Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
On a contract hire you can ask for a price at the end but the lease company doesn't have to give you one. It will generally be based on current market value as opposed to a figure set at the start as per PCP
Yes, the market will look considerably different in 24 months time. 40kWh batteries will look very old hat, but the Rapid infrastructure will be vastly improved. A £15k value suggested by @Metcast may be very attractive and 'beat the depreciation' if we had been cash buyers.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Yes, the market will look considerably different in 24 months time.
Will it though? I flip flop on this as we said it 2 years ago. Yet a new Zoe costs far more to "own" over 3 years on a PCP than it did this time in 2018. Also, we probably won't see the sub £30K ID3 deliveries until mid-2021 and the spec looks quite basic.

My biggest hope is that we do see better infrastructure. There are signs, such as Lancaster hub, etc. but the recent IONITY PAYG pricing isn't a good direction.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Yes, the market will look considerably different in 24 months time.
Will it though? I flip flop on this as we said it 2 years ago. Yet a new Zoe costs far more to "own" over 3 years on a PCP than it did this time in 2018. Also, we probably won't see the sub £30K ID3 deliveries until mid-2021 and the spec looks quite basic.

My biggest hope is that we do see better infrastructure. There are signs, such as Lancaster hub, etc. but the recent IONITY PAYG pricing isn't a good direction.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You can prove that for individual cases, but it would be impossible to prove in the general case. If you have some sort of evidence that this is ALWAYS true then feel free.

I have laid out the arithmetic. Unless the Zoe is still worth £19,500 at 30k miles and 2 years old, then what you have put there is proven false in regards ALL cases.

This is the case with the i Play I am looking at leasing from @Badger in Black . IF I were to contemplate buying it after 2 years, and IF RCI were to offer it to me for sale, then any price they set below £19k would mean it had been cheaper for me to lease than to have bought outright. It's just plain maths that your intuition is failing to see.

If, in that scenario, RCI were to offer it to me for £12k (I mean, who will want a basic i Play with no options and no CCS?) then I will have saved £7,000 versus buying it new at the best market price today. Compared with list price it is ridiculous. I would have paid a total of £18k for a listed price of £26k, and I would also have kept that £26k for putting into a low interest 2 year bond, say 2%, another £1k. I'd be £9,000 better off than buying outright at list price!!!

You're calculating with RPP pricing. Now calculate with the price you can actually buy them for and see the difference.
I bought my 41kwh battery owned zoe for less than 19k and some bought it for just over 16k in 2016.
I could sell my 1 year old zoe for about the same I paid for it, maybe 1k less. Wanna se é you getting one on a lease for 1k a year

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,367 Posts
You're calculating with RPP pricing. Now calculate with the price you can actually buy them for and see the difference.
I bought my 41kwh battery owned zoe for less than 19k and some bought it for just over 16k in 2016.
I could sell my 1 year old zoe for about the same I paid for it, maybe 1k less. Wanna se é you getting one on a lease for 1k a year
And? I said that myself. I was offered likewise. Now the cheapest offered i Play is ~£22,500.

The issue is that blip where Zoes were offered for around £17k. It was anomalous. If you find a dealer today that will offer you a new i Play for £17k then do let me know. I am a generous guy, I will offer a commission to find such a dealer.

In the meantime, what happened a couple of years ago has nothing to do with new prices today or 2nd hand prices tomorrow.

I have made this point already. Not going to repeat it again.

101 - 106 of 106 Posts