Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe, ZE40 Q90
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had my ZE40 Zoe for about a month, I find the brakes/braking very odd.
There seems to be zero feel to the brakes (I'm not sure if this is due to regen?).
It is as if the brakes aren't working correctly (not ideal when approaching a junction!), so you have to press harder, then they seem to bite and you end up approaching the windscreen at a rapid rate!
Doesn't make for a smooth ride.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,840 Posts
The first half of the travel engages more regen. (You can see it on the dash).

The second half of the travel engages the friction brakes.

Once you know this then it’s much easier to drive smoothly.

(But who’s using brakes in a Zoe anyway?) ;)

·
Zoe Devotee
9,264 Posts
And if your fully charged you'll get very little regen so you learn to modulate the foot on the pedal pretty quick or you get what you described... no brakes and then up against the windscreen.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,469 Posts
Shameless Self Plug: The Zoe braking system and Interesting question about the Torque bar Hope that helps with the nifty details.

Personally I find the braking action (working the pedal, which indeed I try to avoid) extremely smooth. Notable exception is the cutover at about 5 mph. The confusing part is more the "standard" rolling out deceleration. Reason is there is by definition no friction braking and thus it depends on if the battery is able to take the power. If completely full / cold mornings, it isn't.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I find the cutover tricky when I get back in the ZOE after driving our PHEV. For the first few miles everyone in the car is a bit like a nodding dog as the car approaches walking pace. It gets better after a few miles, but it's a bit of a learning curve every time...

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
Renault Zoe, ZE40 Q90
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I find the cutover tricky when I get back in the ZOE after driving our PHEV. For the first few miles everyone in the car is a bit like a nodding dog as the car approaches walking pace. It gets better after a few miles, but it's a bit of a learning curve every time...
Yep - that's me all the time! 🤣🤣

1 - 6 of 6 Posts