Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just sent me a picture of one of the tyres on our ZE40:

So it looks like we'll need a new one (what even happened there? I've never seen anything like it...). The tyres weren't exactly brand new when we bought the car last summer, so it is probably a good time to get a full new set. I'm a novice when it comes to tyres though - I remember reading somewhere that EVs need "special" tyres due to their weight - do I need to go for something with an XL rating like the Dynamos below? Or is that a load of rubbish and I'd be fine with a more premium standard tyre like the Goodyears?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Related question - is that tyre safe to drive on (ideally I'd take that car to work tomorrow [11 mile commute], then drive it the the tyre place in the afternoon [another 10 miles or so]...)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Not sure I'd risk driving it like that... I'm still running on mainly original Michelin Primacy 4s but I've mainly seen people referring to Michelin Cross Climates as a replacement.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure I'd risk driving it like that... I'm still running on mainly original Michelin Primacy 4s but I've mainly seen people referring to Michelin Cross Climates as a replacement.
Michelin Primacy 4 is not a reinforced tyre, right? Or is it a reinforced version of the Primacy 4?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Uh, sorry, just checked and I'm on Primacy 3s - it says Extra Load on the tyre, they are 205/45R17

·
Zoe Devotee
9,272 Posts
Don't drive on that tyre. It may blow out at any time.

Why not just buy decent tyres rather than going for the cheapest? Cross Climates are well regarded. I used Dunlop Blueresponce on my Zoe for 2 sets and they were great, way better than the energy EV ones.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why not just buy decent tyres rather than going for the cheapest?
To be fair, the only reason I asked about the cheapest tyres is because those were the only ones on that list that had "XL" (as I said, I'm a novice when it comes to tyres!). I ended up going for the Michelin CrossClimate+ tyres at £99.98 each. Car is in the drive, and won't be moved until Halfords' mobile fitting team come to fit the new ones.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
Don't drive on that tyre. It may blow out at any time.
Seconded. This type of failure is one of the many that you can't cure with a a pump and goo. Somebody likely has tapped a curb, maybe a previous owner.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had four Cross Climates fitted to Zoe last August. Excellent performance and not noticed any range loss over original tyres.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've just had some more CCs fitted to the ZOE as the worn suspension had worn one to the legal limit on the inside of the tyre. The rest of the tread was over 3mm after 30k miles. Look at the load rating on your existing tyres - on ours it's 91 which means it's reinforced and we just bought the same...

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,432 Posts
I had Michelin CrossClimate+ on the front for over 18 months : very good (y)
Now have some Michelin Primacy 4 on the Front and find the car handle's slighty better (y)
You can fit cheaper tyres but just make sure they are XL , Extra Load or Reinforced ( 91 )

Michelin do a budget tyre under the name Riken and cost about £48 each delivered from Cheap Tyres UK - Mail Order Tyres Online | CTyres.co.uk

·
Registered
3 Posts
A few weeks ago I replaced the front from-the-factory Primacy 3 tyres on my ZE40 with Primacy 4s as I noticed they were getting scrubbed on the outside of the tread - tracking was off. Once the tyres and tracking were sorted, road noise was a heck of a lot quieter!

And, of, course, fate being what it is - I had to replace a rear tyre on Thursday because it picked up an unrepairable screw in the sidewall 😡. Again, I fitted a Primacy 4.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts