Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a charge with the windows open and then it started raining so I wanted to close the windows but the car had been off for a while and I couldn't close them. I tried the Start only button but that doesn't enable the windows to be closed. The only thing that worked was Start+Brake but that stops the charging. Any thoughts? TIA

·
Registered
Zoe R110
430 Posts
I think the card in the slot enables the windows, or was that just the heating? I would go check but the wife has just gone out in the car.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the card in the slot enables the windows, or was that just the heating? I would go check but the wife has just gone out in the car.
You win the prize! Although I wasn't charging, without the car being started the windows won't work but put the card in the slot and they do. Tadaaa! Many thanks.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens Q210 22kw 2013
602 Posts
Yep that's it, card in the slot will allow windows to be done up and not stop the charging. Will turn blower on as well if you wanted it too but no heat or chilled air when charging.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep that's it, card in the slot will allow windows to be done up and not stop the charging. Will turn blower on as well if you wanted it too but no heat or chilled air when charging.
One thing I noticed this morning when charging, the air temperature was 15C but the fan was blowing air that was a lot warmer than that but I couldn't make it any hotter by turning up the temperature control. Could it be using the waste heat from the coolant circuit?

·
Registered
602 Posts
One thing I noticed this morning when charging, the air temperature was 15C but the fan was blowing air that was a lot warmer than that but I couldn't make it any hotter by turning up the temperature control. Could it be using the waste heat from the coolant circuit?
I haven't heard of it working in that way myself . Must have been just ambient temperature air it was blowing out no?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,284 Posts
No. How discharged was the Zoe? Below 40%? Under that % the heater won't work. it'll just blow air, if its still warm from you using the heater when you stopped it'll feel warm but only until its cooled having the fan blowing. When over that charge level the heater can be used again. Great feature when you and your family are freezing your ass off in winter and have rocked up to a rapid at 10%

·
Registered
602 Posts
on the 22kw & ZE40 anyway you cannot have heat or cold aircon when charging ..... well OK thats not entirely true , there is a workaround as your sitting inside the car with it charging press the precon button on the keypad and the door lock button on the keycard, you will hear the aircon pump kick in and big loud fan noises and for about 10mins it will either heat the car up to around 20'c if the inside temp is under 20'c and cool to 20'c if the inside of the car is over 20'C - when it stops after 10 mins you can normally initiate it for another 10 mins and so on (possibly about 2 or 3 times) , but this precon trick might not work if the battery percentage is under 45% (cant remember if it does or not, try it)

If you just turn the fan blower on in the car whilst the car is charging you will just get ambient air (so if its freezing cold outside the vents will just blow out cold air from outside into the car, if its warm / hot outside then it will just blow warm or hot air into the car --- the reason? because the Aircon/Heatpump compressor isnt working when on charge, it works with the car in a 'Ready' state ... but you cannot put it into a ready state because you have the Type 2 cable plugged in and charging , its a fail safe thing. Say if you had the car plugged into the charger by type2 cable at the front of the car and in a brain fart decision you put the car into 'ready' and reversed the car? :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I haven't heard of it working in that way myself . Must have been just ambient temperature air it was blowing out no?
It was noticeably warmer than the outside air temperature but definitely not the heater working. It was on a 22kW charger and the battery was about 30%. I can only think that the vent air was taken after the electronics cooling radiator.

That seems very clever and thought out but maybe that would also be the case when the outside temperature is very high and the vented air would be even hotter. I will try it on a hotter day if we have any left. I'll update if that happens.

Regarding the comment about reversing with the cable plugged in (if that was possible) I wonder which part would act as the 'mechanical fuse?' The car's charging port, the cable or the charging post :eek:

·
Registered
602 Posts
... Regarding the comment about reversing with the cable plugged in (if that was possible) I wonder which part would act as the 'mechanical fuse?' The car's charging port, the cable or the charging post :eek:
I think all it would do is just break off the locking pins for the type 2 plug (either car end or post end) , wouldn't blow a fuse, nothing would short out. The type 2 plug (or rather socket) have very weak pins locking the plug in , even heard of people breaking the pins whilst being heavy handed and pulling on the plug too hard while pins still locking in the plug on the car. Plus the socket on the car is a clever design of pins in it with a shorter (signal) pin that as soon as plug removed , even if plug half in half out, it disconnects the high voltage (240v ac or 400vAC in the case of 3 phase) immediately with no bangs or sparks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A bit more information about the temperature of the air that is blown when charging. I did a charge from 31% on a 22kW charger (still waiting for the DNO to contact me regarding my own charger). Using a meter with a thermocouple the outside air temperature was 17C and the temperature of the air coming out of the centre console was 20C. I did this measurement several times and it was consistently 17 and 20. Not as warm as it felt but still a difference. The temperature control didn't have any effect. The charger was delivering 18kW at the time. The car had been on charge for an hour (so the battery was 85% by this point)

I probably need to do another measurement before the car starts charging but I need to drive it to the charge point which is going to change the car's internal temperature. Maybe the next measurement should on my 7kW charger which should only produce a 1C or unmeasurable change.

·
Registered
602 Posts
A bit more information about the temperature of the air that is blown when charging. I did a charge from 31% on a 22kW charger (still waiting for the DNO to contact me regarding my own charger). Using a meter with a thermocouple the outside air temperature was 17C and the temperature of the air coming out of the centre console was 20C. I did this measurement several times and it was consistently 17 and 20. Not as warm as it felt but still a difference. The temperature control didn't have any effect. The charger was delivering 18kW at the time. The car had been on charge for an hour (so the battery was 85% by this point)

I probably need to do another measurement before the car starts charging but I need to drive it to the charge point which is going to change the car's internal temperature. Maybe the next measurement should on my 7kW charger which should only produce a 1C or unmeasurable change.
strange - so all you did was put the blower fan on whilst the car was on charge yep? - not selected precon by the precon button on the keycard remote?

·
Registered
602 Posts
It was just the blower fan on the 2 setting. No precon.
o right strange - there are PTC electrical heaters behind the dash in the Zoe's, but again they only come on to supplement the heat pump in the very cold winter to help warm up the inside of the car .. and certainly shouldn't come on when type 2 charging anyway (unless remote precon in freezing weather)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is strange because the cabin air intake is definitely by the wiper blades which only leaves the cabin heater as a source? I must admit the HVAC plumbing is complex to say the least. Who knows where that goes and what it does.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts