Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I went to the Eden Project in my R110 ZE40, I wasn’t able to charge. Consulting Zap-Map Chat, I found this was a Zoe issue, rather than a problem with the complimentary 7kW charge points in their car park. This meant an extra stop returning home to London.

I’m going back mid August, and will hopefully have my R135 ZE50 by then. I was wondering if the new Zoe is as fussy as old Zoe about earth impedance issues?

With a longer range and faster charging times, not as big an issue. Just wondering if I’ll be able to take advantage of on-site charging. It would be handy as I’m staying at the YHA site in the park for a few days, and would be able to leave the car charging overnight.

·
Registered
ZE40 R110 EVEZY referral 8bbd0
85 Posts
I am planning to visit and stay at the YHA with our on.to ZE40 too. I didn't know they offered charging stops but now I'm seeing on zapmap that the few 22kW ones they have they give resistance error to Zoe's, and the 50kW Geniepoint is giving errors too... fantastic...

I've heard that rain might help putting the resistance down... maybe I'll have to take a bucket in case the charger is not working :S

·
Registered
15,740 Posts
Probably, but they all behave differently.

My current Zoe won't charge on the Tesla UMC for some reason...

·
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Their charging points used to be 22kW, but the new ones they got are only 7kW. I thought of the bucket of water solution as well!

It’s a shame really. They of all people should be encouraging visitors to travel there in an environmentally friendly way. Also they are sponsored by Renault, who have supplied them with a fleet of Zoes and Kangoos. Ironic really, as it appears it’s only the Zoe that can’t charge there. They must have other charging points for their own EVs.

·
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am planning to visit and stay at the YHA with our on.to ZE40 too. I didn't know they offered charging stops but now I'm seeing on zapmap that the few 22kW ones they have they give resistance error to Zoe's, and the 50kW Geniepoint is giving errors too... fantastic...

I've heard that rain might help putting the resistance down... maybe I'll have to take a bucket in case the charger is not working :S
There is a nice Polar Rapid about a 40 minute drive away at Lifton. It is situated at Strawberry Fields Farm Shop and Restaurant. A nice place to visit. I filled up there, going and coming back.

Reactions: burnt_crisps2

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Yeah, definitely. The AC charger behaves in exactly the same way. It's picky about the order you plug it in (all sorts of errors on home charger until I got it right), it's picky about the order you unplug it (cable got stuck in the Polar 7kw I picked it up from), I didn't AC rapid charge it but it'll probably panic as soon as it meets an Ultracharger.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yeah, definitely. The AC charger behaves in exactly the same way. It's picky about the order you plug it in (all sorts of errors on home charger until I got it right), it's picky about the order you unplug it (cable got stuck in the Polar 7kw I picked it up from), I didn't AC rapid charge it but it'll probably panic as soon as it meets an Ultracharger.
I’ve found ultra chargers the most reliable in my old zoe, used one today in ZE50 and was fine.

can’t say I’ve noticed the ze50 being picky I’ve plugged car in first and charger in first with no errors.

ze50 working fine on Tesla UMC also

I’ve also used the Eden project ones fine about a year ago In a zoe...

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
The only Ultracharger I used a Zoe with needed a reset before it’d charge.

But then I got the only dodgy Teslas on the planet too (if the fanboys are to be believed), so maybe I’m just unlucky

Reactions: burnt_crisps2

·
Zoe Devotee
8,935 Posts
The ZE50 has the same basic motor as the ZE40 and the R240, so they'll all be just a fussy on some AC posts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What is the best order for plugging and unplugging actually? The two times I could not get my ZE50 to charge, I drove over to another charger and tried again, but I'm afraid I won't always have that opportunity :p

·
Registered
537 Posts
What is the best order for plugging and unplugging actually? The two times I could not get my ZE50 to charge, I drove over to another charger and tried again, but I'm afraid I won't always have that opportunity :p
Car is always last to plug in when charging ... and the first thing to remove when charge stops

·
Registered
25 Posts
Car is always last to plug in when charging ... and the first thing to remove when charge stops
I've seen so much conflicting advice on this - when I got my Zoe the dealer said "Car first always", as in plug the cable into the car then into the charge point, and when done unplug from the car first then the wall... Other posts on this forum seem to advise the opposite - plug into and remove from the wall first always. Still others have a mix of the two.... Where can we go for the 100% definitive answer on this?

·
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've seen so much conflicting advice on this - when I got my Zoe the dealer said "Car first always", as in plug the cable into the car then into the charge point, and when done unplug from the car first then the wall... Other posts on this forum seem to advise the opposite - plug into and remove from the wall first always. Still others have a mix of the two.... Where can we go for the 100% definitive answer on this?
If the way you do it works...then keep doing it ;)

·
Zoe Devotee
8,935 Posts
Where can we go for the 100% definitive answer on this?
You got it from @ArthurGreenWorld

Lets look at it another way. Which end do you plug in first on a rapid, which end do you unplug when you've ended session?

As Arthur says, do the charger first and then the car.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
The most reliable method is a rain dance.

·
Registered
473 Posts
You got it from @ArthurGreenWorld

Lets look at it another way. Which end do you plug in first on a rapid, which end do you unplug when you've ended session?

As Arthur says, do the charger first and then the car.
sone points don’t release the cable until unplugged from car first!

It really makes no dfference which end you plug or unplug first basically

1 - 19 of 19 Posts