that the horn works with humans but found it works fine with dogs though:eek::mad:

·
Registered
916 Posts
I replied "On",but I don't always leave it on...
The "Voice" only comes on in motion up to 18Mph ,so hopefully you wouldn't be accelerating or decelerating hard at the time...I'm still assessing how noticeable it is amid regular traffic noise..It's definitely noticeable on a quiet street in town with no other traffic...

·
Banned
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In front of your right knee when driving. It's with the headlamp adjuster, dash brightness and cable flap release.

·
Registered
916 Posts
The voice switch?! o_O Where will I find that?
On the Zoe Intens,there's a small panel of switches on the lower right side of the dash near where your right knee would be..the right side rocker switch opens the charge port,the left toggles the "voice" on/off..It has an LED that lights when deactivated.the Voice goes active again when you switch off and leave the car,reactivating on the next trip. 2 rotary switches control headlamp levelling and the dashboard light dimming function.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts